Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Use ls or find for search of subdirectories? Post 302880862 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 24th of December 2013 05:17:08 AM
Old 12-24-2013
Your title is too vague to understand what you want to do. Are you just trying to list the files of type directory that appear in the file hierarchy beneath a given starting directory? Are you looking for regular files matching some pattern in a certain set of directories?

Show us an example of the files you're working with and show us the output you want!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search all subdirectories?

Dear All, I want to write the Unix command that searches through all subdirectories, finds the files named ''core'' and deletes them. I will very much appreciate your help. David (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: david_wang
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find . but not access subdirectories

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to prevent this find command from accessing this diretories's subdirectories! I tried the maxdepth and prune but they don't seem to work on SUN. So now i'm trying to set up a nawk command to not process any files that have "REVISED" in there name: find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobk544
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search files in a directory and its subdirectories

Hello my friends, I need to write a simple shell bad file :D that search and delete a file it's name 'Microsoft.txt' in the current directory and its subdirectories? So can you help to guide me how i can write this shell, Just give me the beginning :o thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Net-Man
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search for files in subdirectories

Hi! I want to find files located in subdirectories. I have tried ls -R | grep myfile but this won't tell me where the file is, only that it is there. Any one have a better idea? Thanks, --Euclid (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: euclid3628800
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search in all subdirectories for a file containing a certain string

Hello, how can I search a directory AND all its subdirectories for a file containing a certain string? My directories contain too many sql-files and I want to know whcih one of them write into the table "customer"? Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search & list subdirectories with the given file name

Question: How to search & list subdirectories with the given file name? For example: The directory structure looks like; /Builds/DEV/Build_RL01/DDL/ a_tbl_cre.sql ...... /Builds/DEV/Build_RL01/DML/ a_upd.sql .... .... Requirements: 1. I need to find subdirectory DML which is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find directories without subdirectories

Hello, I have to find all directories, which contain files, but dont have subdirectories. For example if i have tree like: ├── kat11 │ ├── kat21 │ │ └── Dokument\ bez\ nazwy │ └── kat22 │ ├── kat31 │ │ └── Dokument\ bez\ nazwy │ └── kat32 │ └──... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: eValker
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command to search files in a directory excluding subdirectories

Hi Forum, I am using the below command to find files older than x days in a directory excluding subdirectories. From the previous forums I got to know that prune command helps us not to descend in subdirectories. Though I am using it here, not getting the desired result. cd $dir... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search subdirectories and find and print total files

Hi All, I have a folder name lets say path/to/folder/CUSTOMER and under this i have several folders and each of these subfolder have serveral subfolders and so on and at some point i will have a folder name called "FTP_FILES" . I need to search for these folders named "FTP_FILES and then... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Tivoli
10 Replies
DtEditorFind(library call)												DtEditorFind(library call)

NAME
DtEditorFind -- search for the next occurrence of a string in a DtEditor widget SYNOPSIS
#include <Dt/Editor.h> Boolean DtEditorFind( Widget widget, char *find); DESCRIPTION
The DtEditorFind function searches for the next occurrence (relative to the insertion cursor) of a string. The string is either the last find string value specified in the Find/Change dialog (see DtEditorInvokeFindChangeDialog(3)) or is passed in as an argument. The widget argument specifies the DtEditor widget ID. The find argument specifies the string to search for. If find is NULL, DtEditorFind uses the last string specified in the Find field of the Find/Change dialog. If the string is not found by the time the end of the document is reached, the search continues at the beginning of the document, stopping at the character before the insertion cursor. For a complete definition of the DtEditor widget and its associated resources, see DtEditor(3). RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, the DtEditorFind function returns True if the search string was found; otherwise, it returns False. SEE ALSO
Dt/Editor.h - DtEditor(5), DtEditor(3), DtEditorChange(3), DtEditorInvokeFindChangeDialog(3). DtEditorFind(library call)