Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash syntax behaviour : [[ vs [ Post 302880987 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 25th of December 2013 04:21:42 PM
Old 12-25-2013
Perhaps this may be enough:

Code:
exists() {
  [ -e "$1" ]
}

Code:
if exists "$RESTORE_FF"*; then
  echo "At least one file exists"
fi

If you need to specifically test for a regular file, you could try something like
Code:
exists_file() {
  for _f do
    [ -f "$_f" ] && return
  done
  return 1
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Script syntax error

I'm trying to write a simple script that takes all the .tar.gz files in a directory and verifies them by using the gzip -tv command: for zip in *.tar.gz do gzip -tv $zip if ; then #Check return code from tar echo "File ${zip} verified OK." exit... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kelldan
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solaris bash syntax different from Linux?

I have a script that's meant to check the disk usage on a particular volume and delete the oldest logfile if it's over a certain percentage. It runs fine on a Linux machine, but on a Solaris one, I get this error: diskspace_check.sh: syntax error at line 3: `diskspace=$' unexpected I assume... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cara_k
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using pipe in bash - is this the expected behaviour?

Hi all, Am trying to convert a script from ksh to bash :wall:. One of the sub is something like below: #!/bin/bash declare -a array01 step_01_test() { local count=0 ps -ef | grep watch | grep -v grep | awk '{ print $8 }' | while read line do let count=${count}+1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

4. Web Development

Bash Script, ec2addtag syntax?

ec2addtag --region us-west-1 vol1234 --tag Name=$nameinst; It should execute ec2addtag --region us-west-1 vol1234 --tag Name=webserver; Instead it thinks that Name is equal to that variable. Please help. Thanks! Please use code tags! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: svalenciatech
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Device-mapper behaviour booting on init=bin/bash

Good morning Recently we needed to change the password from a redhat 6.5 system that no one knew the root password. Starting the system with the init=/bin/bash method took us to the following scenario: system_vg active with only root_lv and tmpfs mounted. our entries at fstab are like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ikaro0
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash syntax error

while read line do mkdir $line scp -r Docking_results/docking_$line.pdb $line/ cd /$line/ set a=`grep ENDMDL docking_'$line'.pdb | wc -l` set b=`expr $a - 2` csplit -k -s -n 3 -f docking_'$line'. docking'$line'.pdb '/^ENDMDL/+1' '{'$b'}' foreach f (... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash syntax

Hello, I have seen this syntax, { ;;};quite often and I don't know what it means exactly. It seems like a distinctive thing of Bash, so it's been used for the logo of the last bug, ShellShock: All you need to know about the Bash Bug vulnerability | Symantec Connect I have also seen... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kibou
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[BASH] Getopts/shift within a function, unexpected behaviour

Hello Gurus :) I'm "currently" (for the last ~2weeks) writing a script to build ffmpeg with some features from scratch. This said, there are quite a few features, libs, to be downloaded, compiled and installed, so figured, writing functions for some default tasks might help. Specialy since... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash syntax problem

Hello! i try to understand the art of bash scripting but unfortunately, more i try and less i understand it. Can someone tell me how i can learn its logic? i will give you an example why its making me crazy. Look at this basic script: my for loops are working like this, but it took me more than... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sablista
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error in subtraction in Bash

I am sharing a code snippet. for (( i=0; i<=$(( $count -1 )); i++ )) do first=${barr2} search=${barr1} echo $first echo "loop begins" for (( j=0; j<=5000; j++ )) do if } == $search ]]; then echo $j break; fi done second=${harr2} echo $second (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngabrani
2 Replies
virt-tar-in(1)						      Virtualization Support						    virt-tar-in(1)

NAME
virt-tar-in - Unpack a tarball into a virtual machine disk image. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-in -a disk.img data.tar /destination virt-tar-in -d domain data.tar /destination zcat data.tar.gz | virt-tar-in -d domain - /destination WARNING
Using "virt-tar-in" on live virtual machines can be dangerous, potentially causing disk corruption. The virtual machine must be shut down before you use this command. DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-in" unpacks an uncompressed tarball into a virtual machine disk image or named libvirt domain. The first parameter is the tar file. Use "-" to read the tar file from standard input. The second parameter is the absolute target directory to unpack into. EXAMPLES
Upload a home directory to a guest: virt-tar-in -d MyGuest homes.tar /home JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-in" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-make-fs(1), virt-tar-out(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-tar-in(1)