Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help needed to create a UNIX Space monitoring script Post 302883347 by rbatte1 on Monday 13th of January 2014 11:40:11 AM
Old 01-13-2014
Might I suggest you look at the output from these:-
Code:
IFS=":"
cut -f1,5 -d ":" /etc/passwd | while read userid comment       # Loop for all userids & comments

du                                                             # Display usage

cd ~abc123                                                     # Change to the home directory of user abc123

find . -type f -exec ls -l {} \; | sort -nk 5                  # List out files from current directory and below sorted in ascending size

find / -type f -user userid -exec ls -l {} \; | sort -nk 5     # List out all files owner by nominated user in ascending size

I would agree that quota-setting could sort things out better, but you have to consider the risk of write failures when a quota is exceeded. Is that a problem?

You need to be clear on what you are searching for and why. Can you explain a little more?

I hope that these suggestions help.

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help: Unix Monitoring Script

guys, i am creating a script to monitor our sun solaris unix server and email me the result of the script. currently, i am using the prtdiag -v command in the script to diagnose the hardware specs of the server. any suggestions on what else could i add like disk monitoring (using df)... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maztahvoodoo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Port Monitoring Script

Is there a script which monitors a specific port and tells whethers its listening basically i am looking for a script which we can hardcode the port number there and hardcode an email address. It should alert to the email if the port is down. any idea.?plz (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tintedwindow
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk Space Monitoring Script

#!/bin/bash # Disk Space Monitoring for more than 95 % # and Sending Alerts by Mail if ; then `df -k |awk '$5 > 95 {print $1 " ----------- " $5}' |mailx -s "More than 95% disk usage in DEV" email@test.com'; else exit 0 fi I get the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram003
8 Replies

4. Fedora

"integer expression expected" error with drive space monitoring script

Hi guys, I am still kinda new to Linux. Script template I found on the net and adapted for our environment: #!/bin/sh #set -x ADMIN="admin@mydomain.com" ALERT=10 df -H | grep -vE '^Filesystem|tmpfs|cdrom' | awk '{ print $5 " " $1 }' | while read output; do #echo $output ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbdevilliers
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Site monitoring help needed

Hi I have developed a website. Now i would like to monitor the IP address of machines who are accessing the server. The simplest possible solution to this that comes first into my mind is to use jsp inbuilt tags. <% out.print( request.getRemoteAddr() ); out.print( request.getRemoteHost()... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script assistance needed - create an archive of INI files

First and foremost - me != unix bubba. Here is the situation. We have a box with data AND settings in the same directory path. (Data files aren't in the SAME directories as settings.) I need a script that generates a tarred-up archive of only the INI files with the directory structure. We... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hindesite
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk Space Monitoring Script - OLD and NEW

It's the old thread "Disk Space Monitoring Script", modified for UNIX This is the new code: df -k | awk ' { if ( int($4) > 90) {subject = $1 " More than 90% disk usage. Used: " $4 email = "email@test.com" print subject cmd = "mailx -s \"" subject "\" " email cmd | getline... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dungureanu
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed - log file monitoring script

hi Gurus, Need to pick your brains on this minor script project. I would like to continuously monitor a log file with sample log messages as below, and if PSOldGen percentage is either 99% or 100% for consecutively 10 times, alert someone. {Heap before gc invocations=46516: PSYoungGen ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenchen722
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

WPAR monitoring shell script suggestions needed

Hi All, This is for WPAR monitoring shell script, earlier opened thread was closed, had to open a new thread, as suggested I have used script as below, But am trying to get the output in below format, need suggestions with it. Below is the lswpar output, required output format. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance Monitoring script for UNIX servers

Hi, I have been working on writing an automated script that will run 24x7 to monitor the performance parameters like CPU,Memory,Disk I/O,Network,SWAP Space etc for all types of Unix servers ( HP-UX,AIX,SOLARIS,LINUX). Problem is I am confused with the commands top,prstat,vmstat,free,sar etc.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
4 Replies
CMDTEST(1)						      General Commands Manual							CMDTEST(1)

NAME
cmdtest - blackbox testing of Unix command line tools SYNOPSIS
cmdtest [-c=COMMAND] [--command=COMMAND] [--config=FILE] [--dump-config] [--dump-memory-profile=METHOD] [--dump-setting-names] [--generate-manpage=TEMPLATE] [-h] [--help] [-k] [--keep] [--list-config-files] [--log=FILE] [--log-keep=N] [--log-level=LEVEL] [--log-max=SIZE] [--no-default-configs] [--output=FILE] [-t=TEST] [--test=TEST] [--timings] [--version] [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
cmdtest black box tests Unix command line tools. Given some test scripts, their inputs, and expected outputs, it verifies that the command line produces the expected output. If not, it reports problems, and shows the differences. Each test case foo consists of the following files: foo.script a script to run the test (this is required) foo.stdin the file fed to standard input foo.stdout the expected output to the standard output foo.stderr the expected output to the standard error foo.exit the expected exit code foo.setup a shell script to run before the test foo.teardown a shell script to run after test Usually, a single test is not enough. All tests are put into the same directory, and they may share some setup and teardown code: setup-once a shell script to run once, before any tests setup a shell script to run before each test teardown a shell script to run after each test teardown-once a shell script to run once, after all tests cmdtest is given the name of the directory with all the tests, or several such directories, and it does the following: o execute setup-once o for each test case (unique prefix foo): -- execute setup -- execute foo.setup -- execute the command, by running foo.script, and redirecting standard input to come from foo.stdin, and capturing standard output and error and exit codes -- execute foo.teardown -- execute teardown -- report result of test: does exit code match foo.exit, standard output match foo.stdout, and standard error match foo.stderr? o execute teardown-once Except for foo.script, all of these files are optional. If a setup or teardown script is missing, it is simply not executed. If one of the standard input, output, or error files is missing, it is treated as if it were empty. If the exit code file is missing, it is treated as if it specified an exit code of zero. The shell scripts may use the following environment variables: DATADIR a temporary directory where files may be created by the test TESTNAME name of the current test (will be empty for setup-once and teardown-once) SRCDIR directory from which cmdtest was launched OPTIONS
-c, --command=COMMAND ignored for backwards compatibility --config=FILE add FILE to config files --dump-config write out the entire current configuration --dump-memory-profile=METHOD make memory profiling dumps using METHOD, which is one of: none, simple, meliae, or heapy (default: simple) --dump-setting-names write out all names of settings and quit --generate-manpage=TEMPLATE fill in manual page TEMPLATE -h, --help show this help message and exit -k, --keep keep temporary data on failure --list-config-files list all possible config files --log=FILE write log entries to FILE (default is to not write log files at all); use "syslog" to log to system log --log-keep=N keep last N logs (10) --log-level=LEVEL log at LEVEL, one of debug, info, warning, error, critical, fatal (default: debug) --log-max=SIZE rotate logs larger than SIZE, zero for never (default: 0) --no-default-configs clear list of configuration files to read --output=FILE write output to FILE, instead of standard output -t, --test=TEST run only TEST (can be given many times) --timings report how long each test takes --version show program's version number and exit EXAMPLE
To test that the echo(1) command outputs the expected string, create a file called echo-tests/hello.script containing the following con- tent: #!/bin/sh echo hello, world Also create the file echo-tests/hello.stdout containing: hello, world Then you can run the tests: $ cmdtest echo-tests test 1/1 1/1 tests OK, 0 failures If you change the stdout file to be something else, cmdtest will report the differences: $ cmdtest echo-tests FAIL: hello: stdout diff: --- echo-tests/hello.stdout 2011-09-11 19:14:47 +0100 +++ echo-tests/hello.stdout-actual 2011-09-11 19:14:49 +0100 @@ -1 +1 @@ -something else +hello, world test 1/1 0/1 tests OK, 1 failures Furthermore, the echo-tests directory will contain the actual output files, and diffs from the expected files. If one of the actual output files is actually correct, you can actualy rename it to be the expected file. Actually, that's a very convenient way of creating the ex- pected output files: you run the test, fixing things, until you've manually checked the actual output is correct, then you rename the file. SEE ALSO
cliapp(5). CMDTEST(1)