Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Parse XML using xmllint
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parse XML using xmllint Post 302880737 by prasanna2166 on Monday 23rd of December 2013 04:18:57 AM
Old 12-23-2013
Parse XML using xmllint

Hi All,

Need help to parse the xml file in shell script using xmllint. Below is the sample xml file.

Code:
<CARS>
 <AUDI>
  <Speed="45"/>
  <speed="55"/>
  <speed="75"/>
  <speed="95"/>
 </AUDI>

<BMW>
  <Speed="30"/>
  <speed="75"/>
  <speed="120"/>
  <speed="135"/>
 </BMW>
</CARS>

From above xml file, i need to get all the speed values of BMW and assign it to a variable which will be used in the shell script. I need to use xmllint to achieve this..

Thanks in advance...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

parse xml

Hi, I'm looking for an "easy" way to parse a xml file to a proper structure. The xml looks like this What shall I use? Does anybody has some example-code to share or some good links/book-references? thx for any reply -fe (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bin-doph
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse a XML file using PERL and XML::DOm

I need to know the way. I have got parsing down some nodes. But I was unable to get the child node perfectly. If you have code please send it. It will be very useful for me. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girigopal
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse XML file

Hi, I need to parse the following XML data enclosed in <a> </a> XML tag using shell script. <X> ..... </X> <a> <b> <c>data1</c> <c>data2</c> </b> <d> <c>data3</c> </d> </a> <XX> ... </XX> (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: viki
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I parse xml file?

How can I parse file containing xml ? I am sure that its best to use perl - but my perl is not very good - can someone help? Example below contents of file containing the xml - I basically want to parse the file and have each field contained in a variable.. ie. I want to store the account... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse an XML task list to create each task.xml file

I have an task definition listing xml file that contains a list of tasks such as <TASKLIST <TASK definition="Completion date" id="Taskname1" Some other <CODE name="Code12" <Parameter pname="Dog" input="5.6" units="feet" etc /Parameter> <Parameter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MissI
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse xml file

Hello all, Given the following extract from a xml file with multiple <JOB> .... </JOB> entries <JOB APPLICATION="APP" APR="0" AUG="0" AUTHOR="AUT" AUTOARCH="0" CMDLINE="/tmp/test1 %%var" CONFIRM="1" CREATION_DATE="20100430" CREATION_TIME="130739" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cabrao
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

XMLLINT COMMAND IN UNIX TO VALIDATE XML AGAINST XSD

Hi i am baby to unix shell script. how do i validate xml agaist xsd and transforms xml using xslt. Thanks Mohan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan.cheepu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse XML

Hi all! I'm looking to write a quick script and in it I need to request an XML file from a service running on localhost and parse that XML file and output it. I'm looking to do it in bash although it doesn't really matter what shell it is in. The XML file returned would look like this: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mtehonica
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xmllint - Xml-file problem --ods file not opening

Dear All, this is my first post on this Forum, glad to be here. I'm trying to fix an .ods file. Yes, I had a backup, but it's also corrupted. When opening the document I get this EM: read error format error discovered in the file in sub-document content.xml at 2,337040(row,col). So I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jameslast
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse XML For Values

Hi All, I want to parse XML to extract values of the tags to do further processing. The XML looks like <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <allinput> <input A="2389906" B="install"> <C>111</C> <D>222</D> <E>333</E> <F></F> <G>444</G> <H></H> <I></I> <J></J> <K>C,D,E,G</K>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulmittal87
6 Replies
libxml(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 libxml(3)

NAME
libxml - library used to parse XML files DESCRIPTION
The libxml library is used to parse XML files. Its internal document representation is as close as possible to the DOM (Document Object Model) interface, an API for accessing XML or HTML structured documents. The libxml library also has a SAX-like interface, which is designed to be compatible with expat(1). NOTE: SAX, the Simple API for XML, is a standard interface for event-based XML parsing, developed collaboratively by the members of the XML-DEV mailing list, currently hosted by OASIS. The expat library is a XML 1.0 parser written in C, which aims to be fully conforming. It is currently not a validating XML pro- cessor. The libxml library now includes a nearly complete XPath implementation. The XPath (XML Path Language) is a language for addressing parts of an XML document, designed to be used by both XSLT and XPointer. The libxml library exports Push and Pull type parser interfaces for both XML and html. FILES
/depot/lib/libxml_2.0.0/libxml.a static library /depot/lib/libxml_2.0.0/libxml.so shared library /depot/package/libxml_2.0.0/bin/xmllint binary application for parsing XML files AUTHORS
Daniel Veillard (daniel@veillard.com). Red Hat Inc. Manual page by Ziying Sherwin (sherwin@nlm.nih.gov), Lister Hill National Center for Biomedical Communications, U.S. National Library of Medicine. SEE ALSO
xmllint(1), libxslt(3), libexslt(3), xsltproc(1) 12 April 2000 libxml(3)