Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Discover unique names and organize Post 302879114 by scribling on Tuesday 10th of December 2013 01:40:28 PM
Old 12-10-2013
If run as written it creates a dir called "rv*" and nothing else.
Shouldn't "rv*" be $1?

Thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get List of Unique File Names

I have a large directory of web pages. I am doing a search through the web pages using grep and would like to get a list of unique file names of search results. The following command works fine to give me a list of file names where term appears: grep -l term *.html However, since these are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjulich
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Organize of Data

Hello Expert, I am new in awk. I would like to know how to arrange data like Input File: lpar1 1 2 3 4 5 6 lpar10 4 5 6 lpar3 4 5 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shah09
3 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

Organize (pretty) code

I'm looking for terminal programs, which organize and pretty code like HTML or JavaScript. Thanks! ---------- Post updated at 07:01 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:49 AM ---------- Found this Online javascript beautifier (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borobudur
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help for a script to organize data

Hey all, I have a file with info like this 12:05:44 DEV001 (15F6) 71 5 1372 131 58 100 6 0 17 DEV002 (15FA) 60 0 928 15 50 N/A 2 N/A 5 DEV003 (15FE) 77 2 961 59 51 100 1 0 2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo.maveriick
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change unique file names into new unique filenames

I have 84 files with the following names splitseqs.1, spliseqs.2 etc. and I want to change the .number to a unique filename. E.g. change splitseqs.1 into splitseqs.7114_1#24 and change spliseqs.2 into splitseqs.7067_2#4 So all the current file names are unique, so are the new file names.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avonm
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print unique names in each row of a specific column using awk

Is it possible to remove redundant names in the 4th column? input cqWE 100 200 singapore;singapore AZO 300 400 brazil;america;germany;ireland;germany .... .... output cqWE 100 200 singapore AZO 300 400 brazil;america;germany;ireland (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print unique names in a specific column using awk

Is it possible to modify file like this. 1. Remove all the duplicate names in a define column i.e 4th col 2. Count the no.of unique names separated by ";" and print as a 5th col thanx in advance!! Q input c1 30 3 Eh2 c10 96 3 Frp c41 396 3 Ua5;Lop;Kol;Kol c62 2 30 Fmp;Fmp;Fmp ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to organize bash_profile across different platforms

I want to have one .bash_profile works on multiple platform, ubuntu, debian, redhat, cygwin, osx. So how should I organize .bash_profile? It can be multiple files in some subdir Let me brief you: what i want is a way to organize bash_profile across platforms so I can use one set of profiles... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: John_Peter
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed awk: split a large file to unique file names

Dear Users, Appreciate your help if you could help me with splitting a large file > 1 million lines with sed or awk. below is the text in the file input file.txt scaffold1 928 929 C/T + scaffold1 942 943 G/C + scaffold1 959 960 C/T +... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapr0001
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Organize output with awk

Hello, maybe someone could help me with this. I'm trying to print in a more ordered way this input. the input file is: AB XY UT ZW PRAT 0 3 4 7214800 93 0 3 4 730770 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
8 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -f Force opening a VT without checking whether it is already in use. -e Directly execute the given command, without forking. This option is meant for use in /etc/inittab. If you want to use this feature in another context, be aware that openvt has to be a session leader in order for -e to work. See setsid(2) or setsid(1) on how to achieve this. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a POSIX (GNU) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)