Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help needed to create a UNIX Space monitoring script Post 302883347 by rbatte1 on Monday 13th of January 2014 11:40:11 AM
Old 01-13-2014
Might I suggest you look at the output from these:-
Code:
IFS=":"
cut -f1,5 -d ":" /etc/passwd | while read userid comment       # Loop for all userids & comments

du                                                             # Display usage

cd ~abc123                                                     # Change to the home directory of user abc123

find . -type f -exec ls -l {} \; | sort -nk 5                  # List out files from current directory and below sorted in ascending size

find / -type f -user userid -exec ls -l {} \; | sort -nk 5     # List out all files owner by nominated user in ascending size

I would agree that quota-setting could sort things out better, but you have to consider the risk of write failures when a quota is exceeded. Is that a problem?

You need to be clear on what you are searching for and why. Can you explain a little more?

I hope that these suggestions help.

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help: Unix Monitoring Script

guys, i am creating a script to monitor our sun solaris unix server and email me the result of the script. currently, i am using the prtdiag -v command in the script to diagnose the hardware specs of the server. any suggestions on what else could i add like disk monitoring (using df)... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maztahvoodoo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Port Monitoring Script

Is there a script which monitors a specific port and tells whethers its listening basically i am looking for a script which we can hardcode the port number there and hardcode an email address. It should alert to the email if the port is down. any idea.?plz (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tintedwindow
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk Space Monitoring Script

#!/bin/bash # Disk Space Monitoring for more than 95 % # and Sending Alerts by Mail if ; then `df -k |awk '$5 > 95 {print $1 " ----------- " $5}' |mailx -s "More than 95% disk usage in DEV" email@test.com'; else exit 0 fi I get the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram003
8 Replies

4. Fedora

"integer expression expected" error with drive space monitoring script

Hi guys, I am still kinda new to Linux. Script template I found on the net and adapted for our environment: #!/bin/sh #set -x ADMIN="admin@mydomain.com" ALERT=10 df -H | grep -vE '^Filesystem|tmpfs|cdrom' | awk '{ print $5 " " $1 }' | while read output; do #echo $output ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbdevilliers
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Site monitoring help needed

Hi I have developed a website. Now i would like to monitor the IP address of machines who are accessing the server. The simplest possible solution to this that comes first into my mind is to use jsp inbuilt tags. <% out.print( request.getRemoteAddr() ); out.print( request.getRemoteHost()... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script assistance needed - create an archive of INI files

First and foremost - me != unix bubba. Here is the situation. We have a box with data AND settings in the same directory path. (Data files aren't in the SAME directories as settings.) I need a script that generates a tarred-up archive of only the INI files with the directory structure. We... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hindesite
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk Space Monitoring Script - OLD and NEW

It's the old thread "Disk Space Monitoring Script", modified for UNIX This is the new code: df -k | awk ' { if ( int($4) > 90) {subject = $1 " More than 90% disk usage. Used: " $4 email = "email@test.com" print subject cmd = "mailx -s \"" subject "\" " email cmd | getline... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dungureanu
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed - log file monitoring script

hi Gurus, Need to pick your brains on this minor script project. I would like to continuously monitor a log file with sample log messages as below, and if PSOldGen percentage is either 99% or 100% for consecutively 10 times, alert someone. {Heap before gc invocations=46516: PSYoungGen ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenchen722
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

WPAR monitoring shell script suggestions needed

Hi All, This is for WPAR monitoring shell script, earlier opened thread was closed, had to open a new thread, as suggested I have used script as below, But am trying to get the output in below format, need suggestions with it. Below is the lswpar output, required output format. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance Monitoring script for UNIX servers

Hi, I have been working on writing an automated script that will run 24x7 to monitor the performance parameters like CPU,Memory,Disk I/O,Network,SWAP Space etc for all types of Unix servers ( HP-UX,AIX,SOLARIS,LINUX). Problem is I am confused with the commands top,prstat,vmstat,free,sar etc.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
4 Replies
Xapian::Enquire(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Xapian::Enquire(3pm)

NAME
Search::Xapian::Enquire - Make queries against a database DESCRIPTION
This class provides an interface to the information retrieval system for the purpose of searching. METHODS
new set_query takes either a ready made Search::Xapian::Query or a scalar containing a query, which in that case will be passed to Search::Xapian::Query's constructor, together with any other passed arguments. set_query_object <query> get_query matches <start> <size> [<check_at_least>] Takes the start element, and maximum number of elements (and optionally the minimum number of matches to check), and returns an array tied to Search::Xapian::MSet::Tied. get_matching_terms_begin Returns a Search::Xapian::TermIterator, pointing to the start of the stream. get_matching_terms_end Returns a Search::Xapian::TermIterator, pointing to the end of the stream. set_collapse_key <collapse_key> set_docid_order <order> Set the direction in which documents are ordered by document id in the returned MSet. This order only has an effect on documents which would otherwise have equal rank. For a weighted probabilistic match with no sort value, this means documents with equal weight. For a boolean match, with no sort value, this means all documents. And if a sort value is used, this means documents with equal sort value (and also equal weight if ordering on relevance after the sort). order can be ENQ_ASCENDING (the default, docids sort in ascending order), ENQ_DESCENDING (docds sort in descending order), or ENQ_DONT_CARE (docids sort in whatever order is most efficient for the backend.) Note: If you add documents in strict date order, then a boolean search - i.e. set_weighting_scheme(Search::Xapian::BoolWeight->new()) - with set_docid_order(ENQ_DESCENDING) is a very efficient way to perform "sort by date, newest first". set_cutoff <percent_cutoff> [<weight_cutoff>] set_sort_by_relevance Set the sorting to be by relevance only. This is the default. set_sort_by_value <sort_key> [<ascending>] Set the sorting to be by value only. sort_key - value number to reorder on. Sorting is with a string compare. If ascending is true (the default) higher is better; if ascending is false, lower is better. ascending - If true, document values which sort higher by string compare are better. If false, the sort order is reversed. (default true) set_sort_by_value_then_relevance <sort_key> [<ascending>] Set the sorting to be by value, then by relevance for documents with the same value. sort_key - value number to reorder on. Sorting is with a string compare. If ascending is true (the default) higher is better; if ascending is false, lower is better. ascending - If true, document values which sort higher by string compare are better. If false, the sort order is reversed. (default true) set_sort_by_relevance_then_value <sort_key> [<ascending>] Set the sorting to be by relevance then value. Note that with the default BM25 weighting scheme parameters, non-identical documents will rarely have the same weight, so this setting will give very similar results to set_sort_by_relevance(). It becomes more useful with particular BM25 parameter settings (e.g. BM25Weight(1,0,1,0,0)) or custom weighting schemes. sort_key - value number to reorder on. Sorting is with a string compare. If ascending is true (the default) higher is better; if ascending is false, lower is better. ascending - If true, document values which sort higher by string compare are better. If false, the sort order is reversed. (default true) set_sort_by_key <sorter> [<ascending>] Set the sorting to be by key only. sorter - the functor to use to build the key. ascending - If true, keys which sort higher by string compare are better. If false, the sort order is reversed. (default true) set_sort_by_key_then_relevance <sorter> [<ascending>] Set the sorting to be by key, then by relevance for documents with the same key. sorter - the functor to use to build the key. ascending - If true, keys which sort higher by string compare are better. If false, the sort order is reversed. (default true) set_sort_by_relevance_then_key <sorter> [<ascending>] Set the sorting to be by relevance then key. sorter - the functor to use to build the key. ascending - If true, keys which sort higher by string compare are better. If false, the sort order is reversed. (default true) get_mset Get match set. get_eset <maxitems> <rset> [<decider>] Get set of query expansion terms. get_description Return a description of this object. SEE ALSO
Search::Xapian::Query, Search::Xapian::Database perl v5.14.2 2012-05-09 Xapian::Enquire(3pm)