Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell Script (simple problem) Post 302882446 by sunny2802 on Tuesday 7th of January 2014 03:00:13 AM
Old 01-07-2014
Shell Script (simple problem)

I want to find and replace string from files present in one directory.
user will input the string to be searched and to replace .
Here is my program but Not working

Code:
echo "Enter Old domain name:"
read old

echo "Enter New domain name:"
read new

grep -rl '$old' /var/www/ | xargs sed -i 's/$old/$new/g'
exec bash

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 01-07-2014 at 04:40 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple ksh script problem

This is a search script that I have developed. It finds the records that I look for. However the only thing I want the program to do now is to display a message such as 'Not Found' to appear when a record is not found. So far when a search doesn't display a record, the screen is blank. ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Warrior232
14 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple shell script problem

hi all. i have a little problem. im basically reading input from the user from the keyboard into the variable "phonenumber". I want to do a little error check to check if the user doesnt enter anything in for the value phonenumber. i had this: read phonenumber if then ..... else ........ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djt0506
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script problem

Hi everyone - I am sure this is a really simple problem but I'm a total noob at Linux scripting: I wanted to create a script that allows me to compare the current week number to the contents of a text file in my home directory: VAR1='date +%V' VAR2='cat /home/fred/file.txt' ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: FiniteRed
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple shell - how to get a parameter typed in a shell script

Hi, I am new to unix and using linux 7.2. I would like to create a script that would make it easyer for me to run my java programms. At the moment I have to type java myJavaprogram I am trying to write a script that will allow me to type something like this "myscript myJavaprogram" or maybe... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmitulescu
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

one simple shell script problem

Hi everyone, I am facing to one shell script problem, which is as following Write a shell script that: Takes a number of arguments. For each argument, print out all files in the current directory that contain this substring in their name. I know I need to use grep for the second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaloovia
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with IF - CAT - GREP in simple shell script

Hi all, Here is my requirement I have to search 'ORA' word in out.log file,if it is present then i need to send that file (out.log) content to some mail id.If 'ORA' word is not in that file then i need to send 'load succesful' message to some mail id. The below the shell script is not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mak_boop
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple AWK script problem.

Hi all, I have set up a simple awk script to calculate the average of values that are printed out a number of times per second (the number of time the printing occurs varies). The data is of the format shown below: 1 4.43 1 3.65 1 2.45 2 7.65 2 8.23 2 5.65 3 4.65 3 6.21 .. .. 120... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omnomtac
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem writing a simple c shell script

#!/bin/csh echo hello world this is what i got in a text file called ss1. i type "chmod 755 ss1.txt" to make it executable. then when i type ss1 or ss1.txt it says "ss1 command not found" what am i doing wrong? (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: pantelis
19 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple script with while loop getting problem

Hello forum memebers. can you correct the simple while program. #! /bin/ksh count=10 while do echo $count count='expr$count-1' done I think it will print 10 to 1 numbers but it running for indefinite times. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple bash script problem

#!/bin/bash cd /media/disk-2 Running ./run.sh it's not changing directory.Why? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
6 Replies
GIT-SH-SETUP(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-SH-SETUP(1)

NAME
       git-sh-setup - Common Git shell script setup code

SYNOPSIS
       . "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-setup"

DESCRIPTION
       This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish
       scripts and/or are writing new ones.

The git sh-setup scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by other shell scripts to set up some variables pointing at the normal Git
       directories and a few helper shell functions.

Before sourcing it, your script should set up a few variables; USAGE (and LONG_USAGE, if any) is used to define message given by usage()
       shell function. SUBDIRECTORY_OK can be set if the script can run from a subdirectory of the working tree (some commands do not).

The scriptlet sets GIT_DIR and GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY shell variables, but does not export them to the environment.

FUNCTIONS
       die
	   exit after emitting the supplied error message to the standard error stream.

usage
	   die with the usage message.

set_reflog_action
	   Set GIT_REFLOG_ACTION environment to a given string (typically the name of the program) unless it is already set. Whenever the script
	   runs a git command that updates refs, a reflog entry is created using the value of this string to leave the record of what command
	   updated the ref.

git_editor
	   runs an editor of user's choice (GIT_EDITOR, core.editor, VISUAL or EDITOR) on a given file, but error out if no editor is specified
	   and the terminal is dumb.

is_bare_repository
	   outputs true or false to the standard output stream to indicate if the repository is a bare repository (i.e. without an associated
	   working tree).

cd_to_toplevel
	   runs chdir to the toplevel of the working tree.

require_work_tree
	   checks if the current directory is within the working tree of the repository, and otherwise dies.

require_work_tree_exists
	   checks if the working tree associated with the repository exists, and otherwise dies. Often done before calling cd_to_toplevel, which
	   is impossible to do if there is no working tree.

require_clean_work_tree <action> [<hint>]
	   checks that the working tree and index associated with the repository have no uncommitted changes to tracked files. Otherwise it emits
	   an error message of the form Cannot <action>: <reason>. <hint>, and dies. Example:

require_clean_work_tree rebase "Please commit or stash them."

get_author_ident_from_commit
	   outputs code for use with eval to set the GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL and GIT_AUTHOR_DATE variables for a given commit.

create_virtual_base
	   modifies the first file so only lines in common with the second file remain. If there is insufficient common material, then the first
	   file is left empty. The result is suitable as a virtual base input for a 3-way merge.

GIT
       Part of the git(1) suite

Git 2.17.1							    10/05/2018							   GIT-SH-SETUP(1)