Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Strings to integers?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Strings to integers? Post 302880704 by Yoda on Sunday 22nd of December 2013 05:17:31 PM
Old 12-22-2013
This solution is based on some assumptions (using parameter substitution):
Code:
#!/bin/bash

for file in *.vtk
do
        x="${file%%_*}"
        x="${x//[a-z]}"

y="${file#*_}"
        y="${y%_*}"
        y="${y//[a-z]}"

z="${file##*_}"
        z="${z%.*}"
        z="${z//[a-z]}"

echo $x $y $z
done

This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

integers in the if statement

hi, im trying to compare two variables in csh to put in an if statement, eg: set a = $firstnum set b = $secondnum if ($a -ge $b) echo $a But I get an error ("if: Expression syntax"). How can I make csh see my variables as integers? thanks in advance! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deanne
5 Replies

2. Programming

Using write() with integers in C

I'm trying to write an integer to a file using the write() function, but write() requires the parameter to be written to be a const void*. How would I go about doing this? also: using itoa() produces a " warning: implicit declaration of function 'itoa' " even though i have #included stdlib.h (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@run
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add non-integers using ksh

I would like to add 4.7 and 1.2. However I am unable to do this with expr. Any simple ideas (even using something other than expr)? Example: me> expr 4 + 1 5 me> expr 4.7 + 1.2 expr: 0402-046 A specified operator requires numeric parameters. (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2dumb
18 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strings to integers in an arithmetic loop

Hi all, Could someone please advise what is the correct syntax for my little script to process a table of values? The table is as follows: 0.002432 20.827656 0.006432 23.120364 0.010432 25.914184 0.014432 20.442655 0.018432 20.015243 0.022432 21.579517 0.026432 18.886874... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: euval
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cancel down 2 integers

Wonderful evening to all of you! My problem has to possible starting points. Well, not really, but getting to either one is no problem at all. So i got either a string in the format of "1920x1080" or simply the integers X = 1920 and Y = 1080. When I am done, I would like to have an output... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakunar
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison treating strings as zero integers

I'm trying to write a bash script to perform basic arithmetic operations but I want to run a comparison on the arguments first to check that they're a number greater than zero. I want an error to pop up if the arguments args aren't >= 0 so I have: if ! ]; then echo "bad number: $1" fi ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: TierAngst
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep float/integers but skip some integers

Hi, I am working in bash in Mac OSX, I have following 'input.txt' file: <INFO> HypoTestTool: >>> Done running HypoTestInverter on the workspace combined <INFO> HypoTestTool: The computed upper limit is: 11 +/- 1.02651 <INFO> HypoTestTool: expected limit (median) 11 <INFO> HypoTestTool: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asif Siddique
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk -- telling the difference between strings and integers

This should be a really easy question. My input file will have a few fields that are strings in the first line, which I will extract and save as variables. The rest of the fields on every line will be integers and floating point numbers. Can awk tell the difference somehow? That is, is there... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Parrakarry
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Integers/String

Hy friends, I am newbie to bash scripting, can anyone explain how b=${a/23/BB} # Substitute "BB" for "23". this line converts "b" into string and and "d" into Integer. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qazi
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Integers (I think)

Hi, I can't figure out what I'm missing. I'm running a query to see if there are any streams recording on my DVR before starting a scripted update. I'm guessing that it is viewing $VIDEO as a string instead of an int. I've tried everything I saw on google but it still comes back as $VIDEO is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhysers
8 Replies
ppmquantall(1)                                                General Commands Manual                                               ppmquantall(1)

NAME
ppmquantall - run ppmquant on a bunch of files all at once, so they share a common colormap SYNOPSIS
ppmquantall [-ext extension] ncolors ppmfile ... DESCRIPTION
Takes a bunch of portable pixmap as input. Chooses ncolors colors to best represent all of the images, maps the existing colors to the new ones, and overwrites the input files with the new quantized versions. If you don't want to overwrite your input files, use the -ext option. The output files are then named the same as the input files, plus a period and the extension text you specify. Verbose explanation: Let's say you've got a dozen pixmaps that you want to display on the screen all at the same time. Your screen can only display 256 different colors, but the pixmaps have a total of a thousand or so different colors. For a single pixmap you solve this problem with ppmquant; this script solves it for multiple pixmaps. All it does is concatenate them together into one big pixmap, run ppmquant on that, and then split it up into little pixmaps again. (Note that another way to solve this problem is to pre-select a set of colors and then use ppmquant's -map option to separately quantize each pixmap to that set.) SEE ALSO
ppmquant(1), ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Jef Poskanzer. 27 July 1990 ppmquantall(1)