Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Difference between code page used with grep and vi Post 302879764 by bakunin on Sunday 15th of December 2013 05:23:43 AM
Old 12-15-2013
As i thought more about this i had some more ideas:

You might find the places you find with cat | grep in vi using the following formula (given, its cumbersome, but good enough for learning more about the problem):

To search for "abc" interspersed with an arbitrary number of code-characters you can search for:

Code:
/a[^b]*b[^c]c/

You search for the first character, then an arbitrary number of the NOTted following character, then the following character itself and so on. This way you should catch occurrences of "abc" even if they are drowned in control codes. The only prerequisite would be that the string is still on one line no newline character in between).

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Code page in Unix

Hi, Can someone tell me how do I find the list of comptabile codepages on Linux(suse) , Is it /usr/lib/locale or somewhere else ? I was wandering if someone has expereince in using cycrillic chars (russian) in unix / linux ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: braindrain
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the main difference between grep and sed

What is the main difference between grep and sed (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ss4u
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using Lynx and Grep to return search page rank - help

I am writing a script which will read in search terms from a text file and pass each line to Lynx. Lynx will grab the source html, then I want grep/tr, whatever to search for the first occurance of a term (mydomain.name), then delete from that 1st occurance on, creating a new end of file. Then... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: roninuta
0 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Difference grep, egrep and fgrep

Hi All, Can anyone please explain me the difference between grep, egrep and fgrep with examples. I am new to unix environment.. Your help is highly appreciated. Regards, ravi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravind27
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting source code of a page

I want to download a particular page from the internet and get the source code of the page in html format. I want to parse the source code to find a specific parameters using grep command. could someone tell me the linux command to download a specific page and parse the source code of it. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahamed
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between '.*' and .* in grep

Hi What is the difference between grep '.*' xx and grep .* xx? What grep .* xx command will do where xx is file name. Thanks Sas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SasDutta
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between grep, egrep & grep -i

Hi All, Please i need to know the difference between grep, egrep & grep -i when used to serach through a file. My platform is SunOS 5.9 & i'm using the korn shell. Regards, - divroro12 - (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: divroro12
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between 2 grep - commands

Hi, I need to know the difference between this commands: grep * *search* grep "*" *search* As far as i know does the 2nd command search for files which have a name with *search* and greps then all which have chars from a-z in the file content. But was does the first command?? Best... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xus
1 Replies

9. AIX

Code Page IBM-860

Helo all, I' trying to print Portuguese special characters like ç, ã, º, º . I already set my print queue for CODE PAGE of printer ibm.860 but every time i send a print test i receive the following error: 0782-059 Attribute name passed to subroutine piocmdout by program... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marques_rmc
2 Replies

10. Linux

IBM Code Page 437...

Hi all... Reference this URL: https://www.unix.com/unix-for-beginners-questions-and-answers/282400-lower-ascii-characters.html#post303037272 Researching in google for an answer showed the numerous times this has been asked for in various guises. So it inspired me to create a pseudo-IBM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies
findfiles(1)						       PythonCard Developers						      findfiles(1)

NAME
findfiles - Utility to locate files containing specific content SYNOPSIS
findfiles [switches] DESCRIPTION
Very often when you are programming in any programming or scripting language, you want to find out how a particular function works or whether a particular property is settable, or any of a number of other questions. In many cases, you can find the answers to your questions by looking at the source code of the application or tool you're using. This is sometimes referred to as "code shopping," particularly when what you really hope to find is a method that does exactly what you want to do. The PythonCard findfiles tool is designed to support you in these efforts. Type in a string for which to search, tell findfiles the directories (yes, you can have more than one) in which to search for files con- taining that string, and send findfiles off to locate files with that specific content. Scroll through the list of files, each with a line reproducing part of the located line for each occurrence in the file, find the one you think is what you are looking for, and double-click the line. Voila! The PythonCard codeEditor tool opens and scrolls instantly to the line you've selected. SWITCHES
-p Show property editor -m Show message watcher -l Enable logging -s Show shell -m Show namespace -d Show debug menu REGULAR EXPRESSIONS
The findfiles utility uses classic Unix grep (regular expression) searches. The grep utility uses a technique called regular expression matching to locate information. In regular expressions, some characters have a special meaning. If you want to search for any of these special characters in the strings you supply in findfiles, you'll have to escape them by preceding them with a backward slash () character. While there are many such characters in regular expressions, the ones with which you will need to be most careful are: question mark (?), asterisk (*), addition/concatenation operator (+), pipe or vertical bar (|), caret (^) and dollar sign ($). To search for a dollar sign in the target directories, for example, put "$" into the search field. (Putting in a $ by itself will crash findfiles fairly reliably.) On a Debian system, you can see the manpages for grep(1) or regex(7) for more information on grep and regular expressions. NOTES
The findfiles utility also provides additional functionality that is not discussed in this manpage, because it is somewhat difficult to completely describe usage of a GUI program in a text-based manpage. For more detailed usage instructions or for more information on the PythonCard GUI framework in general, you should install the pythoncard-doc package and take a look at the various walk-throughs, tutorials and samples included with it. Once the pythoncard-doc package is installed, the documentation is installed to /usr/share/doc/pythoncard-doc, and is also available via Debian's doc-base infrastructure - find it in the Devel section using dwww(1), doc-central(1) or dhelp(1). If you would rather not install the pythoncard-doc package, you can find essentially the same information on the PythonCard website: http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net BUGS
Although it is considered to be stable, this is still development-level software. Please report bugs in this or any PythonCard component to the Debian Bug Tracking system using reportbug(1). AUTHOR
This manpage was written by Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@debian.org>, for use by the Debian project. Content was based on previously- existing PythonCard documentation in other forms. SEE ALSO
codeEditor(1), resourceEditor(1), PythonCard GUI Framework August 2003 findfiles(1)