Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to kill a thread among several threads belongs to a process? Post 302883257 by Don Cragun on Sunday 12th of January 2014 06:02:30 PM
Old 01-12-2014
It isn't clear whether you're asking for a way for one thread in a process to send a signal to another thread in the same process (which can be done with pthread_kill()), or to send a signal from an external process to a particular thread in another process (which cannot be done unless the process containing the thread to be signaled provides an interface to allow that to happen).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When kill doesnt work, how to kill a process ?

Hi All, I am unable to kill a process using kill command. I am using HP-UX system. I have tried with kill -9 and i have root privilages. How can i terminate this daemon ? ? ? Regards, Vijay Hegde (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayHegde
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to kill threads in solaris

Any idea how to kill threads (not processes) in solaris? I had checked the man pages for both kill and pkill to no avail. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: izy100
9 Replies

3. Programming

kill(0,-9) don't kill the process

Hi all i have simple c program , when i wish to kill the app im using kill(0,-9) , but it seams this command don't do any thing and the program. just ignore it . what im doing wrong here ? im using HP-UX ia64 Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
9 Replies

4. Programming

Can SIGTERM to main process kill the detached threads?

Hi, I am stuck up with a strange problem. I am writing an application - a kinda tracker that reads data from memcache and invokes theads to process each record of the memcache. I dont want to join all my threads because my tracker should poll the cache in regular intervals say sum 300... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepti_v25
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process without using kill command

Sorry, posted the question in other forum. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
0 Replies

6. Linux

Kill a process without using kill command

I want to Kill a process without using kill command as i don't have privileges to kill the process. I know the pid and i am using Linux 2.6.9 OS. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Kill Process(number of process) Unix/Solaris

Hi Experts, we do have a shell script for Unix Solaris, which will kill all the process manullay, it used to work in my previous env, but now it is throwing this error.. could some one please help me to resolve it This is how we execute the script (and this is the requirement) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyvic
2 Replies

8. Programming

creating multiple threads using single thread id

Hi all, Can I create multiple threads using single thread_id like pthread_t thread_id; pthread_create(&thread_id, NULL, &print_xs, NULL); pthread_create(&thread_id, NULL, &print_ys, NULL); pthread_create(&thread_id, NULL, &print_zs, NULL); pthread_join(thread_id, NULL); what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zing_foru
2 Replies

9. Programming

Child threads communicating with main thread via pipes

I have a simple client/server program I am using for learning purposes. I have it setup so that after server is setup and listening it than goes into a loop where it accepts incoming client connections. After each connection, the client socket is than passed to a thread routine where it can be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Majortom71
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies
pthread_kill(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  pthread_kill(3C)

NAME
pthread_kill - send a signal to a thread SYNOPSIS
cc -mt [ flag... ] file... -lpthread [ library... ] #include <signal.h> #include <pthread.h> int pthread_kill(pthread_t thread, int sig); DESCRIPTION
The pthread_kill() function sends the sig signal to the thread designated by thread. The thread argument must be a member of the same process as the calling thread. The sig argument must be one of the signals listed in signal.h(3HEAD), with the exception of SIGCANCEL being reserved and off limits to pthread_kill(). If sig is 0, a validity check is performed for the existence of the target thread; no signal is sent. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the function returns a value of 0. Otherwise the function returns an error number. If the pthread_kill() func- tion fails, no signal is sent. ERRORS
The pthread_kill() function will fail if: ESRCH No thread could be found corresponding to that specified by the given thread ID. EINVAL The value of the sig argument is an invalid or unsupported signal number. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
kill(1), pthread_self(3C), pthread_sigmask(3C), raise(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 23 Mar 2005 pthread_kill(3C)