Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cat Input & Output to a Log file Post 302880240 by ctsgnb on Wednesday 18th of December 2013 09:37:33 AM
Old 12-18-2013
When needing to see the command because troubleshooting a script you may want to use
Code:
set -x

in your script.
The following commands may also be of interest :
Code:
man tee

Code:
man exec

If you want to log your session into a file (what you type and what you get), also have a look at
Code:
man script

Little example below :
Code:
# script my.log
Le script a commencé, le fichier est my.log
# cat a.txt
# exit
Script terminé, le fichier est my.log
# cat my.log
Début du script sur mer 18 déc 2013 15:30:57 CET
# cat a.txt
# exit

Script terminé sur mer 18 déc 2013 15:31:07 CET
#

In blue the content of the my.log file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

for i in `cat myname.txt` && for y in `cat yourname.txt`

cat myname.txt John Doe I John Doe II John Doe III ----------------------------------------------------------------------- for i in `cat myname.txt` do echo This is my name: $i >> thi.is.my.name.txt done ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danimad
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to input the CAT command output in Shell

Hi guys... I am new to this scripting...so please forgive me if anything worng in my questions... here is my question.. I have file structure /home/oracle/<sid>/logs/bkup now i want to write a script which should grep the sid name from a file..and it should replace the <SID> with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: troubleurheart
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat file and parse output

Hello, I'm new to shell scripting and did a search on the forum to what I want to do but couldn't find anything. I have about 9 routers that outputs to 1 syslog file daily named cisco.year.mo.date.log ex: cisco.2009.05.11.log My goal is to make a parsing script that cats today's syslog... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjrambar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic output file generation using a input text file with predefined output format

Hi, I have two files , one file with data file with attributes that need to be sent to another file to generate a predefined format. Example: File.txt AP|{SSHA}VEEg42CNCghUnGhCVg== APVG3|{SSHA}XK|"password" AP3|{SSHA}XK|"This is test" .... etc --------- test.sh has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hudson03051nh
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to copy file using SCP (Input/output & Permission denied error)

Hi, I am facing issue while using scp. Source & target machines are Linux & HP-UX respectively. On target machine, if I fire the following command, I get error: Now if I try scp on another file, which is on the same source machine, it works fine. All directories and subdirectories... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Technext
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cat command drops lines in output file

I use the cat command to concatenate text files, but one of the rows I was expecting doesn't display in the output file. Is there a verbose mode\logging mechanism for the cat command to help me investigate where the lines I was expecting are going?? cat 7760-001_1_*_06_*.txt | grep -v... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xin Xin
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat writing only one record in the output file

Hi All, I have an input file containing data as below: Input.DAT XXXXXXX|YYYYYYY|ZZZZZZZZZZ|12334446456|B|YY|111111111|111111111|111111111|111111111|15|3|NNNNNN|Y|3|AAA|111111111... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar.cumar
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting output from a file similar to cat output

I have a file # cat /root/llll 11 22 33 44 When I cat this file content to a variable inside a shell script and echo that shell script, it does not show up as separate lines. I need echo output similar to cat. cat /root/shell_script.sh #!/bin/bash var=`cat /root/llll` echo $var (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh cat file output into a file on local computer

Hello, I'm on a remote computer by SSH. How can I get the output of "cat file" into a file on the local computer? I cannot use scp, because it's blocked. something like: ssh root@remote_maschine "cat /file" > /locale_machine/file :rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: borsti007
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print Error in Console and both Error & Output in Log file - UNIX

I am writing a shell script with 2 run time arguments. During the execution if i got any error, then it needs to redirected to a error file and in console. Also both error and output to be redirected to a log file. But i am facing the below error. #! /bin/sh errExit () { errMsg=`cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
1 Replies
Locale::Script(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				       Locale::Script(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Script(3pm)