Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare strings with space in if statement Post 302880799 by cartrider on Monday 23rd of December 2013 02:12:36 PM
Old 12-23-2013
Compare strings with space in if statement

Code:
DEV> vi test_if_statement.sh 
"test_if_statement.sh" [Incomplete last line] 9 lines, 205 characters 
proc_out="Normal completion"
proc_out_comp="Normal completion"
echo 'proc_out:'$proc_out
echo 'proc_out_comp:'$proc_out_comp
if [ $proc_out = "Normal completion" ] then
echo 'match'
else
echo 'no_match'
fi
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
:q!
->DEV> test_if_statement.sh 
proc_out:Normal completion
proc_out_comp:Normal completion
./test_if_statement.sh: line 7: syntax error near unexpected token `else'
./test_if_statement.sh: line 7: `else'
->DEV>

Any idea how to get 'match in the result?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

to compare two strings

hi all, i am new to unix. Actually i need to compare two string and print the result... suppose type='sun' if; then echo good morning else echo good night fi whether the comparison is right r we need to use eq???? help me please.... :confused: thanks in advance.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ithirak17
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regex in if-then-else statement to match strings

hello I want to do a pattern match for string in the if statement, but I am not sure how to use regex inside the if statement. I am looking for something like this: if {2,3} ]; then ..... .... ... fi (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

use strings in case statement options

I iterate in string list well but when I try to add a case statement in order to wrap the string value in a more accurate message I faced different problems. #Code starts ST_CODES="CN CU BU CQ LE" for ST_CODE in $ST_CODES do #echo $ST_CODE CODE="$ST_CODE""\n" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fdiaza
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare two strings using if

Hi, Here is my script #!/bin/ksh echo $pick_typ if ];then echo "inside if" else echo "outside if" fi when ever i pass CUS as parameter to this script am getting the correct value CUS, however if i pass ORD as parameter it is not coming inside if it is echoing else "Outside... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargav20
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Compare 2 Strings ?

Hello , I want to Compare with 2 strings and get if they are True or not please would like some help on this #!bin/ksh echo "Enter Name 1" read Name1 echo "Enter Name 2" read Name2 echo "------------------------" echo "First Name: $Name1" echo "Second Name: $Name2" echo... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: shatztal
25 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two strings

hi.. i have a problem to compare two string my code is like that if ] then echo "both data are correct" elif ] echo "data is wrong" fi here $username1 is taking value from file.. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhig15
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need to remove leading space from awk statement space from calculation

I created a awk state to calculate the number of success however when the query runs it has a leading zero. Any ideas on how to remove the leading zero from the calculation? Here is my query: cat myfile.log | grep | awk '{print $2,$3,$7,$11,$15,$19,$23,$27,$31,$35($19/$15*100)}' 02:00:00... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bizomb
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 Strings

I have 2 values V_1_4_4_b1 and V_1_5_1_RC_b1. I would need to compare them and determine if the 1st value is greater, less or equal than the 2nd value. The result should need to have a return value. I have below code in bash function but it seems it is not comparing it correctly. Any help will... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aderamos12
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

If statement to compare two strings

Hi, I am trying to do the following to see if "ip" is already present in a file. if ; then echo "hi" else echo "hello" fi I am seeing errors on the if statement. Can someone please correct the syntax for me? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: waince
2 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Compare 2 strings

I think there is a way to detect mouse movement. valuator changes if the mouse moves. So I need to compare the two strings. Not sure how to do that. How could I send the valuator string to a file ? I would need to do it twice. andy@7_~/Downloads$ xinput query-state 9 2 classes :... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
7 Replies
TEXT2PS(L)																TEXT2PS(L)

NAME
text2ps - convert text files to PostScript SYNOPSIS
text2ps [ options ] [ files ] DESCRIPTION
Text2ps reads the input files (standard input if none are specified) and produces PostScript code which, when fed to a PostScript printer, will print the files. With text2ps it is possible to select any font, point size and number of columns. Options and files can be inter- mixed on the command line. Options are effective for all following files until they are overridden. Options Here follows a list of options that text2ps recognizes. Most numeric arguments are significant to one decimal place. Options are evalu- ated from left to right. Later options override earlier ones. -# n Print n copies of each page. (Default 1.) -c n Print in n columns. (Default 1.) -f font Print using font font. (Default Courier.) -p n Print with point size n. (Default 9.) -v n Use a vertical spacing of n points. If the vertical spacing is set to 0, the spacing will be 1.2 times the point size. (Default 0.) -l n Print n lines per column. When the line count is 0, print as many lines as will fit. (Default 0.) -r [p|l] Set the orientation to either portrait mode (p) or landscape mode (l). (Default p.) -b [+|-] Set page break mode. An argument + will force new files to be always printed on a new page (this is the default). After - new files will be put on the same page if there are still empty columns and the number of columns, the orientation or the number of copies didn't change. New files always start new columns. (Default -.) -mt n The top margin is n points. (Default 63.) -mb n The bottom margin is n points. (Default 63.) -ml n The left margin is n points. (Default 59.) -mr n The right margin is n points. (Default 59.) -mg n The inter-column gap is n points. (Default 25.) -t [+|-] If the argument is + the name of the file being printed will be printed on each page. If the argument is - the file name will not be printed. -t + implies -b +. -T text Print text as title on each page. This implies -t - and -b +. This option can be switched off by specifying -t - or -t +. (Default no title.) -F font Set the title font to font. (Default Helvetica.) -P n Set the title point size to n. (Default 12.) -B n Draw borders around each page. The number n specifies how to draw borders. N can have any of the following values or-ed in: 1 Draw a line along the left of the page. 2 Draw a line along the bottom of the page. 4 Draw a line along the right of the page. 8 Draw a line along the top of the page. 16 Draw a line between columns. This line does not connect to the lines along the top or bottom. 32 Draw a connecting line between the line between columns and the line along the top. 64 Draw a connecting line between the line between columns and the line along the bottom. When n is 0, no border lines are drawn. (Default no bordering lines.) -w n Tab stops are set every n spaces. Set the width of the TAB character. (Default 8.) -1 Sets up options to print in one column in portrait mode with the Courier font, so that you get 66 lines on a page. Equivalent to specifying the options -c 1 -f Courier -p 9 -v 0 -r p -l 0 -mt 63 -mb 63 -ml 59 -mr 59. This is the default. -2 Sets up options to print in two columns in landscape mode with the Courier font, so that you get two 66-line columns on a page. Equivalent to specifying the options -c 2 -f Courier -p 6 -v 0 -r l -l 0 -mt 63 -mb 63 -ml 59 -mr 59 -mg 25. Together with the -1 option, this is probably the most useful option. The name - means standard input. BUGS
Too many options. There is no way to specify where the title will be placed. If the font being used is not a constant width font and there are other characters than just tabs and spaces in front of a tab, the next character may not align properly. TEXT2PS(L)