Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX IBM AIX Internal HDD vs SAN HDD and Oracle Post 302883312 by rbatte1 on Monday 13th of January 2014 09:11:47 AM
Old 01-13-2014
We have seen differences in performance of a similar scale and nature.

Internal/local disk is managed by your server and it is responsible for all the real IO, writing the bits to the disk controllers and getting the acknowledgement when the update is made to the brown-spinning part.

With SAN storage, the request by your OS to write data is accepted and confirmed by the SAN before the data is really written to disk. It's written to the SAN cache, but as far as your OS is concerned, then transaction is complete and processing can continue.

A SAN disk array will have a large cache dedicated to holding write requests and flushing them to real disk in large IO writes. This is why all SAN disk arrays will have batteries to keep the cache alive in the event of a power failure. This is in addition to any UPS you may have in place. A SAN shutdown can also be done in two ways roughly described as immediate and controlled. In the controlled shutdown, the cache is flushed and the SAN disk is consistent. An Immediate shutdown does not flush the cache and is quicker. It has no difference for the actual data stored unless the battery fails or is replaced.

As to a way to measure it, I suppose you are into creating a large complex file and copying it about a few times. By complex, I mean something that compression software will not easily deal with. My way to do this (mainly for testing FTP speed) is to tar up some large files and compress them, then append them a few times to get the size big enough.

If your hardware can support it, then it can be beneficial to have everything as SAN storage, including the OS and paging space. The limitation then becomes the connection speed to the SAN.

If you replicate your SAN to another site, then this takes care of updates to the boot disks / rootvg / vg00 (whatever you want to call it) that may affect the DR position. Of course, the IP address will be replicated so you have to handle that along with a process to use perhaps different hardware at the remote site.

It is, however no substitute for backups as errors / corruption will also be replicated honestly.

I hope that this helps.

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Hdd problem, help!!!

Hi, My HP-UX has some errors to wake up and one of them are: /dev/vg00/rlvol4 BAD CYLINDER GROUPS I have thought that my hdd has physical problems, my question is: Exists a program to check the hdd physically and to repair it... Thanks.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: efrenba
0 Replies

2. Ubuntu

How can I get Knoppix on HDD

Umm How can I get the Knoppix can be booted off my hard drive instead of the CD. I dont like using the CD. :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shade11
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Partioning HDD

Hi theres I am quite new to solaris, I have 40GB HDD in which I have created only 10 GB partition & installed solaris 10. Now I want to add another 10GB from remaining 30GB space. I tried this with format utility but I get stuck after I create fdsik partition. After creating this I cant... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: i_mroy
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a new HDD

I am adding a new HDD to a Unix Sco Release 5 webserver. I consider myself a windows pro. However, growing up in the late 90's means I have little Unix knowledge. I know the HDD has to be mounted and formatted correctly. Can anyone give me any advice on this? A dummy's guide to installing a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffreydavisjr
5 Replies

5. AIX

ibm san cache battery with aix

Hi All, I would like to share this incident that happened the other day. I have a question with this, https://www.unix.com/aix/64921-create-new-vg-san-rename-fs.html And I thought it's related to the above link but the problem was the ibm san 4300 cache battery was dead and I need to click... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Old HDD copy to new HDD ? im lost...

Over the last few months the HDD spins louder and louder, so I fiqured its time to replace the HDD. Its been running 24/7/365 since 98 :eek:. yes i said since 98 :D I have an IBM system 43P Model 240. 233 MHz. running AIX Version 4. The current HDD is an IBM DGHS COMP IEC -950 FRU PN#... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chevy89rocks
5 Replies

7. Solaris

New HDD Installation

All, I am a complete grasshopper when it comes to Unix, so here goes. I have a Solaris 9 server, running two 36GB HDD in a mirrored configuration. I am running low on disk space, and have purchased an additional 145GB HDD. Can anyone point me in the direction to some documentation on how to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ptvenom427
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

External HDD

I need to get an external HDD for a SUN server running Solaris 10. The Western Digital that I have will not recognize and when I went looking for drivers WD only has them for MAC and Windows. Is there a External HDD that is known to work with Unix? (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIFT3R
24 Replies

9. AIX

IBM AIX - SAN Storage DS4300 issue

Hi, This is follow up to the post https://www.unix.com/aix/233361-san-disk-appearing-double-aix.html When I connected Pseries Machine HBA Card ( Dual Port ) directly to the SAN Storage DS4300 , I was able to see Host Port Adapter WWN numbers , although I was getting this message... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

BMW GT1 DIS - SCO 5.0 and Oracle 7 Root HDD Clone - IBM T30

Greeting All Diag tool HDD clone SCO 5 + Oracle 7 DB ( IBM T30 ) I am new to this forum and my knowledge on computers OS is average . I have just acquired a factory diag tool for BMW/RR/MINI from a retired mechanic. Its runs on a IBM T30 laptop with a Unix/Oracle DB system. Sco 5... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmw635
8 Replies
presto(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							 presto(4)

Name
       presto - the Prestoserve pseudodevice driver

Syntax
       #include <sys/presto.h>
       #include <sys/prestoioctl.h>

pseudo-device  presto

Description
       The Prestoserve pseudodevice driver caches synchronous writes in nonvolatile memory.  Prestoserve causes synchronous writes to be performed
       at memory speeds, rather than at disk speeds.  Synchronous writes that result in Prestoserve cache hits do not perform the earlier physical
       disk writes, because only the last write is actually performed by Prestoserve.  Therefore, 50% to 65% of all the physical disk write opera-
       tions are avoided, because every sequential NFS write to a file also causes the inode and the indirect block to be synchronously written.

The driver is layered on other disk drivers, and it intercepts the other drivers' I/O requests by replacing the entry points of the  origi-
       nal  driver  in	the bdevsw and cdevsw tables. The driver caches the intercepted synchronous write requests in the Prestoserve cache's non-
       volatile memory.  When Prestoserve needs to perform actual I/O, it calls the original driver's entry points to perform the I/O.	A modified
       form of Least Recently Used (LRU) replacement determines when the Prestoserve cache data needs to be written to the intended disks.

An  accelerated disk device (one that has the pseudodevice driver layered on top of its driver), uses the same major and minor devices that
       it used before it was accelerated.

The Prestoserve nonvolatile memory must be found at boot time in order for Prestoserve to perform its write-caching function.  In addition,
       Prestoserve  must  pass	diagnostic tests, and there must be sufficient backup battery power to guarantee a reasonable amount of cache data
       stability (measured in days or weeks) in the event of a power  or  hardware  failure.   See  the  appropriate  appendix	in  the  Guide	to
       Prestoserve for information on specific processors.

If the Prestoserve nonvolatile memory is not found or if there is not enough backup battery power, then the disks are not accelerated; how-
       ever they can be opened and used as usual.  In this case, the driver simply passes all I/O requests directly  through  to  the  appropriate
       device.

Operation
       When Prestoserve is in the PRUP state, it caches all synchronous write requests for enabled file systems and block devices to the driver in
       nonvolatile memory and writes the Prestoserve cache data asynchronously to the intended disks.

When Prestoserve is in the PRDOWN state, there is no data in the Prestoserve cache, no data is put into the Prestoserve cache, and all disk
       requests are passed directly to the real disk driver.

When  Prestoserve  is  in  the PRERROR state, the data in the Prestoserve cache can not be written to the intended disks because of a disk,
       system, or hardware error.

When the system is shut down normally by using the system call from the or command, the Prestoserve cache data is written to  the  intended
       disks,  and Prestoserve enters the PRDOWN state.  This allows you to fix any system or disk error or to upgrade or change your system with-
       out losing the data in the Prestoserve cache or corrupting your disks.

If your system was shut down without following normal shutdown procedures, and you reboot the system, any data in the Prestoserve cache	is
       written	to  the intended disks, if possible.  If the data is successfully written to the intended disks (and if the nonvolatile memory and
       backup battery passed the diagnostic tests), Prestoserve enters the PRDOWN state.  If an  error	occurs,  Prestoserve  enters  the  PRERROR
       state.	Data  can  exist  in  the Prestoserve cache after you reboot the system only in the event of a previous power failure, disk device
       error, or kernel crash that resulted from a software or hardware problem.

If an error from a disk device occurs or if the backup battery power is insufficient, Prestoserve writes the cache  data  to  the  intended
       disks, if possible, and enters the PRERROR state.  When Prestoserve is in the PRERROR state,  new data that is written to a block not found
       in the Prestoserve cache is passed directly to the real disk driver.  If new data is written to	a  block  that	is  found  in  the  cache,
       Prestoserve replaces the existing block and attempts to write the block to the real disk driver to determine if the error condition on that
       block still exists.  If the write is successful and if all the  Prestoserve cache data can be written to the  intended  disks,  Prestoserve
       leaves the PRERROR state.

The  Prestoserve  cache	never  discards data without being explicitly told to do so by using a PRRESET ioctl command.  This can be done by
       using the command.  This command should only be used when there is a fatal disk error and when the data is not important.

ioctl Commands
       The pseudodevice driver does not intercept ioctl commands;  they go directly to the actual disk driver.	The following ioctl  commands  can
       be performed on the Prestoserve control device Some ioctl commands affect all of Prestoserve operation, while others only affect a particu-
       lar accelerated file system.

PRGETSTATUS
	      The argument to ioctl is a pointer to a presto_status structure, which contains battery status information, Prestoserve state,  cur-
	      rent and maximum nonvolatile memory sizes, and various Prestoserve statistics.

PRSETSTATE
	      The  argument  to  ioctl is a pointer to an int.	The int can be either PRUP to enable Prestoserve or PRDOWN to disable Prestoserve.
	      When a system reboots, Prestoserve is in the PRDOWN state and must be explicitly enabled by an ioctl.   You  enable  Prestoserve	by
	      using the command, which can be placed in the file.   When Prestoserve goes from the PRDOWN state to the PRUP state, the Prestoserve
	      I/O statistics are reset.  When Prestoserve goes from the PRUP state to the PRDOWN state, all the Prestoserve buffers are written to
	      the intended disks, and the buffers are invalidated.

PRSETMEMSZ
	      The argument to ioctl is a pointer to an int.  This int is the size in bytes of the Prestoserve nonvolatile memory to be used.  This
	      size cannot be larger than the maximum size reported in the presto_status structure.

PRRESET
	      The argument to ioctl is ignored.  Like the PRSETSTATE ioctl, PRRESET sets the Prestoserve state to PRDOWN, but it  also	reinitial-
	      izes all of nonvolatile Prestoserve memory.  If Prestoserve was in the PRERROR state and some Prestoserve buffers could not be writ-
	      ten to the intended disks because of disk I/O errors, the data in the buffers is lost.  This is the only method you can use to force
	      Prestoserve to discard data that cannot be written to disk, and it can be accomplished by using the command.

PRFLUSH
	      The argument to ioctl is ignored.  All the data in the Prestoserve buffers is written to the intended disks, but the buffers are not
	      invalidated. This command can be used by a daemon that flushes the cache periodically to minimize the risk to data in the event of a
	      catastrophic failure.  The cache data can be flushed to the intended disks by using the command.

PRGETUPRTAB
	      The argument to ioctl is a pointer to a struct uprtab.  On input, the field upt_bmajordev specifies the block device major number of
	      the device whose struct uprtab should be returned.  The field upt_bmajordev is set to NODEV , which is defined in the header file if
	      the  requested device does not exist or if it is not accelerated.  The struct uprtab contains a upt_enabled field that is a bit vec-
	      tor indexed by a minor device number and that indicates whether the minor device number has Prestoserve caching enabled.

PRNEXTUPRTAB
	      The argument to ioctl is a pointer to a struct uprtab.  This ioctl returns the struct uprtab for the  accelerated  device  with  the
	      smallest	block device major number that is greater than the bmajordev field of the struct uprtab argument.  This allows each accel-
	      erated device's struct uprtab to be retrieved sequentially by specifying the previous device's block device major number. To get the
	      first  accelerated  device's  struct uprtab, set the upt_bmajordev field to NODEV .  Use the same struct uprtab that was returned on
	      the previous call for the next call.  When the upt_bmajordev field of the argument struct uprtab is greater than	or  equal  to  the
	      last accelerated device's major block device number, the struct uprtab that is returned has the upt_bmajordev field set to NODEV.

PRENABLE
	      The argument to ioctl is a pointer to a dev_t.  This enables Prestoserve caching on the specified file system or block device.

PRDISABLE
	      The argument to ioctl is a pointer to a dev_t.  If all cached data for the specified file system or block device can be successfully
	      written to disk, Prestoserve caching is disabled for this file system or block device.

Diagnostics
       Prestoserve license not registered
       This message is displayed if you attempt to use Prestoserve on a system that has not had its license registered. It is necessary to  regis-
       ter a valid license in order to use Prestoserve.

presto: using %d bytes of NVRAM at 0x%x
       This  message  is  displayed  at boot time and indicates that Prestoserve recognized its control information portion of the cache.  It is a
       normal Prestoserve startup message.

presto: initializing %d bytes of NVRAM at 0x%x
       This message is displayed at boot time and indicates that Prestoserve did not recognize the cache as being in either a clean (containing no
       data)  or a dirty (containing data) state.  The message is usually displayed when the cache is used for the first time, after the cache has
       been cleared by using a diagnostic command, or after backup battery failure.

presto: NVRAM tested %s
       This message is displayed at boot time, and it indicates that the cache tested as either "read/write ok" or "readonly ok."  The message	is
       a normal Prestoserve startup message.

presto: %s battery %s
       The  status  for the primary battery or a secondary battery, if applicable, is reported as either OK , LOW , or DISABLED .  This message is
       displayed at boot time and when there is a change in the state of the backup battery power level.

presto: cache contains dirty data
       This message is displayed at boot time if Prestoserve was not shut down by using the normal system shutdown procedures.

presto: %d dirty buffers found
       This message indicates that dirty buffers were found after the system rebooted.	The data is written to the intended disks as soon as  pos-
       sible, usually when the first I/O request occurs for any accelerated device.

presto: writing dirty buffers
       This message indicates that Prestoserve has begun to write the data in the dirty buffers to the intended disks.

presto: dirty buffers written
       This message indicates that the data in the dirty buffers has been successfully written to the intended disks.

presto: using software version %d -- version %d last used
       This  message  is  displayed at boot time and indicates that the kernel is now being run with a version of the Prestoserve software that is
       different from the version used previously.  Usually, this message is displayed when you first boot the system after performing a  software
       upgrade.

presto: expected sizes %d, %d -- found %d, %d
       This message indicates that the block size and fragment size in the Prestoserve control information portion of the cache are different from
       the information that was expected.  This message should only be displayed when you first  boot  the  system  after  performing  a  software
       upgrade.

presto: NVRAM increased from %d to %d bytes at 0x%x
       This  message  indicates  that only a portion of the Prestoserve cache was being used when the system was shut down, but now Prestoserve is
       using the entire cache.	The command, which changes the size of the Prestoserve cache, is described in in the ULTRIX Reference Pages.

presto: decreased from %d to %d bytes!
       This message indicates that a hardware or software problem exists because the size of the Prestoserve cache at reboot is less than the size
       of the cache when the system shut down.

presto: dirty buffers found for host id 0x%x,
       which is different from this host's id (0x%x)
       This  message  is  displayed at boot time and indicates that Prestoserve was not shut down normally and that the cache contents were previ-
       ously in a different system (for example, either the cache was moved or the system ID, which is	usually  the  on-board	Ethernet  hardware
       address,  has changed).	Prestoserve allows you to do one of the following interactively: discard the data, write the data to disk, or halt
       the machine.

The Prestoserve cache failed memory self-tests.
       The cache may contain data which has not been written to disk yet.
       When these messages are displayed, Prestoserve allows you to do one of the following interactively:  continue with the  boot  or  halt  the
       machine.

presto: error %d opening dev (%d, %d), skipping writing of its buffers...
       This  message indicates that dirty Prestoserve buffers were found after the system rebooted, and the data in the dirty buffers could not be
       written to the specified device because the device failed to open.  You should verify that the device is online and that  the  kernel  suc-
       cessfully found the device at boot time.  Refer to in the ULTRIX Reference Pages for a complete description of the error.

presto: error %d opening block device (%d, %d)
       This  message indicates that the specified device failed to open.  You should check your disk configuration and make sure that the drive is
       on line.  Refer to in the ULTRIX Reference Pages for a complete description of the error.

presto: error %d ioctl'ing dev (%d, %d)
       This message indicates that an ioctl failed for the specified device.  Refer to in the ULTRIX Reference Pages for a complete description of
       the error.

presto: can NOT do direct I/0 for block device (%d, %d)
       presto: using block device (%d, %d) in `bounceio' mode
       These messages indicate that the disk controller for the specified device could not directly address the cache when Prestoserve was enabled
       on the file system or block device.  Refer to the Guide to Prestoserve for information about bounceio state.

presto: flush dirty buffers
       This message is displayed when Prestoserve is in the PRERROR state and receives a request to write the  data  in  a  dirty  buffer  to  the
       intended disks.

presto: Block device %d not present or is not Presto-ized in this kernel!
       This  message  indicates  that  Prestoserve  was  not shut down cleanly, and the system was previously running a kernel with an accelerated
       device that the current kernel does not accelerate.  You should boot a kernel that accelerates all the devices that were previously  accel-
       erated.

presto: NVRAM probe error
       This  message is displayed at system startup if a Prestoserve cache read/write error occurred, and it indicates that the cache could not be
       accessed.  It indicates a hardware or software error.

presto: failed to write and read 0x%x from 0x%x
       This message indicates that the Prestoserve cache failed the read/write test at the specified address.

presto: error on dev (%d, %d)
       This message indicates that an I/O error occurred on the specified disk during a Prestoserve write-back operation.

presto: not enough backup battery power!
       This message indicates that there is inadequate backup battery power.  Prestoserve attempts to write all  Prestoserve  cache  data  to  the
       intended disks and then enters the PRERROR state.

presto: disabling...
       This  message indicates that Prestoserve disabled itself because of inadequate backup battery power or because a disk error occurred during
       a write to disk.

presto: back online!
       This message indicates that a disk error or low backup battery power condition has been corrected and that Prestoserve is enabled again.

Errors
       [EACCESS]   Indicates that Prestoserve is not registered for use on this system.

[EPERM]	   Indicates that a caller whose uid is not root tried to use the PRSETSTATE, PRSETMEMSZ, PRRESET, PRENABLE or PRDISABLE command.

[EBUSY]	   Indicates that you tried to use the PRSETSTATE, PRSETMEMSZ, or PRDISABLE command, but a fatal disk error or a  battery  problem
		   exists.

[ENOMEM]    Indicates  that  the  memory size you specified in the PRSETSTATE command exceeds the maximum size of the cache reported in the
		   presto_status structure.

[ENODEV]    Indicates that Prestoserve was not successfully started at boot time, or it indicates that you used the PRENABLE  or  PRDISABLE
		   command  and  the device specified by dev_t is not a device initialized for use with Prestoserve or an error occurred in trying
		   to open/ioctl the device.

[EINVAL]    Indicates that an invalid argument was specified with the PRSETMEMSZ or PRSETSTATE command or that an invalid command was used.

Files
       Generic Prestoserve control device

See Also
       errno(2), ioctl(2), presto(8), dxpresto(8X), prestoctl_svc(8)
       Guide to Prestoserve

presto(4)