Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash syntax behaviour : [[ vs [ Post 302880974 by jcdole on Wednesday 25th of December 2013 11:02:02 AM
Old 12-25-2013
Bash syntax behaviour : [[ vs [

Hello.

In the following :
RESTORE_FF contain a file name : a_file.tar.gz
I am testing in a directory if "a_file.tar.gz" exists and or if any file like "a_file.tar.gz" exists.
So "a_file.tar.gz" will give me file exists
So "a_file.tar.gz." will give me file exists
So "a_file.tar.gz.2013_12_25" will give me file exists

Now my question :
In the search directory there is a file : a_file.tar.gz.
Why
Code:
if [[ -f $RESTORE_FF.* ]] ; then echo "Multiple files exists" ; fi

print nothing
and why
Code:
if [[  !  -f  $RESTORE_FF.* ]] ; then echo "Multiple files exists" ; fi

print :
Code:
Multiple files exists

and why
Code:
if [ -f $RESTORE_FF.* ] ; then echo "Multiple files exists" ; fi

print :
Code:
Multiple files exists

Any help is welcome

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Script syntax error

I'm trying to write a simple script that takes all the .tar.gz files in a directory and verifies them by using the gzip -tv command: for zip in *.tar.gz do gzip -tv $zip if ; then #Check return code from tar echo "File ${zip} verified OK." exit... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kelldan
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solaris bash syntax different from Linux?

I have a script that's meant to check the disk usage on a particular volume and delete the oldest logfile if it's over a certain percentage. It runs fine on a Linux machine, but on a Solaris one, I get this error: diskspace_check.sh: syntax error at line 3: `diskspace=$' unexpected I assume... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cara_k
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using pipe in bash - is this the expected behaviour?

Hi all, Am trying to convert a script from ksh to bash :wall:. One of the sub is something like below: #!/bin/bash declare -a array01 step_01_test() { local count=0 ps -ef | grep watch | grep -v grep | awk '{ print $8 }' | while read line do let count=${count}+1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

4. Web Development

Bash Script, ec2addtag syntax?

ec2addtag --region us-west-1 vol1234 --tag Name=$nameinst; It should execute ec2addtag --region us-west-1 vol1234 --tag Name=webserver; Instead it thinks that Name is equal to that variable. Please help. Thanks! Please use code tags! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: svalenciatech
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Device-mapper behaviour booting on init=bin/bash

Good morning Recently we needed to change the password from a redhat 6.5 system that no one knew the root password. Starting the system with the init=/bin/bash method took us to the following scenario: system_vg active with only root_lv and tmpfs mounted. our entries at fstab are like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ikaro0
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash syntax error

while read line do mkdir $line scp -r Docking_results/docking_$line.pdb $line/ cd /$line/ set a=`grep ENDMDL docking_'$line'.pdb | wc -l` set b=`expr $a - 2` csplit -k -s -n 3 -f docking_'$line'. docking'$line'.pdb '/^ENDMDL/+1' '{'$b'}' foreach f (... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash syntax

Hello, I have seen this syntax, { ;;};quite often and I don't know what it means exactly. It seems like a distinctive thing of Bash, so it's been used for the logo of the last bug, ShellShock: All you need to know about the Bash Bug vulnerability | Symantec Connect I have also seen... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kibou
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[BASH] Getopts/shift within a function, unexpected behaviour

Hello Gurus :) I'm "currently" (for the last ~2weeks) writing a script to build ffmpeg with some features from scratch. This said, there are quite a few features, libs, to be downloaded, compiled and installed, so figured, writing functions for some default tasks might help. Specialy since... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash syntax problem

Hello! i try to understand the art of bash scripting but unfortunately, more i try and less i understand it. Can someone tell me how i can learn its logic? i will give you an example why its making me crazy. Look at this basic script: my for loops are working like this, but it took me more than... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sablista
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error in subtraction in Bash

I am sharing a code snippet. for (( i=0; i<=$(( $count -1 )); i++ )) do first=${barr2} search=${barr1} echo $first echo "loop begins" for (( j=0; j<=5000; j++ )) do if } == $search ]]; then echo $j break; fi done second=${harr2} echo $second (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngabrani
2 Replies
BF_TAR(1)						    Bogofilter Reference Manual 						 BF_TAR(1)

NAME
bf_tar - shell script to write a tar file of a bogofilter directory to stdout SYNOPSIS
bf_tar [-r] [-R] bogofilter_directory DESCRIPTION
bf_tar bundles a bogofilter working directory in tar format and copies it to standard output (your console, or where you redirect it, see EXAMPLES below). OPTIONS
The -r option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files after the archive has been written successfully. The default is to leave log files. The -R option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files before the archive is written. This may reduce chances that the resulting archive is recoverable should it become damaged. The archive may be smaller though. The default is to leave log files. EXIT STATUS
The script exits with status code 0 if everything went well, and nonzero if it encountered trouble. EXAMPLES
o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter > outfile.tar Writes a standard .tar file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar. o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter | gzip -9 -c > outfile.tar.gz Writes a gzipped .tar.gz file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar.gz. o bf_tar `pwd`/mydirectory > outfile.tar Prepend $(pwd)/ or `pwd`/ if you want to specify an absolute path instead of a relative path. NOTES
This script is meant for use with Berkeley DB based bogofilter versions. This script requires a SUSv2 compliant pax utility. This script expects a SUSv2 compliant shell. Solaris systems should have the SUNWxcu4 package installed (when bogofilter is configured) so that /usr/xpg4/bin/sh can be used. AUTHORS
Matthias Andree Bogofilter 03/15/2010 BF_TAR(1)