Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SUDO help with command alias
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers SUDO help with command alias Post 302880938 by vbe on Tuesday 24th of December 2013 07:17:45 PM
Old 12-24-2013
What OS is this?
Many of your commands would depend of OS (some allow users to chmod, chown… others don't…) and initial permissions in parent directories…
using groups and chmod 2775 <dir> can be of some help...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to create a command alias

I want to create a command alias. I know what shell I'm using, I just don't know which file to inter the command alias. When I type "echo $SHELL" the output is as follows: bin/sh If I'm correct, this is the bourne shell. Does anyone know which file to edit in this particular shell? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

alias for rm command

Hi, i want to make alias for rm command. It should actually move the file to a directory in my home. Say if i type %rm abc.txt the command should expand to %mv abc.txt ~ashishp/trash How should I write the alias for this? -Ashish (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

alias and sudo

I'm using personal user to enter telnet session then manually connecting to a generic user using the following : sudo -H -u $1 ksh -c ". ~$1/.profile && cd ~$1 && ksh" ; where $1 is the generic user. It works but in the ".profile" execution , the alias are not working when the generic... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Alias a command

Hi 'm executing a java program from my shell script on solaris 9 as $JAVA_HOME\bin\java -ms32m -mx128m -classpath $CLASSPATH com.abc.fwk,abcServer.abcfwkServer $1 & where $1 is port number when i do ps -ef, it shows whole command , i want to give this some alias name as abcProcess, so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: b_garima
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with Alias, /bin/sh and sudo

'exec /bin/sh' breaks alias -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have an application that requires su to root in order to run some commands. Unfortunately, my corporate policy only allows sudo so I created an alias in .profile as "alias su="su... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stulincoln
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

alias command in script

How can I embed alias command inside the unix script? Script: echo "...." ... ... alias aa=/usr/bin/telnet ... ...The above script is not working. If I type aa hostname in the command prompt 'TELNET' terminal is not opening. Regards,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias command within .profile

Please could someone advise me the command - to set up aliases commands within a .profile using shell sh regards venhart (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: venhart
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to use the Sudo command. "0509-130 Symbol resolution failed for sudo because:"

Hi! I'm very new to unix, so please keep that in mind with the level of language used if you choose to help :D Thanks! When attempting to use sudo on and AIX machine with oslevel 5.1.0.0, I get the following error: exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program sudo because of the following errors:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chloe123
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh foo.com sudo command - Prompts for sudo password as visible text. Help?

I am writing a BASH script to update a webserver and then restart Apache. It looks basically like this: #!/bin/bash rsync /path/on/local/machine/ foo.com:path/on/remote/machine/ ssh foo.com sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reloadrsync and ssh don't prompt for a password, because I have DSA encryption... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fluoborate
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alias command help

Hello, I'm attempting to configure shell settings in my new Macbook. The standard unix command line 'alias' doesn't seem to be working: bash-3.2$ alias dir ls -la bash: alias: dir: not found bash: alias: ls: not found bash: alias: -la: not found bash-3.2$ alias dir 'ls -la' bash:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: palex
1 Replies
mkdir(1)						      General Commands Manual							  mkdir(1)

NAME
mkdir - Makes a directory SYNOPSIS
mkdir [-m mode] [-p] directory... STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: mkdir: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Sets the file permissions to mode, a symbolic mode string as defined for chmod, after creating the specified directory. The mode argument can be either an absolute mode string or a symbolic mode string as defined for chmod. See the chmod(1) reference page. In symbolic mode strings, the operation characters + and - are interpreted relative to an assumed initial mode of a=rwx, A + adds permissions to the default mode, whereas a - deletes permissions from the default mode. Creates intermediate directories as neces- sary; otherwise, the full path name prefix to directory must already exist. The user must have mkdir write permission in the parent directory. Each component of directory that does not name an existing directory is created with mode 777, modified by the current file mode creation mask (umask). The equivalent of chmod u+wx is performed on each component to ensure that mkdir can create lower directo- ries regardless of the setting of umask. Each component of directory that names an existing directory is ignored without error. If an intermediate path name component exists, but permissions are set to prevent writing or searching, mkdir fails and returns an error message. The mode argument does not apply to any intermediate directories created when the -p option is specified. OPERANDS
The path name of the directory to be created. DESCRIPTION
The mkdir command creates new directories with read, write, and execute permissions based upon the permissions established by the umask setting. [Tru64 UNIX] The mkdir command also creates the standard entries (dot) for the directory itself and (dot dot) for its parent. NOTES
Some of the requested directories may be created although an error occurs subsequent to the directory creation. If the directory specified by the -p option already exists, the command does not return an error status, in compliance with POSIX.2. [Tru64 UNIX] To make a new directory, you must have write permission in the parent directory. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: All requested directories were created, or the -p option was used and all of the requested directo- ries now exist. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To create a new directory called test, enter: mkdir test To set file permissions for new directory test in absolute mode, enter: mkdir -m 444 test To set file permissions for new directory test in symbolic mode, enter: mkdir -m+rw test ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of mkdir: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: chmod(1), rm(1), rmdir(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p), umask(1) Functions: mkdir(2) Standards: standards(5) mkdir(1)