Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Use ls or find for search of subdirectories? Post 302880910 by port43 on Tuesday 24th of December 2013 12:50:03 PM
Old 12-24-2013
Depending on how complex the manipulation you want to do on each match is, you could use "-exec" with find.

Frinstance:
Code:
find ${HOME} -name '*.vtk' -exec chmod 744 {} \;

The "{}" is replaced with each match to the find.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search all subdirectories?

Dear All, I want to write the Unix command that searches through all subdirectories, finds the files named ''core'' and deletes them. I will very much appreciate your help. David (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: david_wang
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find . but not access subdirectories

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to prevent this find command from accessing this diretories's subdirectories! I tried the maxdepth and prune but they don't seem to work on SUN. So now i'm trying to set up a nawk command to not process any files that have "REVISED" in there name: find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobk544
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search files in a directory and its subdirectories

Hello my friends, I need to write a simple shell bad file :D that search and delete a file it's name 'Microsoft.txt' in the current directory and its subdirectories? So can you help to guide me how i can write this shell, Just give me the beginning :o thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Net-Man
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search for files in subdirectories

Hi! I want to find files located in subdirectories. I have tried ls -R | grep myfile but this won't tell me where the file is, only that it is there. Any one have a better idea? Thanks, --Euclid (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: euclid3628800
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search in all subdirectories for a file containing a certain string

Hello, how can I search a directory AND all its subdirectories for a file containing a certain string? My directories contain too many sql-files and I want to know whcih one of them write into the table "customer"? Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search & list subdirectories with the given file name

Question: How to search & list subdirectories with the given file name? For example: The directory structure looks like; /Builds/DEV/Build_RL01/DDL/ a_tbl_cre.sql ...... /Builds/DEV/Build_RL01/DML/ a_upd.sql .... .... Requirements: 1. I need to find subdirectory DML which is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find directories without subdirectories

Hello, I have to find all directories, which contain files, but dont have subdirectories. For example if i have tree like: ├── kat11 │ ├── kat21 │ │ └── Dokument\ bez\ nazwy │ └── kat22 │ ├── kat31 │ │ └── Dokument\ bez\ nazwy │ └── kat32 │ └──... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: eValker
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command to search files in a directory excluding subdirectories

Hi Forum, I am using the below command to find files older than x days in a directory excluding subdirectories. From the previous forums I got to know that prune command helps us not to descend in subdirectories. Though I am using it here, not getting the desired result. cd $dir... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search subdirectories and find and print total files

Hi All, I have a folder name lets say path/to/folder/CUSTOMER and under this i have several folders and each of these subfolder have serveral subfolders and so on and at some point i will have a folder name called "FTP_FILES" . I need to search for these folders named "FTP_FILES and then... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Tivoli
10 Replies
File::Find::Rule::Procedural(3) 			User Contributed Perl Documentation			   File::Find::Rule::Procedural(3)

NAME
File::Find::Rule::Procedural - File::Find::Rule's procedural interface SYNOPSIS
use File::Find::Rule; # find all .pm files, procedurally my @files = find(file => name => '*.pm', in => @INC); DESCRIPTION
In addition to the regular object-oriented interface, File::Find::Rule provides two subroutines for you to use. "find( @clauses )" "rule( @clauses )" "find" and "rule" can be used to invoke any methods available to the OO version. "rule" is a synonym for "find" Passing more than one value to a clause is done with an anonymous array: my $finder = find( name => [ '*.mp3', '*.ogg' ] ); "find" and "rule" both return a File::Find::Rule instance, unless one of the arguments is "in", in which case it returns a list of things that match the rule. my @files = find( name => [ '*.mp3', '*.ogg' ], in => $ENV{HOME} ); Please note that "in" will be the last clause evaluated, and so this code will search for mp3s regardless of size. my @files = find( name => '*.mp3', in => $ENV{HOME}, size => '<2k' ); ^ | Clause processing stopped here ------/ It is also possible to invert a single rule by prefixing it with "!" like so: # large files that aren't videos my @files = find( file => '!name' => [ '*.avi', '*.mov' ], size => '>20M', in => $ENV{HOME} ); AUTHOR
Richard Clamp <richardc@unixbeard.net> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003 Richard Clamp. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
File::Find::Rule perl v5.18.2 2011-09-19 File::Find::Rule::Procedural(3)