Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to kill a thread among several threads belongs to a process? Post 302882616 by murali242512 on Wednesday 8th of January 2014 07:09:10 AM
Old 01-08-2014
Question How to kill a thread among several threads belongs to a process?

I would like to know is there any we can kill a single thread among multiple threads belongs to process?

Since Signal action is process wise not per thread, i strongly feel that we can not or for that mater from external sources as well single thread can not be killed which is critical section and holding mutex.

I got confused after seeing pthread_mutexattr_setrobust() posix thread api.

Which will be used for creating robust mutex to get help when the owner get killed suddenly before release the mutex.

Thanks
--Murali Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When kill doesnt work, how to kill a process ?

Hi All, I am unable to kill a process using kill command. I am using HP-UX system. I have tried with kill -9 and i have root privilages. How can i terminate this daemon ? ? ? Regards, Vijay Hegde (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayHegde
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to kill threads in solaris

Any idea how to kill threads (not processes) in solaris? I had checked the man pages for both kill and pkill to no avail. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: izy100
9 Replies

3. Programming

kill(0,-9) don't kill the process

Hi all i have simple c program , when i wish to kill the app im using kill(0,-9) , but it seams this command don't do any thing and the program. just ignore it . what im doing wrong here ? im using HP-UX ia64 Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
9 Replies

4. Programming

Can SIGTERM to main process kill the detached threads?

Hi, I am stuck up with a strange problem. I am writing an application - a kinda tracker that reads data from memcache and invokes theads to process each record of the memcache. I dont want to join all my threads because my tracker should poll the cache in regular intervals say sum 300... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepti_v25
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process without using kill command

Sorry, posted the question in other forum. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
0 Replies

6. Linux

Kill a process without using kill command

I want to Kill a process without using kill command as i don't have privileges to kill the process. I know the pid and i am using Linux 2.6.9 OS. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Kill Process(number of process) Unix/Solaris

Hi Experts, we do have a shell script for Unix Solaris, which will kill all the process manullay, it used to work in my previous env, but now it is throwing this error.. could some one please help me to resolve it This is how we execute the script (and this is the requirement) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyvic
2 Replies

8. Programming

creating multiple threads using single thread id

Hi all, Can I create multiple threads using single thread_id like pthread_t thread_id; pthread_create(&thread_id, NULL, &print_xs, NULL); pthread_create(&thread_id, NULL, &print_ys, NULL); pthread_create(&thread_id, NULL, &print_zs, NULL); pthread_join(thread_id, NULL); what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zing_foru
2 Replies

9. Programming

Child threads communicating with main thread via pipes

I have a simple client/server program I am using for learning purposes. I have it setup so that after server is setup and listening it than goes into a loop where it accepts incoming client connections. After each connection, the client socket is than passed to a thread routine where it can be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Majortom71
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies
thr_join(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					      thr_join(3C)

NAME
thr_join - wait for thread termination SYNOPSIS
cc -mt [ flag... ] file...[ library... ] #include <thread.h> int thr_join(thread_t thread, thread_t *departed, void **status); DESCRIPTION
The thr_join() function suspends processing of the calling thread until the target thread completes. The thread argument must be a member of the current process and cannot be a detached thread. See thr_create(3C). If two or more threads wait for the same thread to complete, all will suspend processing until the thread has terminated, and then one thread will return successfully and the others will return with an error of ESRCH. The thr_join() function will not block processing of the calling thread if the target thread has already terminated. If a thr_join() call returns successfully with a non-null status argument, the value passed to thr_exit(3C) by the terminating thread will be placed in the location referenced by status. If the target thread ID is 0, thr_join() finds and returns the status of a terminated undetached thread in the process. If no such thread exists, it suspends processing of the calling thread until a thread for which no other thread is waiting enters that state, at which time it returns successfully, or until all other threads in the process are either daemon threads or threads waiting in thr_join(), in which case it returns EDEADLK. See NOTES. If departed is not NULL, it points to a location that is set to the ID of the terminated thread if thr_join() returns successfully. RETURN VALUES
If successful, thr_join() returns 0. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
EDEADLK A joining deadlock would occur, such as when a thread attempts to wait for itself, or the calling thread is waiting for any thread to exit and only daemon threads or waiting threads exist in the process. ESRCH No undetached thread could be found corresponding to the given thread ID. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
thr_create(3C), thr_exit(3C), wait(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) NOTES
Using thr_join(3C) in the following syntax, while (thr_join(0, NULL, NULL) == 0); will wait for the termination of all non-daemon threads, excluding threads that are themselves waiting in thr_join(). SunOS 5.10 27 Mar 2000 thr_join(3C)