Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to set character limit on READ? Post 302879142 by Yoda on Tuesday 10th of December 2013 05:38:51 PM
Old 12-10-2013
That was just an example. Use bash instead, replace print with printf:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

while :
do
        printf "%s" "A1: "
        read A1
        [ ${#A1} -le 8 ] && break
done

This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to set Root password age limit in Solaris 9/10

Hi Friends, Can anyone tell me how can I set the password age limit for root user to 14 days....??? Also would like to add following for root password; min-alpha --- 4 min-other --- 1 min-length -- 6 min-diff ----- 3 How can I do these on command line....??? Regards, jumadhiya (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jumadhiya
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to set a time limit for a script

Hello Folks, I have been asked to write a test script which can be run by students. the script should have a time limit. I have almost completed it except the bit of timing! I've seen something like this: on_timeout() { echo "$USER $score " >> theresult.txt echo "Time out!... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SultanKSA
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read the text file and print the content character by character..

hello all i request you to give the solution for the following problem.. I want read the text file.and print the contents character by character..like if the text file contains google means..i want to print g go goo goog googl google like this Using unix Shell scripting... without using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samupnl
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

Telnet Character Limit

Hi All, We are using the SunOS 5.9 and the application is listening on user defined ports and waiting for the request from the user.When i am trying to connect and give the requests using telnet ,I am not able to provide the request beyond 256 characters.The telnet connection is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshbabuc
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh shell script 'set' argument limit?

Hi , I have a script that is causing a problem that led me to think if there is a limit to the number of arguments for 'set' command in csh shell script. Here is my script: #!/bin/csh -f set top = design_top #1 set v_mbist = ( sim_mbist/*.v ) #2 set v_simlist = ( -v... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: return_user
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

character limit via awk

I'm using a command that outputs the total size of the files that I've specified. I'd like to introduce a character limit that appends an ellipsis to the lines that go beyond the specified amount. du -chs {query} | sed 's!.*/!!' | awk '{print substr($0,0,25)""}' That's what I have so far.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Light_
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to set end limit while copying files of a range??

I have files being generated in format A20140326.00........ to A20140326.24............. I need to copy these hourly basis from one location to another. Eg. If i copy from 14 to 19 the hour, I use wildcard as A201403226.1*. Requirement is : I need to copy from 06 hour and wil run the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Saidul
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read character by character in line in which space is also included

Hi friend, I have one file , and i want to read that file character by character. I need this script in ksh. while using read option with -n1 am getting error. while read -n1 c read has bad option And if i am using below script, then if in a line has space like this ( Pallvi mahajan)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Set hard block limit for user using quota

hi all, i have installed quota on my centos 7 machine and its what im after (setting size limit on users, so they cant fill the hard drive) i want to now make this part of my create user script for my sftp server so i want to do a echo and a read command so i capture the limit they enter... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertkwild
0 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)