Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Running strace command
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Running strace command Post 302883040 by Corona688 on Friday 10th of January 2014 01:08:24 PM
Old 01-10-2014
How busy it is depends on what it's tracing. If it makes lots of system calls, it makes strace do more work. It's more liable to slow down whatever it's tracing than your system in general. strace may generate enormous logfiles if left to run unattended.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help running strace

OK so I wanted to know how does grep outputs to the pipe and how sort reads from it. So I run a strace over "grep blah myfile | sort" and this is what I got: open("myfile", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 3 fstat64(3, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0600, st_size=84, ...}) = 0 read(3, "blah blah and blah cause of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: klam
4 Replies

2. SuSE

inconsistent ls command display at the command prompt & running as a cron job

Sir, I using the following commands in a file (part of a bigger script): #!/bin/bash cd /opt/oracle/bin ls -lt | tail -1 | awk '{print $6}' >> /tmp/ramb.out If I run this from the command prompt the result is: 2007-05-16 if I run it as a cron job then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajranibl
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

strace

Hi Gurus, I need to trace a sqlplus session using strace. Can someone please provide me the syntax. sorry was not able to figure out by reading the man page. :-( i tried to do as below but getting the error xt33db006/u1/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/asm_1$ strace -f sqlplus '/as sysdba'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: p4cldba
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ioctl : strace

Hi All, int ioctl(int d, int request, ...); Can somebody tell me how does ioctl decides the input parameter: "request". Sometimes, its SNDCTL_TMR_TIMEBASE or TCGETS or FIONREAD...etc. What is the pattern?? I am asking this coz my strace returns this: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: angad.makkar
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

strace

Hi, does anyone know the equivalent command of the following in AIX : $ strace -tp 15033 Process 15033 attached - interrupt to quit 11:28:06 gettimeofday({1257766086, 104118}, NULL) = 0 11:28:06 getrusage(RUSAGE_SELF, {ru_utime={2270, 615813}, ru_stime={0, 634903}, ...}) = 0 Thank you (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help on strace output

Hi All, Good day, need some help on strace result. We're encountering oracle Database server connection slowness (using sqlplus login to db server, there have 1 or 2 secs delay) we had generated strace and provide to oracle to investigate, and they told us it look like OS problem (Our OS is Red... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: klng
4 Replies

7. Android

Strace help

I need to run and monitor applications on Android Emulator. I am using the strace utility to monitor system calls. Everytime to start strace i need to manually start the application , get the process Id of the application and then give it to strace to start logging all the system calls. So is... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: far001han
20 Replies

8. Red Hat

Strace rpm requirement for RHEL 5.9

I have requirement for strace utility rpm package for RHEL 5.9. I have made a google for last 1 hr. but did not find the required one. Can any one help me out to find out the compatible rpm package of strace for Redhat 5.9 version (I require 64 bit version). (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan Ganguly
7 Replies

9. AIX

I'm facing problem with rpm command, when running the command and appears this error:

exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program /usr/opt/freeware/bin/rpm because of the following errors: 0509-022 Cannot load module /opt/freeware/lib/libintl.a(libintl.so.1). 0509-150 Dependent module /opt/freeware/lib/libiconv.a(shr4.o) could not be loaded. 0509-152 Member... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ohmkar
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Another one line command where I'd like to determine if Ubuntu or Red Hat when running command

Hello Forum, I'm making very good progress on my report thanks to the very helpful people on this forum. I've been able to successfully create my report for my Red Hat servers. But I do have a few ubuntu servers in the mix and I'd like to capture some data from them when an ssh connection is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
8 Replies
DPKG-DEPCHECK(1)						      DEBIAN							  DPKG-DEPCHECK(1)

NAME
dpkg-depcheck - determine packages used to execute a command SYNOPSIS
dpkg-depcheck [options] command DESCRIPTION
This program runs the specified command under strace and then determines and outputs the packages used in the process. The list can be trimmed in various ways as described in the options below. A good example of this program would be the command dpkg-depcheck -b debian/rules build, which would give a good first approximation to the Build-Depends line needed by a Debian package. Note, however, that this does not give any direct information on versions required or architecture-specific packages. OPTIONS
-a, --all Report all packages used to run command. This is the default behaviour. If used in conjunction with -b, -d or -m, gives additional information on those packages skipped by these options. -b, --build-depends Do not report any build-essential or essential packages used, or any of their (direct or indirect) dependencies. -d, --ignore-dev-deps Do not show packages used which are direct dependencies of -dev packages used. This implies -b. -m, --min-deps Output a minimal set of packages needed, taking into account direct dependencies. Using -m implies -d and also -b. -C, --C-locale Run command with the C locale. --no-C-locale Don't change locale when running command. -l, --list-files Also report the list of files used in each package. --no-list-files Do not report the files used in each package. Cancels a -l option. -o, --output=FILE Output the package diagnostics to FILE instead of stdout. -O, --strace-output=FILE Write the strace output to FILE when tracing command instead of using a temporary file. -I, --strace-input=FILE Get strace output from FILE instead of tracing command; strace must have be run with the -f -q options for this to work. -f, --features=LIST Enable or disabled features given in the comma-separated LIST as follows. A feature is enabled with +feature or just feature and disabled with -feature. The currently recognised features are: warn-local Warn if files in /usr/local or /var/local are used. Enabled by default. discard-check-version Discards execve when only a --version argument is given to the program; this works around some configure scripts that check for binaries they don't actually use. Enabled by default. trace-local Also try to identify files which are accessed in /usr/local and /var/local. Not usually very useful, as Debian does not place files in these directories. Disabled by default. catch-alternatives Warn about access to files controlled by the Debian alternatives mechanism. Enabled by default. discard-sgml-catalogs Discards access to SGML catalogs; some SGML tools read all the registered catalogs at startup. Files matching the regexp /usr/share/sgml/.*.cat are recognised as catalogs. Enabled by default. --no-conf, --noconf Do not read any configuration files. This can only be used as the first option given on the command-line. -h, --help Display usage information and exit. -v, --version Display version and copyright information and exit. CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
The two configuration files /etc/devscripts.conf and ~/.devscripts are sourced in that order to set configuration variables. Command line options can be used to override configuration file settings. Environment variable settings are ignored for this purpose. The currently recognised variable is: DPKG_DEPCHECK_OPTIONS These are options which are parsed before the command-line options. For example, DPKG_DEPCHECK_OPTIONS="-b -f-catch-alternatives" which passes these options to dpkg-depcheck before any command-line options are processed. You are advised not to try tricky quot- ing, because of the vagaries of shell quoting! SEE ALSO
dpkg(1), strace(1), update-alternatives(8) and devscripts.conf(5). COPYING
Copyright 2001 Bill Allombert <ballombe@debian.org>. Modifications copyright 2002,2003 Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. dpkg-depcheck is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, version 2 or (at your option) any later version, and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions. There is absolutely no warranty for dpkg-depcheck. dpkg-depcheck March 2002 DPKG-DEPCHECK(1)