Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Achive "NOT RUN PARALLEL"
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Achive "NOT RUN PARALLEL" Post 302880834 by jim mcnamara on Monday 23rd of December 2013 11:59:48 PM
Old 12-24-2013
You are trying to set up something that allows process synchronization. This is usually achieved using some kind of IPC mechanism (Inter-process communication). You can use a lockfile.

Let's have three scripts: SA, SB, SC. you need to have a shell function or a bit of code to implement this. It is easier to control if each process uses PRECISELY the same mechanism to control its successors. Consider a lockfile.

crontab: run all three scripts at 2:20 am (example)

Code:
19 2 * * *  > /path/to/lockfile && echo 'startSA' > /path/to/lockfile
20 2 * * *  /path/to/SA >   /path/to/logfile
21 2 * * *  /path/to/SB >> /path/to/logfile
22 2 * * *  /path/to/SC >> /path/to/logfile

SA:
Code:
export start_parm='startSA'
while true
do
   grep -q "$start_parm" /path/to/lockfile
   [ $?  -eq 0 ]  && break
   sleep 1
done
# script code goes here
# ....
# ....
#
# last line of code:
echo 'startSB' > /path/to/lockfile
exit

SB:
Code:
export start_parm='startSB'
while true
do
   [ $?  -eq 0 ]  && break
   sleep 1
done
# script code goes here
# ....
# ....
#
# last line of code:
echo 'startSC' > /path/to/lockfile
exit

SC:
Code:
export start_parm='startSC'
while true
do
   [ $?  -eq 0 ]  && break
   sleep 1
done
# script code goes here
# ....
# ....
#
# last line of code:
echo 'endALL' > /path/to/lockfile
exit

This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run away "bootpgw" & "inetd"

Hello All. I'm get the following messages posted to the /var/adm/syslog file ever second and not sure on how to stop the process. May 14 15:50:52 a3360 bootpgw: version 2.3.5 May 14 15:50:52 a3360 inetd: /etc/bootpgw exit 0x1 As said about this gets logged every second only thing that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cfaiman
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

catalina.sh : need combination from "start" and "run"

heya, can someone help me with following problem. i am not sure how far you know the catalina.sh script from tomcat. when i start my tomcat with "catalina.sh run" then the startup-process-output will be printed out on the console, but the tomcat process is started in current shell/session, so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Filly
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Slow printing / CUPS - process "parallel" high cpu

Hello. I have a slackware system running cups with an HP laserJet 2100 connected via parallel port in ECP mode. Print jobs are working. Very slowly. 15K test print out of cups takes about 2 minutes to complete. When the printout is on the way to the printer, the process "parallel" uses... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: agentrnge
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
DOTLOCKFILE(1)							 Cistron Utilities						    DOTLOCKFILE(1)

NAME
dotlockfile - Utility to manage lockfiles SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/dotlockfile [-p] [-c] [-m] [-l|-u|-t] [-r retries] [lockfile] DESCRIPTION
Dotlockfile is a command line utility to safely create, test and remove lockfiles. Lockfiles are created in an NFS-safe way. Dotlockfile can can also be used to lock and unlock mailboxes even if the mailspool directory is only writable by group mail. The name dotlockfile comes from the way mailboxes are locked for updates on a lot of UNIX systems. A lockfile is created with the same filename as the mailbox but with the string ".lock" appended. The names dotlock and lockfile were already taken - hence the name dotlockfile :). OPTIONS
-l Create a lockfile. This is the default. -u Remove a lockfile. -c Check for the existence of a valid lockfile. -t Touch an existing lockfile (update the timestamp). -p Write the process-id of the calling process into the lockfile. Also when testing for an existing lockfile, check the contents for a process-id to find out if the lockfile is still valid. -r retries The number of times dotlockfile retries to acquire the lock if it failed the first time before giving up. The initial sleep after failing to acquire the lock is 5 seconds. After each next try, a sleep of 5 seconds extra occurs up to a maximum sleep of 60 seconds between tries. The default number of retries is 5. -m Lock or unlock the current users mailbox. The path to the mailbox is the default system mailspool directory (usually /var/mail) with the username as gotten from getpwuid() appended. If the environment variable $MAIL is set, that is used instead. Then the string ".lock" is appended to get the name of the actual lockfile. lockfile The lockfile to be created/removed, unless the -m option is in effect. RETURN VALUE
Zero on success, and non-zero on failure. For the -c option, sucess means that a valid lockfile is already present. When locking (the default, or the -l option) dotlockfile returns the same values as the library function lockfile_create(3). Unlocking a non-existant lock- file is not an error. NOTES
The lockfile is created exactly as named on the command line. The extension .lock is not automatically added. This utility is a lot like the lockfile(1) utility included with procmail, and the mutt_dotlock(1) utility included with mutt. However the command-line arguments differ, and so does the return status. It is believed that dotlockfile is the most flexible implementation, since it automatically detects when it needs to use priviliges to lock a mailbox, and does it safely. The above mentioned lockfile_create(3) manpage is present in the liblockfile-dev package. BUGS
None known. SEE ALSO
lockfile_create(3), maillock(3) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 15 May 2003 DOTLOCKFILE(1)