Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Converting date +%j into integer Post 302883291 by rbatte1 on Monday 13th of January 2014 06:02:23 AM
Old 01-13-2014
You could also user typeset to force the variable to be an integer:-
Code:
typeset -i Var1=$(date +%j)

I have noticed a difference in the output from this depending on the OS though.

It seems that AIX (4, 5 and 6) & HP-UX 11 do what I expect, but RHEL (bash & ksh93) computes this to set Var=11

Maybe it's to do with the version of the shell, but AIX 6 has ksh93 available and that works as I expect (value of 13). Something to be tested first. Maybe this would be safer:-
Code:
Var1=`date +%j`
Var1="${Var1##*0}"

Robin

Last edited by rbatte1; 01-13-2014 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: Grammar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command for converting string to integer

Hi ... I am trying to calculate the time needed for a command to execute.. but the resulting value is getting as string.. so i am not able to use "expr " command.. please help me to convert the value to integer so that i can proceed with my script.. Regards esham (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: esham
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting a decimal into integer

Hi all, I'm trying to convert a decimal number into an integer number; I'm doing this: n=`echo |awk '{ print "'"$mem"'"*10}'` where the variable mem is equal to 3.7 I'd like to obtain 37, but the expression above gives me 30. Help please!!!! thx a lot (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: idro
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting a String variable into Integer

Hi, I am passing a variable to a unix function. However when I try to assign the value to another variable like typeset -i I_CACHE_VAL=$2 Is this because of String to Integer conversion? I get an error. Please help me with thsi. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeto
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting integer to String

Hi everyone, I would like to know how to convert an integer to a string. for instance if i=1 i would like to creat a variable called constant1. i want to do this in a for loop so for each value of i, i create a new variable such as constant2, constant3,... and so on. for i in 1 2 3 do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ROOZ
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting decimal to integer

The shell mentioned below will show a warning if the page takes more than 6 seconds to load. The problem is that myduration variable is not an integer. How do I convert it to integer? myduration=$(curl http://192.168.50.1/mantisbt/view.php?id=1 -w %{time_total}) > /dev/null ; ] && echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Month into Integer

okay so i run an openssl command to get the date of an expired script. Doing so gives me this: enddate=Jun 26 23:59:59 2012 GMT Then i cut everything out and just leave the month which is "Jun" Now the next part of my script is to tell the user if the the certificate is expired or not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shade917
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting a date to friday date and finding Min/Max date

Dear all, I have 2 questions. I have a file with many rows which has date of the format YYYYMMDD. 1. I need to change the date to that weeks friday date(Ex: 20120716(monday) to 20120720). Satuday/Sunday has to be changed to next week friday date too. 2. After converting the date to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2001.arun
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting string to integer

I have a function that is supposed to check for user processes and wait for 0 count before exiting the function. I am sure I have more than one issue in my code, but the stumbling block right now is that I am trying to convert the value of my variable from a string to integer. process_count... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting String To Integer/Float (weird case)

Hi guys, I'm new here. I have a problem at work. One of our scripts was eventually having a bug and only detected recently. Here's the issue and background: Bash Script which calls AWK script Awk script returns a string as per below (example):var1='00000-123'So, when we convert it, the... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekfarok
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting time format as Integer to seconds

Hello, How can we convert date like format 20181004171050 in seconds ? I can able to convert till date but failing for HHMMSS. date -d "20181004" "+%s" output as 1538596800 . But when i add hhmmss it is failing date -d "20181004172000" "+%s" result Invalid date Kindly guide. Regards (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
16 Replies
IRSEND(1)								FSF								 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.8.7pre1 May 2010 IRSEND(1)