Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep -F for special character Post 302879618 by Yoda on Friday 13th of December 2013 11:30:08 AM
Old 12-13-2013
Remove that -F option if you are using regular expression. It treats each pattern specified as a string instead of a regular expression.
Code:
$ cat file
line 1 EXEC CASH$$A

Code:
$ a='CASH$$A'
$ /usr/xpg4/bin/grep "EXEC *$a" file
line 1 EXEC CASH$$A

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

special character ?

hey there im a bit stuck on executing commands that include the special character '?'. can someone recommend a way on how i would be able to execute it?? i thought the glob function could be useful (still mite be) but upon entering the command 'ls pars?' it listed all the files in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mile1982
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

special character

Hi, I am trying to unload file from a database. Which contains few lines with the character below. Rest of the data was unloaded appropriately. a) What does this below character means? b) How can i remove it, I already have sed '/^$/d' c) Will this effect the file by any means... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special character in Diff

Hi I am comparing 2 files (using diff command) with numerical data in them. In the output file I want only the differences which are in file2 but not in file1. Although I am getting the diffences i am also getting special characters in the output file which i do not want. Can somebody help me For... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashu_r2001
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grep in special character

All, I am trying to grep "-----" from a test when i use this i am getting the below error. What is the reason for this ?????... How can i over come this ##) echo "----------------- test_sys_job -----------------" | grep "-----------------" grep: illegal option -- - grep: illegal... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special character \

Hi, In the shell script, i need to remove the special charater "\" with "\\". For example, i need to replace "D:\FXT\ABC.TXT" with "D:\\FXT\\ABC.TXT". However, when trying to do something like , i get the below error :- -->echo "D:\FXT\ABC.TXT" | sed -e 's#\#\\#g' sed: 0602-404 Function... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_arora
7 Replies

6. Linux

how to grep special character regular expression?

Hi :) I have 2 files file1: SNP_A-2208459 SNP_A-4215188 SNP_A-2012248 SNP_A-1882998 file2: CHR SNP UNADJ BONF HOLM * * * etc. 19 SNP_A-2236481 1.742e-26 5.442e-21 13 SNP_A-4204405 8.643e-07 1.505e-06 3 SNP_A-1860908... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sogi
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleteing one character after an special character

I have below line in a unix file, I want to delete one character after "Â". 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap Â~V Hybrids The result should be : 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap  Hybrids i dont want to use "~V" anywhere in the sed command or any other command, just remove... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohsin.quazi
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi special character

When editing a file, vi displays a special character as ^L. Can you tell me the escaped character to be used in awk? And can that escaped character be used in a regexp in both sed and awk? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmesserly
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep correct pattern with special character and variables

cat file time="north_south_east_west_08:00" location="A" start="left" status="ok" end="north" time="north_south_east_west_12:00" location="C" start="right" status="ok" end="south" time="north_south_east_west_23:00" location="G" start="left" status="ok" end="east"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctphua
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Special character $$

Hi, on ksh What does the following do? grep -v "toolbox" $home_oracle/.profile >$home_oracle/.profile.$$ Thanks. Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies
KNIFE-EXEC(1)							    Chef Manual 						     KNIFE-EXEC(1)

NAME
knife-exec - Run user scripts using the Chef API DSL SYNOPSIS
knife exec (options) -E, --exec CODE Provide a snippet of code to evaluate on the command line DESCRIPTION
knife exec runs arbitrary ruby scripts in a context similar to that of the shef(1) DSL. See the shef documentation for a description of the commands available. EXAMPLES
Make an API call against an arbitrary endpoint knife exec -E 'api.get("nodes/fluke.localdomain/cookbooks")' => list of cookbooks for the node fluke.localdomain Remove the role obsolete from all nodes knife exec -E 'nodes.transform(:all){|n| n.run_list.delete("role[obsolete]")}' Generate the expanded run list for hosts in the webserver role knife exec -E 'nodes.find(:roles => "webserver") {|n| n.expand!; n[:recipes]}' SEE ALSO
shef(1) AUTHOR
Chef was written by Adam Jacob adam@opscode.com with many contributions from the community. DOCUMENTATION
This manual page was written by Joshua Timberman joshua@opscode.com. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and / or modify this docu- ment under the terms of the Apache 2.0 License. CHEF
Knife is distributed with Chef. http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Home Chef 10.12.0 June 2012 KNIFE-EXEC(1)