Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Received error as Not enough space left on device Post 302879437 by Nishant.Jvk on Thursday 12th of December 2013 12:58:58 PM
Old 12-12-2013
Tools Received error as Not enough space left on device

Hi Forum,

We have observed one problem in one of our HP-UX machines which runs a software which connects the radio frequency scan devices and the scanned information is stored in the database through the same software.

This software has thrown an error like "Not enough space left on the device". In my experience, this error occurs when there is not enough space left on the partition where the process is trying to write in to a file. However the person who was in charge that time has rectified this issue without actually clearing any disk partition space.

According to that person, he logged off all the connected users, cleared all the <defunct> processes and also cleared the illegal shared memory segments & data queues observed through the ipcs command.

As per my general observation -

- There is enough disk space in the software partition. But I am not aware of the space available in /var or /tmp partitions.
- There is ample memory available for running the programs.

I would like to ask the forum couple of questions:

1) This error "Not enough space left on the device" - Is it due to disk partition space not sufficient or due to insufficient Kernel memory?
2) In HP-UX machines please help to identify:
a) Real memory - Used & Free
b) Virtual memory - Used & Free

3) I tried top command - but in HP-UX it gives a wierd result like -
Memory: XXXXXX (YYYYY) real, ZZZZZZ (WWWWW) virtual, UUUUU free

What are these memory values represented as mentioned above both in & out of parantheses?

4) I tried Glance command - but I didnt understand what are the values represented against cpu utilization, memory utilization and they kept on changing.

5) I tried swapinfo command (swapinfo -tam) - but I didn't understand what is the reserve memory for? It was shown as (-4096 b) which is negative. Also the memory shown in swapinfo - is it virtual or real memory?

6) I tried kmeminfo - But it didn't work

7) I tried vmstat - but failed to understand the meaning of avm & free - do they represent virtual memory? If so why are the values different from the values seen in top command?

Thanks a lot for reading my post. Appreciate your help and your time.

Regards,
Nishant

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

no space left on device

I have a SCO UNIX on my Server. When I last tried to shutdown my system, I got an error message “no space left on device”. Now when I try to boot the system again, I just can't and I get the same error message. Please help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjane
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat: write error: No space left on device

I am trying to create new files under my directory...but i getting the following message... cat: write error: No space left on device How do we handle this error. I am not getting this error when I login as the super user (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: igandu
3 Replies

3. Solaris

No space left on device

Hi all, A very strange problem I have this morning with my Solaris 8. I have a FS full, I deleted some files but the system doesn't seems to reallocate the free space (I'm using Veritas): df -k : /dev/vx/dsk/dlds02vg/dlds02oralv 4194304 4194304 0 100% /dlds02/lds/oracle ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclefab
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No space left on device

hello all, i have a proc binary that we run on unix environment, and it is generating this error '' tstfile(): No space left on device '' can you please assist on how to narrow down the problem? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjdbouk
4 Replies

5. Solaris

No space left on device but free space and inodes are available...

hi guys, me again ;) i recently opened a thread about physical to zone migration. My zone is mounted over a "bigger" LUN (500GB) and step is now to move the old files, from the physical server, to my zone. We are talking about 22mio of files. i used rsync to do that and every time at... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: beta17
8 Replies

6. Solaris

visudo: write error: No space left on device

Hi All, This is Sandeep Gupta, I am facing a problem with sudo command. Whenever i am executing the command "visudo" i am getting the error "visudo: write error: No space left on device". but i have checked on my Solaris Box everything is ok, i have enough free space on my box, and also... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sandeepgupta
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

No Space left On Device

Hi, We are trying to sort the 40GB file in unix and getting following error. Error: sort: can't write /var/tmp/stmAAAvsaGfJ.00002929: No space left on device sort -t ',' -k4 $DIR/INF_ff_FULL.dat >>$DIR/Sort_INF_ff_FULL.dat; 2>$DIR/sort_error.log Can you please advise how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

8. Linux

No space left on device while there is plenty of space available

Hello all posting here after scanning the net and tried most of the things offered still no solution that worked when I do : $ df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on footmpfs 7.9G 60K 7.9G 1% /dev tmpfs 7.9G 0 7.9G 0% /dev/shm /dev/da1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Write to 1 failed [No space left on device] Error

Running a installation on Solaris 11 and getting error write to 1 failed If anyone can advise ? ORIGINAL_PATH="${PATH}" # prepend /usr/xpg4/bin to PATH as needed temporaryPath=`expr "${PATH}:" : '\(/usr/xpg4/bin:\)'` if then PATH="/usr/xpg4/bin:${PATH}" seem to have... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mpumi
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Sol11 - Error at prompt (no space left on device)

user1@:/$ -ksh: line 3: write to 1 failed user11@:/$ -ksh: line 3: write to 1 failed user1@:/$ -ksh: line 3: write to 1 failed user1@:/$ -ksh: line 3: write to 1 failed user1@:/$ -ksh: line 3: write to 1 failed But theres plenty of space :- user1@:/$ df -kh Filesystem ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
9 Replies
SF2R(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   SF2R(4)

NAME
sf2r -- SoundForte RadioLink SF16-FMR2 FM radio device driver SYNOPSIS
option RADIO_TEA5759 sf2r0 at isa? port 0x384 radio* at sf2r0 DESCRIPTION
The sf2r driver provides support for the SF16-FMR2 FM radio tuners. The SF16-FMR2 is a stereo FM tuner that allows to tune in the range 87.5 - 108.0 MHz, report signal status on the current frequency, force audio output to mono, perform hardware signal search, and has an internal AFC. The SF16-FMR2 cards take only one I/O port. The I/O port is set by the driver to the value specified in the configuration file and must be 0x384. Philips Semiconductors released two almost identical chips TEA5757 and TEA5759. The TEA5757 is used in FM-standards in which the local oscillator frequency is above the radio frequency (e.g. European and American standards). The TEA5759 is the version in which the oscillator frequency is below the radio frequency (e.g. Japanese standards). The option RADIO_TEA5759 changes the algorithm of frequency calculation for the TEA5757 based cards to conform with the Japanese standards. SEE ALSO
isa(4), radio(4) HISTORY
The sf2r device driver appeared in OpenBSD 3.0 and NetBSD 1.6. AUTHORS
The sf2r driver was written by Vladimir Popov and Maxim Tsyplakov. The man page was written by Vladimir Popov. BUGS
MediaForte made two variants of the SF16-FMR2 cards, the first one has an internal amplifier of the output sound, the second one does not have such an amplifier. The current driver supports only the second variant. BSD
October 8, 2001 BSD