Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed - How to replace right part of equal sign (=) on a line Post 302880993 by jcdole on Wednesday 25th of December 2013 05:16:46 PM
Old 12-25-2013
sed - How to replace right part of equal sign (=) on a line

Hello.

Using a bash script , I have a variable name for the file I want to modify
Code:
FILE_TO_EDIT="/etc/my_config_file"

And I have a variable name for the parameter to change
Code:
PARAMETER="fallback_node"
PARAMETER_NEW_VALUE="http://my_server_name.com/new_path"

A config file may contain :

1°) just and only just :
Code:
# fallback_node = http://example.com/path/to/sync

or 2°) just and only just :
Code:
fallback_node = http://my_server_name.com/some_web

In case 1 just add
Code:
"$PARAMETER = $PARAMETER_NEW_VALUE"

just under the commented line

In case 2
a) just replace the right part of the equal sign with $PARAMETER_NEW_VALUE
or
b) comment out the ligne and add a new ligne with. "$PARAMETER = $PARAMETER_NEW_VALUE"

Any help is welcome

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to replace a part of string

Hi, I have files that are named front1.txt to front999.txt. They are all in the same directory. To change "front" to "back", I am doing something like this. for file in *.txt; do new=`echo $file | sed 's/^**/back/g'` mv $file $new done My problem is what if files are named... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: csejl
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Entire line if any part matches regexp

Hey guys, I have a file that I've slowly been awking, seding, and greping for data entry. I am down to pull the addresses out to insert them into an excel file. Each address is a few lines, but i want to put a semicolon delimiter in between each address so I can export the text file into excel and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cocoabean
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace part of a line with sed/awk

Hello I have a document and in this document I have several occurrence of "VAR == xxxxxxx" and xxxxx can be anything. I don't know what it is. I want to replace the 'xxxxx's with something I know. What I know however, is the line numbers of the VAR =='s in the file. How can I replace... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alirezan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed replace characters not equal to an expression

Hi all, Suppose I have a file with the contents below, and I only want to print words %S_ then | sort -u. ------------------------------ The %S_MSG that starts with '%.*s' is too long. Maximum length is %d. The %S_MSG name '%.*s' contains more than the maximum number of prefixes. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: poldo
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace part of text of a line

Gurus, You know, I believe you do:-), the comnand uname -r give you the kernel version: serverA:~# uname -r 2.6.26-1-xen-amd64So, I want to replace this output inside in the line below that is inside the file: kernel = '/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-xen-amd64'Suppose, you move this file to ther... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - replace only on part of the string

Hello there, I need some help. I have a file containing this : $ cat file PARM1=(VAL11),PARM2=(VAL21,VAL22,VAL23),PARM3=(VAL31),PARM4=(VAL41,VAL42) and I need to replace all the ',' by '|' but only those which are between brackets. Output would be :... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sephiburp
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

get all the strings after the equal sign

hello just want to ask how you do this? a="b=abc def ghi" c=<all the strings after b=> echo $c output will be abc def ghi thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
1 Replies

8. Linux

Linux command to find and replace occurance of more than two equal sign with "==" from XML file.

Please help me, wasted hrs:wall:, to find this soulution:- I need a command that will work on file (xml) and replace multiple occurrence (more than 2 times) Examples 1. '===' 2. '====' 3. '=======' should be replaced by just '==' Note :- single character should be replaced. (=... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedRocks!!
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace the matching pattern with equal number of spaces

Hi I have written a shell script which used sed code below sed -i 's/'"$Pattern"'/ /g' $FileName I want to count the length of Pattern and replace it with equal number of spaces in the FileName. I have used $(#pattern) to get the length but could not understand how to replace... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script - Replace just part of a single line in a file.....

Hey guy's.... I new here, But im working on a school project, and I am not really good at programming. In fact, this is the only programming class that I need because programming is not what I am majoring in. But I have everything done in this shell script except for this last part..... ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hxdrummerxc
9 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)