Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Print/cut/grep/sed/ date yyyymmdd on the filename only. Post 302879501 by dotran on Thursday 12th of December 2013 05:34:02 PM
Old 12-12-2013
uname -a
SunOS scorpion 5.10 Generic_147440-19 sun4v sparc sun4v

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed, grep, cut or combine?

I am a beginner at shell scripting, actually i am working on my first script right now. Anyway i have searched the world how to grep two letters from each word (it will always just be two words). For example: Example Blablabla I want my script to cut out Ex (from the first word) and Bl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maskot
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut sed grep or other?

Hi Is there a way to cut the last two characters off a word or number given that this word or number can be of varying length? I have tried something like TEST=`echo $OLD | cut -c 1-5` where $OLD is a variable containing a number like 1234567 which gives a result of 12345. This is fine... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rleebife
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using grep and print filename

Hi, I have a question on bash. Basically I would like to print a file name using bash. I am actually trying to grep a particular character in sequential files. I have alot files such that a.txt, b.txt,c.txt...etc. If I found a certain character, I would print that particular filename. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Awk Cut Grep Combination Help ?

I have been reading for a few hours trying to educate myself enough to accomplish this task, so please know I have performed some research. Unfortunately, I am not a *NIX scripting expert, or a coder. I come from a network background instead. SO, here is my desired outcome. I have some Cisco... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abbzer0
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk/sed solution for grep,cut

Hi, From the file "example" with lines like below, I need the int value associated with ENG , i.e, 123 SUB: ENG123, GROUP 1 SUB: HIS124, GROUP 1 .. .. Normally , i do grep ENG example | cut -d ' ' -f 2 | cut -c 4-6 Is it possible to do it in simpler way using awk/sed ? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyam
5 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Auto download - filename UCC-YYYYMMDD.zip format.

Hi, On a daily basis I have download .zip file from FTP site. Naming convention of .zip is UCC-20100816.zip I want to create windows batch file which will automatically download latest .zip file based on system date. .zip file is gets uploaded on a daily basis on FTP site in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulbahulekar
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date after 5 days from current date in YYYYMMDD format

Hello Experts, How do i get date after 5 days from current date in YYYYMMDD format? How do you compare date in YYYYMMDD format? Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: needyourhelp10
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a combination of sort/cut/grep/awk/join/paste/sed

I have a file and need to only select users that have a shell of “/bin/bash” in the line using awk or sed please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyboy1212
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep pipe filename print issue

uname -a SunOS mypc 5.10 Generic_141414-07 sun4v sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T2000 uname -a SunOS mypc 5.10 Generic_144488-07 sun4v sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5220 find . -name "*.cer" -exec keytool -v -list -printcert -file {} \; | grep -i "Aug 03" Valid from: Mon Jan 29 00:00:00 GMT... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: shifahim
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating expiry date using date,sed,grep

Hi, I would greatly appreciate it if someone can help me with my problem. I have a crawler which collects spam URLs everyday & this data needs to be published in a blacklist. Here's the catch: The "Time To Live" (TTL) for each URL is 3 months (or whatever for that matter). If i see the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: r4v3n
5 Replies
cut(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cut(1)

Name
       cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file

Syntax
       cut -clist [file1 file2...]
       cut -flist [-dchar] [-s] [file1 file2...]

Description
       Use  the  command to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file.  The fields as specified by list can be fixed length,
       that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option), or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a  field  delim-
       iter character like tab (-f option).  The command can be used as a filter.  If no files are given, the standard input is used.

Use to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or to put files together in columns.  To reorder columns in a table, use and

Options
       list	   Specifies  ranges  that must be a comma-separated list of integer field numbers in increasing order.  With optional - indicates
		   ranges as in the -o option of nroff/troff for page ranges; for example, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10);  or	3-  (short
		   for third through last field).

-clist	   Specifies character positions to be cut out.  For example, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line.

-flist	   Specifies  the  fields  to be cut out.  For example, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only.	Lines with no field delim-
		   iters are passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified.

-dchar	   Uses the specified character as the field delimiter.  Default is tab.  Space or other characters with special  meaning  to  the
		   shell must be quoted.  The -d option is used only in combination with the -f option, according to XPG3 and SVID2/SVID3.

-s	   Suppresses  lines  with  no	delimiter  characters.	 Unless  specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through untouched.
		   Either the -c or -f option must be specified.

Examples
       Mapping of user IDs to names:
       cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd
       To set name to the current login name for the csh shell:
       set name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`
       To set name to the current login name for the sh, sh5, and ksh shells:
       name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`

Diagnostics
       "line too long"	   A line can have no more than 511 characters or fields.

"bad list for c/f option"
			   Missing -c or -f option or incorrectly specified list.  No error occurs if a line has fewer fields than the list  calls
			   for.

"no fields"	   The list is empty.

See Also
       grep(1), paste(1)

cut(1)