Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File and directory testing
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File and directory testing Post 302881137 by Dalej on Thursday 26th of December 2013 06:46:08 PM
Old 12-26-2013
Trying from another system

Trying from another system - and double ugh... The thread was supposed to be and at least was started in the shell scripting/programming forum.
Either this got moved here because of the blank body in the first post, or there is some forum corruption, maybe?

Interesting.
This is Firefox on Linux Mint/MATE and the other post was from a Mac with SeaMonkey.
Maybe a cookie/tracker thing?

---------- Post updated at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:40 PM ----------

So, back to the original post --
I have a korn shell script that does some things that depend on creating and writing a file in a directory. I'm looking for a more elegant/efficient way to do the check than what I'm using now:

Code:
if [[ ! -e ${STGDIR}/${SHOW} ]]
then
    print "Creating ${STGDIR}/${SHOW}"
    mkdir ${STGDIR}/${SHOW}
elif [[ ! -d ${STGDIR}/${SHOW} ]]
then
    print "${STGDIR}/${SHOW} already exists but is not a directory" 
    EXIT 1
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

testing for file size in script

Has anyone got a few tips on how I can test if the file size is 0? I am moving files on a regular basis from one location to another with ftp. The files which are 0 bytes in size we want to discard. Thankyou in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ivo
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Testing existence of a file /directory

hey guys How can i test existence of a file /directory in a directory in a script thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaya
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax prob. Passing a directory to $1 and testing it.

I'm running this simple little test: #!/bin/sh if ; then echo $1 else echo "Usage:`basename $0` dir" fi echo "The end of the script." The idea is, to test if you have passed a dir to the script. The problem is, it seems to exit the if statement when $1 is null: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benjo
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Testing for empty file

Hello, I need to determine if a file I have is empty or not. How can I go about doing this in shell scripting? Some sample code would be appreciated? Thanks, (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

testing if a file is a directory

i have written this simple script called isdir.sh #! /bin/bash dir=$1 _ls=`ls $dir` for file in $_ls do if then echo "D $file" fi donethe output is not right. for example $ ./isdir.sh src ***no output*** but i have in ~/src some directories drwxr-xr-x 2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: and77
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

testing file permissions.....

script name: filetest.sh if ; then echo " You didn't enter any argument" elif ; then echo " file not exist" elif ; then echo " file not readable" elif ; then echo " file not writable" else echo " file both readable and writable" fi running like... $ ./filetest filename ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ani83_pune
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File system testing for Data corruption

Hi, could any one tell is there any test-suite or any idea How to do data corruption validation testing, means there is no any data corruption ? Regards Manish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manish_tcs_hp
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: testing directory on windows platform

Hi Gurus, kindly analyse the following for me, please OS: Windows 7 Code location: C:\ Output: "Program Files not being recognised" "System Volume Information is a directory" "Windows not being recognised" main { my @dirlist = <*>; foreach my $fn... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: biglau
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Testing for one word in a file

I am trying to test the output of a file. What I have so far is this: if ]; then echo "yes";fi The problem with this is it works but I only want it to print out if the file contains the word "Compacted." The == sign means identical or equal to so it won't work. I tried ~ but that doesn't... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies
GO-SHOW-PATHS-TO-ROOT(1p)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 GO-SHOW-PATHS-TO-ROOT(1p)

NAME
go-show-paths-to-root.pl - shows all possible paths from a term to the top SYNOPSIS
go-show-paths-to-root.pl -id GO:0008021 ontology/gene_ontology.obo go-show-paths-to-root.pl -names -id GO:0008021 ontology/gene_ontology.obo DESCRIPTION
traverses DAG showing all paths (terms and intervening relationships) to the root This script is purely file based; it needs to parse the ontology each time Subsequent parses can be speeded up using the use_cache option If you wish to use the GO MySQL db, see the script go-db-show-paths-to-root.pl in the go-db-perl distribution ARGUMENTS
-e ERRFILE writes parse errors in XML - defaults to STDERR (there should be no parse errors in well formed files) -p FORMAT determines which parser to use; if left unspecified, will make a guess based on file suffix. See below for formats -use_cache If this switch is specified, then caching mode is turned on. With caching mode, the first time you parse a file, then an additional file will be exported in a special format that is fast to parse. This file will have the same filename as the original file, except it will have the ".cache" suffix. The next time you parse the file, this program will automatically check for the existence of the ".cache" file. If it exists, and is more recent than the file you specified, this is parsed instead. If it does not exist, it is rebuilt. DOCUMENTATION <http://www.godatabase.org/dev> perl v5.14.2 2010-05-12 GO-SHOW-PATHS-TO-ROOT(1p)