Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PERL-CGI learning
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers PERL-CGI learning Post 302881955 by Skrynesaver on Friday 3rd of January 2014 06:25:10 AM
Old 01-03-2014
Hi, as bakunin points out above CGI programming is language agnostic and I have also used everything from Bash to C to define CGI responses, however Perl is particualrly suited to the task and the good folks over at Perl Monks provide a useful list of tutorials on how to use Perl for CGI (including Ovid's excellent guide to not shooting yourself in the foot Smilie )

However once youve grasped that CGI is essentially a remapping of STDIN and STDOUT and the basics of Perl (or your chosen language) there have been a number of improvements in Web Development made over the last 15 years and plain CGI scripting is probably not the most efficeint way to go learning a module/Framework like Dancer or Catalyst makes for maintainable code.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl CGI.pm

my box is FreeBSD4.3 and I use Perl 5.0005_03. Here is the CGI script. test.cgi ...... if ($query->action eq 'detail') { ...... print $query->hidden('action', 'modify'); ...... } I found that the result of test.cgi?action=detail is not what I expected. the script does not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonyt
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning CGI using Perl

hi everyone, i am learning CGI using Perl, but i am having problem to compile and run the scripts. the thing is that, when i want to compile my scripts i have to get connected to the internet and have to upload the scripts to a server and then only i can compile and run my scripts. so, can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shifan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning Perl 3rd Edition

Does anyone know where I might be able to download the exercises from the learning perl 3rd edition book. Any URL's would be valuable! Thanks:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bilal_aa
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning Perl

Folks! Anyone please explain the behavior of this program step by step. Thanks. #! /usr/bin/perl $testfile = "./testfile2"; for ( $i = 1, $i <= 5, $i++) { open ($FILE, ">", $testfile); print ($FILE "Output 1 \n"); close ($FILE); } print "The value of (4 * 2) / 2 is "; print (4 * 2)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: huko99
1 Replies

5. Web Development

problem with exporting vairable from one perl cgi to another perl cgi script while redirecting.

Can anyone tell me how to export a variable from one perl CGI script to another perl cgi script when using a redirect. Upon running the login.pl the user is prompted to enter user name and password. Upon entering the correct credentials (admin/admin) the user is redirected to welcome page. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

CGI in Perl

Hi, Am unfamiliar with using CGI modules in Perl. Though i checked in few sites about CGI , i dint get a clear idea. Can anyone please explain me the purpose of these statements, it ll be very helpful to me #!/usr/bin/perl use CGI qw/:standard/; use Storable; use Data::Dumper; my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl cgi pages out of cgi-bin folder in WINDOWS

Hi team, I have a typical problem with cgi pages in apache webserver in WINDOWS I am able to execute(display) the pages that are saved in cgi-bin folder. But I am not able to execute the pages stored in htdocs or other folder other than cgi-bin folder. Could anyone please let me know how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl CGI : unable to download the excel sheet from perl cgi page

Hi All, I have written an cgi perl script that displays an image(Excel image) and when clicked on that Image I need to download a excel sheet. I made sure that excel sheet exists in the folder with the given name but still I am not able to download the sheet. print "<center><table... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

CGI Perl : while loop in CGI perl

Hi Team, I am trying to connect to database(succeeded ) and print the records on the browser using while loop. But the elements of array are not displayed instead while loop is displayed directly. Instead of the below I can embed html statements in print but I am looking for the below style as I... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Perl CGI

I am trying to get my MacBook Pro with 10.8 Mt Lion set up to run Perl CGI scripts. Having a problem. I can start Apache Web Server with no problems. Why do I put the static and dynamic scripts? I which directory? I have looked at this article:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: djehresmann
3 Replies
CGI::Application::Plugin::ViewCode(3pm) 		User Contributed Perl Documentation		   CGI::Application::Plugin::ViewCode(3pm)

NAME
CGI::Application::Plugin::ViewCode - View the source of the running application SYNOPSIS
In your CGI::Application based class use CGI::Application::Plugin::ViewCode; Then you can view your module's source (or pod) as it's running by changing the url ?rm=view_code ?rm=view_code#215 ?rm=view_code&pod=0&line_no=0 ?rm=view_code&module=CGI-Application ?rm=view_pod ?rm=view_pod&module=CGI-Application INTERFACE
This plugin works by adding extra run modes (named "view_code" and " view_pod ") to the application. By calling this run mode you can see the source or POD of the running module (by default) or you can specify which module you would like to view (see SECURITY). view_code This extra run mode will accept the following arguments in the query string: module The name of the module to view. By default it is the module currently being run. Also, since colons (':') aren't simply typed into URL's, you can just substitute '-' for '::'. ?rm=view_code?module=My-Base-Class highlight Boolean indicates whether syntax highlighting (using Syntax::Highlight::Perl::Improved) is "on" or "off". By default it is "on". line_no Boolean indicates whether the viewing of line numbers is "on" or "off". By default it is "on". It "line_no" is on, you can also specify which line number you want to see by adding an anchor to the link: ?rm=view_code#215 This will take you immediately to line 215 of the current application module. pod Boolean indicates whether POD is seen or not. By default it is seen>. view_pod This extra run mode will accept the following arguments in the query string: module The name of the module to view. By default it is the module currently being run. Also, since colons (':') aren't simply typed into URL's, you can just substitute '-' for '::'. ?rm=view_pod?module=My-Base-Class AS A POPUP WINDOW
This plugin can be used in conjunction with CGI::Application::Plugin::DevPopup. If we detect that CGI::Application::Plugin::DevPopup is running and turned on, we will create a sub-report that includes the highlighted source code. So you can simply do the following: BEGIN { $ENV{CAP_DEVPOPUP_EXEC} = 1; } # turn it on for real use CGI::Application::Plugin::DevPopup; use CGI::Application::Plugin::ViewCode; Befault, this report will be the same thing produced by "view_code". If you want this report to include the "view_pod" report, simply set the the $ENV{CAP_VIEWCODE_POPUP_POD} to true. You can also turn off the "view_code" report but setting $ENV{CAP_VIEWCODE_POPUP_CODE} to false. # have the POD report, but not the code in the dev popup window BEGIN { $ENV{CAP_DEVPOPUP_EXEC} = 1; # turn it on for real $ENV{CAP_VIEWCODE_POPUP_POD} = 1; # turn on POD report $ENV{CAP_VIEWCODE_POPUP_CODE} = 0; # turn off code report } use CGI::Application::Plugin::DevPopup; use CGI::Application::Plugin::ViewCode; SECURITY
This plugin is designed to be used for development only. Please do not use it in a production system as it will allow anyone to see the source code for any loaded module. Consider yourself warned. AUTHOR
Michael Peters, "<mpeters@plusthree.com>" BUGS
Please report any bugs or feature requests to "bug-cgi-application-plugin-viewsource@rt.cpan.org", or through the web interface at http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=CGI-Application-Plugin-ViewCode <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=CGI- Application-Plugin-ViewCode>. I will be notified, and then you'll automatically be notified of progress on your bug as I make changes. ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2005 Michael Peters, All Rights Reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2011-06-26 CGI::Application::Plugin::ViewCode(3pm)