Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with change significant figure to normal figure command Post 302880046 by perl_beginner on Tuesday 17th of December 2013 09:04:07 AM
Old 12-17-2013
Hi RudiC,

I just try with your awk command.
It return something as below:
Code:
awk '{$1=$1+0}1' OFMT="%.8f" file
5.634e-05

The output result is different from what I expected.
Apart from that, is it possible your command work for something like "1.757E-100" and return "7.51E-3" as "0.00751" instead of "0.00751000".

Really thanks and sorry for troubling you.

---------- Post updated at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:57 AM ----------

Hi Klashxx,

I just try your python script with the data set.
But it return the following error message:
Code:
  File "./num.py", line 9
    except Exception,err:
    ^
IndentationError: unexpected indent

Is there something wrong with my python program?
Thanks for advice.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i can not figure this out

I am having problems scripting in UNIX. I am currently attending school and for the first time I am being introduced to scripting. My problem is I am supposed to enhance the spell_check by adding a third optional argument. The third argument is to specify a list of words to be added to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: steph
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

figure it out

hi there i am new to this site and this linux and unix stuff so kind of plz help me out hoe to start the stuff.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cool_dude
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cant figure out this..

Hi, I need a little help here. I am exporting user info from a PSQL database and everything is working with the exception of this: 10029008:dsAuthMethodStandard\:dsAuthClearText:classword:10029008:2004:10029008:10029008:/home/student/1002/90/08:10029008 It is putting a colon right before the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Stud33
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

How do I figure out the subnet?

Hi, How do I get subnet from this: 10.252.0.138/25 Tnx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehrdad68
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to figure out what each IP address is used for?

Hi, I have inherited a server at work that has one IP and two virtual IP's. It is live and I want to figure out what each IP is being used for. I thought of NETSTAT but I cannot figure out how to get it to list what each IP is listening for. ANy advice? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can't figure out how this is working

I have two machines, each with a virtual interface, with the following configurations: Machine1: eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:09:6B:19:E5:05 inet addr:172.16.0.201 Bcast:172.16.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 eth2:0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:09:6B:19:E5:05 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: druidmatrix
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to figure out a log dump command

Ok so i'm relatively new at UNIX and I'm trying to figure out how to make a log dump command. My situation is a bit odd in that I'm always looking at customers boxes and as such I can't really do much to them. So everything I do in UNIX pretty much has to be a command I can type in by hand. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrEddy
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't figure this one out --

I'm putting together a shell script while I'm learning UNIX -- just for myself. It's a little script that simply takes some vendor names and writes them to a file. So far I'm at the stage where the user enters the name of the file and places it in a folder called vendorlists: * ) touch... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't figure out why this repeats

#!/bin/sh while IFS=: read address port; do : ${port:=443} address=$address port=$port cd $f_location number=`grep "$address" thing.txt -A 1 | grep "addresses=" | cut -d'"' -f2` echo "$address,$port,$number,$answer" >>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shade917
9 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Can't figure out the correct syntax for a command loading a webkit plugin

Hello, Using Bash on Mac OS X 10.7.5 (Lion). I downloaded a GrowlSafari plugin for Webkit from its GitHub page GitHub - uasi/growl-safari-bridge: GrowlSafariBridge enables arbitrary javascript (including Safari Extensions) to notify via Growl.. In the description it says that after installing for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
0 Replies
PYTHON(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 PYTHON(1)

NAME
python, pythonw -- an interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming language SYNOPSIS
python ... pythonw ... DESCRIPTION
To support multiple versions, the programs named python and pythonw now just select the real version of Python to run, depending on various settings. (As of Python 2.5, python and pythonw are interchangeable; both execute Python in the context of an application bundle, which means they have access to the Graphical User Interface; thus both can, when properly programmed, display windows, dialogs, etc.) The current supported versions are 2.6 and 2.7, with the default being 2.6. Use % man python2.6 % man python2.7 % man pythonw2.6 % man pythonw2.7 to see the man page for a specific version. Without a version specified, % man pydoc and the like, will show the man page for the (unmodified) default version of Python (2.6). To see the man page for a specific version, use, for example, % man pydoc2.7 CHANGING THE DEFAULT PYTHON
Using % defaults write com.apple.versioner.python Version 2.7 will make version 2.7 the user default when running the both the python and pythonw commands (versioner is the internal name of the version- selection software used). To set a system-wide default, replace 'com.apple.versioner.python' with '/Library/Preferences/com.apple.versioner.python' (admin privileges will be required). The environment variable VERSIONER_PYTHON_VERSION can also be used to set the python and pythonw version: % export VERSIONER_PYTHON_VERSION=2.7 # Bourne-like shells or % setenv VERSIONER_PYTHON_VERSION 2.7 # C-like shells % python ... This environment variable takes precedence over the preference file settings. 64-BIT SUPPORT Versions 2.6 and 2.7 support 64-bit execution (which is on by default). Like the version of Python, the python command can select between 32 and 64-bit execution (when both are available). Use: % defaults write com.apple.versioner.python Prefer-32-Bit -bool yes to make 32-bit execution the user default (using '/Library/Preferences/com.apple.versioner.python' will set the system-wide default). The environment variable VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT can also be used (has precedence over the preference file): % export VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT=yes # Bourne-like shells or % setenv VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT yes # C-like shells Again, the preference setting and environmental variable applies to both python and pythonw. USING A SPECIFIC VERSION
Rather than using the python command, one can use a specific version directly. For example, running python2.7 from the command line will run the 2.7 version of Python, independent of what the default version of Python is. One can use a specific version of Python on the #! line of a script, but that may have portability and future compatibility issues. Note that the preference files and environment variable that apply to the python command, do not apply when running a specific version of Python. In particular, running python2.6 will always default to 64-bit execution (unless one uses the arch(1) command to specifically select a 32-bit architecture). SEE ALSO
python2.6(1), python2.7(1), pythonw2.6(1), pythonw2.7(1), arch(1) BSD
Aug 10, 2008 BSD