Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Newbie BIND DNS question: resolving upstream hosts? Post 302879519 by Lost in Cyberia on Thursday 12th of December 2013 09:03:58 PM
Old 12-12-2013
I thought DNS forwarding would happen automatically? What person would want their companies DNS server to start keeping DNS records for other sites? I know there may be a caching server set up, so that this can occur, but I wouldn't think that the main authoritative DNS server would keep requests that fall outside of its zone.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS/BIND question, is it ze germans?

First some back ground info: I am working on a computer running SuSE 7.3 I am still trying to set up a DNS I downloaded BIND 9.2.1 and was following a tutorial about BIND. It said at virtually the start of the tutorial that I should find a file called named.conf in my /etc directory. Yes, I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ignus7
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Apache 2 Virtual Hosts not resolving

Hey all, I'm having some apache problems. I've installed apache countless times on FreeBSD. However, I'm having some problems and I could use some help. Here is my system info: FreeBSD 5.2.1 Apache 2.0.51 (/usr/local/apache2), doc root (/www symlink to /var/www) PHP 5.0.1 (/usr/local/php)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezekiel61
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

Question on DNS/BIND

I have set up a BIND server running on Redhat AS 3.0 and the question I have is that I can point my laptop to that server and resolve all the hosts I have put in my .zone file but for the life of me I can resolve any outside information. I have verified the server can talk to the world. Any hints... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Acleoma
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

Resolving port 8080 in DNS

Hi I have my DNS servers (BIND 8) running on two Solaris 8 boxes. I need to be able to resolve an address blah.xxx.net to an IP address followed by :8080 - (for Tomcat). I tried doing this in my zone file but it failed. Can someone give me a pointer on where this configuration should be done?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: korfnz
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS not resolving

I have configured my solaris 9 box to obtain a IP from the DHCP server which is on windows, I have also set up the DNS with domain name and name servers under /etc/resolv.conf I can ping a ip address I just cant seem to ping hostnames, theres probaly something im not doing. I have looked through... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr Pink
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dns/bind

Hi, Does anyone know anything about DNS/BIND? I need to tell my dns for every sub-domain foward on to my main domain.... so *.example.com gets sent to exmaple.com. Any ideas. I've looked at bind on my machine and theres about 10 files....i just don't know where to put the rule or exactly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elduderino
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS Bind

Hello, I have a question about dns file zone. Every zone file begins like: @ 86400 IN SOA ns1.website.com. admin@website.com. ( It means that name server ns1 is responsible for this zone. At the ending I can add the records like mysite.com IN A 1.2.3.4 So it will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Public dns bind 9

Hi Friends, I need help to understand how to publish my public dns to internet. I have configured bind 9 on thel5 server and it working fine. My question is, as i donot want to expose my orginal hostname to outside and my zone files are configured with the NS recorde of the orginal hostname,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arumon
5 Replies

10. AIX

Use of /etc/hosts files in resolving the dns name

Hello, For what purpose /etc/hosts file is used.I mean how any request coming to a DNS server or a switch would know that which name and ip are configured in /etc/hosts files of a server? Best regards, Vishal (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_db
3 Replies
avahi-dnsconfd.action(8)				      System Manager's Manual					  avahi-dnsconfd.action(8)

NAME
avahi-dnsconfd.action - avahi-dnsconfd action script SYNOPSIS
/home/lennart/tmp/avahi/etc/avahi/avahi-dnsconfd.action DESCRIPTION
avahi-dnsconfd.action is the action script that is called whenever a new unicast DNS server is found or removed by avahi-dnsconfd. The default script as shipped with avahi patches /etc/resolv.conf to reflect the changed unicast DNS server configuration. PARAMETERS
argv[1] Contains the character "+" if the DNS server is new, "-" when it shall be removed from the DNS server list. argv[2] The IP address of the DNS server. argv[3] Numerical network interface number this DNS server was found on. argv[4] Numerical protocol number this DNS server was found on. (usually 2 for IPv4 and 10 for IPv6) ENVIRONMENT
AVAHI_INTERFACE Contains the textual interface name the corresponds with argv[3]. (e.g. "eth0") AVAHI_INTERFACE_DNS_SERVERS Contains a list of all DNS servers that avahi-dnsconfd found on the interface $AVAHI_INTERFACE, separated by spaces. AVAHI_DNS_SERVERS Contains a list of all DNS server that avahi-dnsconfd found on all interfaces, separated by spaces. AUTHORS
The Avahi Developers <avahi (at) lists (dot) freedesktop (dot) org>; Avahi is available from http://avahi.org/ SEE ALSO
avahi-dnsconfd(8), avahi-daemon(8) COMMENTS
This man page was written using xml2man(1) by Oliver Kurth. Manuals User avahi-dnsconfd.action(8)