Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Strings to integers?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Strings to integers? Post 302880706 by wisecracker on Sunday 22nd of December 2013 05:23:24 PM
Old 12-22-2013
This is longhand using OSX 10.7.5, default bash terminal...
Some assumptions have been made.

Code:
Last login: Sun Dec 22 22:12:49 on ttys000
AMIGA:barrywalker~> echo "junk stuff" > /tmp/x3_y0_z-1.vtk
AMIGA:barrywalker~> echo "junk stuff" > /tmp/x6_y0_z-5.vtk
AMIGA:barrywalker~> text=$(ls /tmp/*vtk)
AMIGA:barrywalker~> echo "$text"
/tmp/x3_y0_z-1.vtk
/tmp/x6_y0_z-5.vtk
AMIGA:barrywalker~> ifs_str="$IFS"
AMIGA:barrywalker~> IFS="$IFS/_."
AMIGA:barrywalker~> array=($text)
AMIGA:barrywalker~> x1="${array[2]:1:2}"
AMIGA:barrywalker~> y1="${array[3]:1:2}"
AMIGA:barrywalker~> z1="${array[4]:1:2}"
AMIGA:barrywalker~> echo "x=$x1, y=$y1, z=$z1"
x=3, y=0, z=-1
AMIGA:barrywalker~> x2="${array[7]:1:2}"
AMIGA:barrywalker~> y2="${array[8]:1:2}"
AMIGA:barrywalker~> z2="${array[9]:1:2}"
AMIGA:barrywalker~> echo "x=$x2, y=$y2, z=$z2"
x=6, y=0, z=-5
AMIGA:barrywalker~> IFS="$ifs_str"
AMIGA:barrywalker~> _

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

integers in the if statement

hi, im trying to compare two variables in csh to put in an if statement, eg: set a = $firstnum set b = $secondnum if ($a -ge $b) echo $a But I get an error ("if: Expression syntax"). How can I make csh see my variables as integers? thanks in advance! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deanne
5 Replies

2. Programming

Using write() with integers in C

I'm trying to write an integer to a file using the write() function, but write() requires the parameter to be written to be a const void*. How would I go about doing this? also: using itoa() produces a " warning: implicit declaration of function 'itoa' " even though i have #included stdlib.h (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@run
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add non-integers using ksh

I would like to add 4.7 and 1.2. However I am unable to do this with expr. Any simple ideas (even using something other than expr)? Example: me> expr 4 + 1 5 me> expr 4.7 + 1.2 expr: 0402-046 A specified operator requires numeric parameters. (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2dumb
18 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strings to integers in an arithmetic loop

Hi all, Could someone please advise what is the correct syntax for my little script to process a table of values? The table is as follows: 0.002432 20.827656 0.006432 23.120364 0.010432 25.914184 0.014432 20.442655 0.018432 20.015243 0.022432 21.579517 0.026432 18.886874... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: euval
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cancel down 2 integers

Wonderful evening to all of you! My problem has to possible starting points. Well, not really, but getting to either one is no problem at all. So i got either a string in the format of "1920x1080" or simply the integers X = 1920 and Y = 1080. When I am done, I would like to have an output... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakunar
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison treating strings as zero integers

I'm trying to write a bash script to perform basic arithmetic operations but I want to run a comparison on the arguments first to check that they're a number greater than zero. I want an error to pop up if the arguments args aren't >= 0 so I have: if ! ]; then echo "bad number: $1" fi ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: TierAngst
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep float/integers but skip some integers

Hi, I am working in bash in Mac OSX, I have following 'input.txt' file: <INFO> HypoTestTool: >>> Done running HypoTestInverter on the workspace combined <INFO> HypoTestTool: The computed upper limit is: 11 +/- 1.02651 <INFO> HypoTestTool: expected limit (median) 11 <INFO> HypoTestTool: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asif Siddique
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk -- telling the difference between strings and integers

This should be a really easy question. My input file will have a few fields that are strings in the first line, which I will extract and save as variables. The rest of the fields on every line will be integers and floating point numbers. Can awk tell the difference somehow? That is, is there... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Parrakarry
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Integers/String

Hy friends, I am newbie to bash scripting, can anyone explain how b=${a/23/BB} # Substitute "BB" for "23". this line converts "b" into string and and "d" into Integer. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qazi
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Integers (I think)

Hi, I can't figure out what I'm missing. I'm running a query to see if there are any streams recording on my DVR before starting a scripted update. I'm guessing that it is viewing $VIDEO as a string instead of an int. I've tried everything I saw on google but it still comes back as $VIDEO is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhysers
8 Replies
branch(1rheolef)                                                    rheolef-6.1                                                   branch(1rheolef)

NAME
branch -- handle a family of fields SYNOPSIS
branch [options] filename EXAMPLE
Generates vtk file colection for visualization with paraview: branch output.branch -paraview DESCRIPTION
Read and output a branch of finite element fields from file, in field text file format. INPUT FILE SPECIFICATION
-Idir add dir to the RHEOPATH search path. See also geo(2) for RHEOPATH mechanism. filename specifies the name of the file containing the input field. - read field on standard input instead on a file. -ndigit int Number of digits used to print floating point values when using the `-geo' option. Default depends upon the machine precision asso- ciated to the Float type. OUTPUT AND RENDER SPECIFICATION
-extract int Extract the i-th record in the file. The output is a field or multi-field file format. -branch Output on stdout in `.branch' format. This is the default. -paraview Generate a collection of vtk files for using paraview. -vtk Generate a single vtk file with numbered fields. -gnuplot Run 1d animation using gnuplot. -plotmtv This driver is unsupported for animations. OTHER OPTIONS
-umin float -umax float set the solution range for the gnuplot driver. By default this range is computed from the first field of the branch, and this could be problematic when this field is initialy zero. -topography filename[.field[.gz]] performs a tridimensionnal elevation view based on the topographic data. -proj performs a P1 projection on the fly. This option is useful when rendering P0 data while vtk render requieres P1 description. -elevation For two dimensional field, represent values as elevation in the third dimension. This is the default. -noelevation Prevent from the elevation representation. -scale float applies a multiplicative factor to the field. This is useful e.g. in conjonction with the elevation option. The default value is 1. -verbose print messages related to graphic files created and command system calls (this is the default). -noverbose does not print previous messages. -clean clear temporary graphic files (this is the default). -noclean does not clear temporary graphic files. -execute execute graphic command (this is the default). -noexecute does not execute graphic command. Generates only graphic files. This is usefull in conjuction with the -noclean command. BRANCH FILE FORMAT
The `.branch' file format bases on the `.field' one: EXAMPLE GENERAL FORM #!branch #!branch branch branch 1 1 11 <version> <nfield=1> <nvalue=N> time u <key> <field name> #time 3.14 #<key> <key value 1> #u #<field name> field <field 1> ..... .... ..... .... #time 6.28 #<key> <key value N> #u #<field name> field <field N> ..... .... The key name is here time, but could be any string (without spaces). The previous example contains one field at each time step. Labels appears all along the file to facilitate direct jumps and field and step skips. The format supports several fields, such as (t,u(t),p(t)), where u could be a multi-component (e.g. a vector) field: #!branch branch 1 2 11 time u p #time 3.14 #u mfield 1 2 #u0 field ... #u1 field ... #p #time 6.28 ... SEE ALSO
geo(2) rheolef-6.1 rheolef-6.1 branch(1rheolef)