Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How can i use function for the below script to shorten it? Post 302881095 by vikatakavi on Thursday 26th of December 2013 02:01:39 PM
Old 12-26-2013
Scissors How can i use function for the below script to shorten it?

Hi All,

i worte a shell script which will zcat the .gz file and write it in to a tmp file and then again cat the file and convert it to Dos mode. Next step is i am greping the file to search for the particular string on the 1st line and if the string does not exits it will insert the 1st line .This is done on 6 different files with different headers inserting at the 1st line.

HTML Code:
zcat 2013-12-26_file1.csv.gz > 2013-12-26_file1_tmp.csv
cat 2013-12-26_file1_tmp.csv | sed 's/$/\r/' > 2013-12-26_file1.csv
grep -q "TIMESTAMP" 2013-12-26_file1.csv
if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
echo "NO CHANGES ARE NEEDED"
exit
else
sed -i '1iTIMESTAMP|id|Fisrtname' 2013-12-26_file1.csv
echo "ADDED HEADER"
fi

zcat 2013-12-26_file2.csv.gz > 2013-12-26_file2_tmp.csv
cat $2013-12-26_file2.tmp.csv | sed 's/$/\r/' > 2013-12-26_file2.csv
grep -q  "ADDRESS" 2013-12-26_file2.csv
if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
echo "NO CHANGES ARE NEEDED"
else
sed -i '1iADDRESS|ID|NAME' 2013-1-26_file2.csv
echo "ADDED HEADER"
else
fi
I thought of doing this for all the 6 files but it will be same script repeating again and again . so Can some one point me how i can reduce the code using function with small example

Thank you!!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Howto shorten script in a busybox environment by using for loops?

My satellite receiver is equipped with busybox, so a small linux version. That is why I can not use certain commands like #tomorrow in date commands or #date -d "+1 day" and thus I have to use: day1=$ I want to download every day 6 files from the internet but the filenames consist of the date... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ni_hao
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SHELL SCRIPT Function Calling Another Function Please Help...

This is my function which is creating three variables based on counter & writing these variable to database by calling another function writeRecord but only one record is getting wrote in DB.... Please advise ASAP...:confused: function InsertFtg { FTGSTR="" echo "Saurabh is GREAT $#" let... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.sonawane
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to shorten usernames and output to file

Hopefully someone here can point me in the correct direction. I'm working on a username migration and am trying to map my users ols usernames to the new ones. Right now every user has a username of firstname.lastname i.e. john.doe I'm trying to create a bash or python script that will take... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary-ninja
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to shorten my code?

salary_range_report() { echo -e ${underline}$redYellow"\nSalary Range Report\n" tput sgr0 count_0_to_999=0 count_1000_to_2999=0 count_2000_to_5999=0 count_6000_to_9999=0 count_10000_above=0 for i in `cut -d "," -f4 $PAYROLL` #Loop Salary do if && then let... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eggisbad
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shorten header of protein sequences in fasta file

I have a fasta file as follows >sp|O15090|FABP4_HUMAN Fatty acid-binding protein, adipocyte OS=Homo sapiens GN=FABP4 PE=1 SV=3 MCDAFVGTWKLVSSENFDDYMKEVGVGFATRKVAGMAKPNMIISVNGDVITIKSESTFKN TEISFILGQEFDEVTADDRKVKSTITLDGGVLVHVQKWDGKSTTIKRKREDDKLVVECVM KGVTSTRVYERA >sp|L18484|AP2A2_RAT AP-2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexypaul
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ps command and awk - shorten characters

ps -e -o pcpu -o pid -o user -o args | sort -k 1 | tail -6r %CPU PID USER COMMAND 0.3 223220 root /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmc sched 0.2 411332 root /usr/sbin/syslogd 0.1 90962 root /usr/sbin/syncd 60 0.0 10572 root -ksh 0.0 94270 root -ksh ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the function of the following lines at the top of a shell script file: Directory and Script?

The file starts like this: Directory: <path to the script> Script: <script fife name> #!bin/ksh ##Comments <actual script> What is the use of the first two lines in the script? What if I save the file without them? What will be the effect? They are not comments. Im very new to this,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: remytom
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Will files, creaetd in one function of the same script will be recognized in another function?

Dear All. I have a script, which process files one by one. In the script I have two functions. one sftp files to different server the other from existing file create file with different name. My question is: Will sftp function recognize files names , which are created in another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shorten header of protein sequences in fasta file to only organism name

I have a fasta file as follows >sp|Q8WWQ8|STAB2_HUMAN Stabilin-2 OS=Homo sapiens OX=9606 GN=STAB2 PE=1 SV=3 MMLQHLVIFCLGLVVQNFCSPAETTGQARRCDRKSLLTIRTECRSCALNLGVKCPDGYTM ITSGSVGVRDCRYTFEVRTYSLSLPGCRHICRKDYLQPRCCPGRWGPDCIECPGGAGSPC NGRGSCAEGMEGNGTCSCQEGFGGTACETCADDNLFGPSCSSVCNCVHGVCNSGLDGDGT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerrild
3 Replies
obd2csv(1)						      General Commands Manual							obd2csv(1)

NAME
obd2csv - Convert obdgpslogger(1) logs to csv files SYNOPSIS
obd2csv [ options ] DESCRIPTION
Convert obdgpslogger(1) logs to csv files OPTIONS
-o|--out <output filename> Output to this .csv file -d|--db <database> Work from logs stored in this database file -s|--start <time> Only dump rows more recent than this -e|--end <time> Only dump rows older than this -z|--gzip gzip compress output using zlib [if available] -v|--version Print out version number and exit. -h|--help Print out help and exit. NOT OPTIONS
These options aren't intended for end-users, they're for the GUI. -p|--progress Print out progress. It will occasionally print a number in the range [0..100], indicating progress percentage. SEE ALSO
obdgpslogger(1), obd2kml(1), obd2gpx(1), obdsim(1), obdgui(1), obdlogrepair(1) AUTHORS
Gary "Chunky Ks" Briggs <chunky@icculus.org> obd2csv(1)