Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Finding the most memory consuming processes in Linux Post 302881954 by bakunin on Friday 3rd of January 2014 06:15:30 AM
Old 01-03-2014
First, you need to clarify what you want to know: every process uses some amount of memory, of which some might be located in (real) memory and some might be located in the swap (virtual memory). Do you want to know the "biggest" process in terms of real memory consumption (only the parts in real memory count), in terms of virtual memory consumption (somewhat misleading, the totals of real memory and swapped-out-memory count) or swap allocation (only the swapped amount counts)?

For instance: a process holds 3GB of memory, of which 1GB is swapped out. Would you like to get "1" (the swapped amount), "2" (the real mem amount) or "3" (the total amount) reported for it?

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Help -fwrite consuming lot of memory !!!

Hi , I am running a C/C++ program on a solaris 5.8 machine. This parituclar application has a module which saves data to a file. The module uses fwrite() function to save data. The fwrite function write about 500 MB of data to a file. The problem which I am facing is, the memory consumtion... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajphaj
2 Replies

2. Programming

How system deamons consuming less memory

Dear all, When I write the daemon programs it is consuming high memory and processor time. How can I avoid this? But, the system daemons are not consuming more. How? Can any one explain how the system daemons are handling the memory consumption and processor time. Thanks,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
1 Replies

3. AIX

Process consuming most memory

How can i find the processes that is consuming most memory? I tried TOPAS and SVMON and this didn't gave me the desired result. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shabu
1 Replies

4. AIX

Command to find TOP 5 Memory consuming process

HI All, Can anyone send me a command to find TOP 5 Memory consuming process. It would be lelpful if I get output something like below processname - pid - memory(in MB) - command I tried few commands from the internet but the result only give the real memory usage or pagging, I want total... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bce_groups
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX: Finding processes attached to shared memory

Is there some way to tell what processes are attached to a shared memory segment? We have a system on which I perform "icps -ma" and there are several segments pending deletion having numerous processes attached to them and I can't tell what processes they are. Neither the creator's pid nor last... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Warning in Top 10 cpu consuming processes

I m using following command to find top 10 cpu consuming processes. However whenever i execute the command i get following warning. What can be done to avoid it? # ps -auxf | sort -nr -k 3 | head -10 Warning: bad syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See /usr/share/doc/procps-3.2.7/FAQ root ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Discrepancy in finding the top memory consuming processes

When I run 'top' command,I see the following Memory: 32G real, 12G free, 96G swap free Though it shows as 12G free,I am not able to account for processes that consume the rest 20G. In my understanding some process should be consuming atleast 15-16 G but I am not able to find them. Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasperl
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix shell script to query linux top consuming processes

Hi All, O/S: Linux 86x64 Red Hat I have a sql script that queries top consuming processes of Linux using TOP commnd. Now I need to automate this task and pass the top processes i.e., PID to the sql script through unix shell script. Could anyone please let me know how to achieve this. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
2 Replies

10. AIX

Which process was consuming most memory in the Past?

Hello There are options / commands to check which process is consuming maximum memory However is there any command/mechanism which will tell us which process was consuming maximum memory in specific time interval in the past? I heard nmon report can help in this regard. is there any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chetanz
5 Replies
EMPTY-PAGE(1)							 ExactImage Manual						     EMPTY-PAGE(1)

NAME
empty-page - empty page detector of the ExactImage toolkit SYNOPSIS
empty-page [option...] {-i | --input} input-file empty-page {-h | --help} DESCRIPTION
ExactImage is a fast C++ image processing library. Unlike many other library frameworks it allows operation in several color spaces and bit depths natively, resulting in low memory and computational requirements. empty-page counts dark pixels of a black and white image and decides with a threshold whether the page is most probably empty, and thus can be removed from the image processing stream. OPTIONS
-i file, --input file Read image from the specified file. -m n, --margin n Set width of border margin to skip. For speed reasons, the margin has to be a multiple of 8. The default is 16. -p x, --percentage x Set fraction of permissible dark pixels. The default is 0.05 (5%). -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
$ empty-page -i test.tif The image has 75461 dark pixels from a total of 1060992 (7.11231%). non-empty EXIT STATUS
The exit status is 0 if the image is mostly white, 1 otherwise. SEE ALSO
exactimage(7) AUTHORS
Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> Wrote this manual page for the Debian system. http://www.exactcode.de/site/open_source/exactimage/ This manual page incorporates texts found on the ExactImage homepage. COPYRIGHT
This manual page was written for the Debian system (and may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 or (at your option) any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2. empty-page 09/09/2013 EMPTY-PAGE(1)