Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using awk to parse a file with mixed formats in columns Post 302878929 by Twinklefingers on Monday 9th of December 2013 04:19:22 PM
Old 12-09-2013
Thanks, works like a charm, your time is very much appreciated!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse file into tab separated columns

Hello, I am trying to parse a file that resembles the last three groupings into something looking like the first two lines. I've fiddled with sed and awk a bit, but can't get anything to work properly. I need them separated by some delimiter. The file is some 23,000 lines of the stuff.... ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkozel
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse file using awk and work in awk output

hi guys, i want to parse a file using public function, the file contain raw data in the below format i want to get the output like this to load it to Oracle DB MARWA1,BSS:26,1,3,0,0,0,0,0.00,22,22,22.00 MARWA2,BSS:26,1,3,0,0,0,0,0.00,22,22,22.00 this the file raw format: Number of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dagigg
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse a file with awk?

Hi guys (and gals). I need some help. I'm running an IVR purely on Asterisk where I capture the DTMFs. After pulsing each DTMF I have Asterisk write to a file with whatever was dialed (mostly used for record-keeping) and at the end of the survey I write all variables in a single line to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tulf210
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse a mixed alphanumeric string from within a string

Hi, I would like to be able to parse out a substring matching a basic pattern, which is a character followed by 3 or 4 digits (for example S1234 out of a larger string). The main string would just be a filename, like Thisis__the FileName_S1234_ToParse.txt. The filename isn't fixed, but the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: keaneMB
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I parse file with multiple different columns ?

I have a tool which generates results in a file at every minute and which has following columns. I need to create a script checks this file constantly and if Column ( QOM ) has value more then "30S" it should send an email. Can anybody help ? Thansk a lot. Time MxML MxQD G P OIC OUC MDC... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayeshpatel
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - mixed for and if to select particular lines in a data file

Hi all, I am new to AWK and I am trying to solve a problem that is probably easy for an expert. Suppose I have the following data file input.txt: 20 35 43 20 23 54 20 62 21 20.5 43 12 20.5 33 11 20.5 89 87 21 33 20 21 22 21 21 56 87 I want to select from all lines having the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: naska
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request: How to Parse dynamic SQL query to pad extra columns to match the fixed number of columns

Hello All, I have a requirement in which i will be given a sql query as input in a file with dynamic number of columns. For example some times i will get 5 columns, some times 8 columns etc up to 20 columns. So my requirement is to generate a output query which will have 20 columns all the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_trl
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to parse a variety of formats

The below perl script parses a variety of formats. If I use the numeric text file as input the script works correctly. However using the alpha text file as input there is a black output file. The portion in bold splits the field to parse f or NC_000023.10:g.153297761C>A into a variable $common but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk , parse data from stacked columns

I am trying to rearrange stacked columns. Below is an excerpt of my data file: You can see there are two data columns stacked vertically. ITERATION ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sav0
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Parse apache log file with three different time formats

Hi, I want to parse below file and Write a function to extract the logs between two given timestamp. Apache (Unix) Log Samples - MonitorWare The challenge here is there are three date and time format. First :- 07/Mar/2004:16:05:49 Second :- Sun Mar 7 16:02:00 2004 Third :- 29-Mar... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahil_shine
6 Replies