Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX career path for Admin
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? UNIX career path for Admin Post 302881962 by port43 on Friday 3rd of January 2014 08:30:22 AM
Old 01-03-2014
At my place of employment the push is all virtualization and moving things to a cloud environment. So between that and the allocation of SAN to support it, those two groups are hopping.

On a personal level, I Know that my ability to at least read/understand/troubleshoot most any application code keeps me one step above the bottom of our administrators and that's all I can hope for. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

career as a unix admin and new graduate

Hello all, Im about to graduate with a degree in computer science. I think i've found my 'niche' in unix and would like to take it up as a career. I hope you dont mind answering a few questions. How hard is it to get the foot in the door? Whats the best way to get the foot in the door? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stride6
5 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Unix Career Path

Hi, I've been in the IT field for a few years now, less than 10. I've done a little of everything from database administration, development, systems administration, and unix administration. Although, I wouldnt say I'm a senior level in any of those. Unix definitely stands out in my preferences... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
5 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Unix Admin, need a bit of career advise

I posted a request for suggestions on my career, but there was no response. Can anyone please guide me if it was posted in the right forum or thread? Hi Dear, I am in my early thirties and going through a phase of career confusion. Since I am HPUX, Tru64 administrator I need some councelling... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukherj
4 Replies

4. Programming

Unix Career path

Hi, I am having experience on Perl and C# and worked as Windows Sytem Admin and now iam planning to become a UNIX developer. I am having knowledge on basic UNIX.. can any one suggest me any good material for c/c++ UNIX programming. on what all things a UNIX Programmer needs to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrareddy1
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Career path help

I am working in a company in which my work includes working on Linux nodes. The "uname -arv" command outputs - "Linux clx28ap01 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 #1 SMP Sat May 7 20:18:50 EDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux". I generally use various command to stop/start the servers, checking space,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: csrohit
7 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Career path help forum

Hi Admins and Moderators, I am already in job for more than 2 years. I need some guidance in deciding the career path. Please suggest what should be the correct forum to post this to ? Rgrds, Rohit Moved thread to appropriate forum. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: csrohit
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

i want to enjoy and rock my career as linux admin

hello i want to build my career as linux admin.I have completed my Engineering and had one month training on LINUX ADMIN course.I am doing well now in basics.Kindly provide suggetions or advice or books etc etc so that it will enhance my knowledge in linux Redhat. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dillipkmrpadhy
1 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Career Path

First I like to say hi to all the people in this community. The reason I am here is because I am lost and looking for advice on my career path. Here is a short history. I worked in the IT industry for about 10 yrs, sys admin, QA, and developer. During 911 I lost my job. Since then I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: navy
4 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX career path

Hi All, This question is regarding career path. I was not sure about which forum I should drop it, so putting it here. I have 12 years of experience on UNIX i.e. majority of Solaris and some of Linux (Suse & Red Hat). Since starting I have been working on 100% administration side and I am not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need advice for my career growth being solaris/linux admin

Hi All, I am having 5+ years total unix admin exp in india (5years solarisadminand 2+ years on linuxadmin).Please advice me which technology I need to learn for my career growth and salary growth. Is it good to go for EMC SAN storage or vmware for higher packages. Please advice me or I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SolarisLinux123
4 Replies
pwd(1)							      General Commands Manual							    pwd(1)

NAME
pwd - working directory name SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
prints the path name of the working (current) directory. Options recognizes the following options: Display the directory with the name of the symbolic link if any. If the environment variable contains an absolute path name of the current directory that does not contain the file names (dot) or (dot-dot), writes this path name to standard output. Otherwise, the option behaves like the option. Display the actual physical directory path. Directories of symbolic link types are not displayed. If both and are specified, the last one applies. If neither nor is specified, the default option is: from UNIX 2003 environment onwards; see standards(5). otherwise. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
For information about the UNIX Standard environment, see standards(5). Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multibyte character code sets are supported. DIAGNOSTICS
Possible file system trouble; contact system administrator. Current directory has been removed (usually by a different process). Use command to move to a valid directory (see cd(1)). EXAMPLES
If your home directory is and the command is executed from the home directory, typing produces the following display: In the following example, a symbolic link, points to the directory. Then the command displays the actual directory: The command displays the directory with the symbolic link: In the following example, there is no symbolic link. The displayed directory is the same for both the and options. AUTHOR
was developed by AT&T and HP. SEE ALSO
cd(1), csh(1), sh(1), sh-posix(1), standards(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
pwd(1)