Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Saving nohup output to a file other than nohup.out Post 302878730 by kraljic on Sunday 8th of December 2013 12:17:03 PM
Old 12-08-2013
Thank you RudiC.

But , what does re-directing input from /dev/null even mean ?

Code:
$ wc < /dev/null
      0       0       0
$
$
$ echo < /dev/null

$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture nohup log file

Hi, I am running my script using nohup, but I am not able to capture the log file for that process could naybody please help... Here is what I am doing.... nohup ./script & 1>/home/user1/log.txt but I am not able to capture the log.....Is there anyother way I can capture the log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to copy the text output from a 'nohup.out' file.

Hello, I have a nohup.out file that, when executed, outputs a spreadsheet file with four-to-seven columns of number. I want to copy this output (in its entirety), so that I could then paste it on excel@ , or Notepad@. Please help, thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Iamthe great
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Route the logs to different file other than nohup.out

Hi guys Right now the standard out and standard err are going to nohup.out file I wanted to route to some other name specific files so that it will be easy to research the logs Example I have this line in my script nohup execute receiptLoaderStart & which is routing the logs to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinky
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

output nohup file containg the PID

Hi to everybody. Is it possible to nohup a process and redirect the output to a file containing the PID? E.g. if nohup filename > out.nohup associate the PID=8074 to filename, is it possible to call the output file something like out_8074.nohup instead of out.nohup? By this way it would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: plsrn
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

nohup output on screen for some time

Hi, I'm executing a binary with nohup in a menu(shellscript) and output is going to nohup.out fine. I need few lines of nohup.out should be displayed on screen so that I will come to know the process is successfully started and continue with other options in my menu. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extending the line length of nohup output

Hi I'm backgrounding matlab jobs using nohup. My foreground programs are written for an xterm that has 132 columns. When I use nohup and redirect the output to nohup.out, the default appears to be something like 72 columns, which breaks up my formatted screen output from matlab commands... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LeoSimon
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep string from nohup.out file

Hi, I have one shell script, which run another one script inside in nohup mode. I want to search one string from the nohyup.out file in the same mail shell script itself .Can anyone help me?? Please find the code below: total_ear=`cd ear ; ls *.ear | wc -l | tr -d ' '` for ear in `cd ear ; ls... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckchelladurai
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep from the nohup.out file

Hi, I have one shell script, which run another one script inside in nohup mode. I want to search one string from the nohup.out file in the same shell script itself .Can anyone help me?? Please find the code below: total_ear=`cd ear ; ls *.ear | wc -l | tr -d ' '` for ear in `cd ear ; ls... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ckchelladurai
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I send output of a background process to a file other than nohup.out?

I have a question. I will be running a background process using nohup and & command at end. I want to send output to a file say myprocess.out. So will this command work? nohup myprocess.ksh > myprocess.out & Thanks in advance guys !!! :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nohup not give expected output. Non-stop running process

Hello, I am trying to make a bash script, I tested nohup but it did not help me. My code is: ffmpeg -i $input_url -c:v copy -c:a copy -listen 1 -f mpegts http://localhost:port/live/test When I open it in VLC, it starts feeding my screen and I see bitrate values. When I stop watching it,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
4 Replies
RDUP-TR(1)							       rdup								RDUP-TR(1)

NAME
rdup-tr - transform rdup output SYNOPSIS
rdup-tr [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
Transform rdup output into something else. Where something else can be a tar, cpio, pax archive or another rdup stream. The rdup archive must be given on rdup-tr's standard input. You can select multiple types of output (-O flag), but you must be aware that you may loose some information in formats other than rdup's own, see the table below. You may also supply rdup-tr with only a list of pathnames, this can be selected with the -L flag. The following table shows what happens with the output depending on the input. 0 OK D delete information is lost H hardlink information is lost | | output | tar,cpio,pax | rdup input | | ------------- | ------------- | ------ rdup | D | 0 filelist | DH | H | | OPTIONS
-L Select list input format. Normally rdup-tr accepts rdup output, with this option you can give it a list of path names. Note: with list input rdup-tr will `stat()` each file. -O Output format. This can be 'tar', 'cpio', 'pax' or 'rdup'. It defaults to 'rdup'. -X key Read the encryption key from the file key and encrypt all paths with Blowfish and this key and iv. After the encryption the binary data is converted into ASCII using an URL safe (Section 4 of RFC 3548) version of base64 encode. The encryption key must be on the first line and the key size must be 16 and 8 bytes for the iv, so 24 in total. -Y key Read the decryption key from the file key and decrypt all paths with Blowfish and this key. Before the encryption the paths are con- verted to binary by using an URL safe version of base64 decode. -c Force output to the tty. Normally rdup-tr wants to see it's output redirected. -v Be more verbose. -V Print rdup-tr's version. -h A short help. EXAMPLES
The following is possible rdup -Pgzip -Pmcrypt,-f,KEY,-c /dev/null /home | rdup-tr -O tar -X<(echo secret) | gzip > my-home-zipped-crypted-pathcrypted-tar.gz That is: all files under /home are gzipped and encrypted on a per file basis (first line). Further more, all pathnames are Blowfish encrypted (second line) with the key 'secret'. This is put in a tar file, which is then compressed, resulting in the final output (final line). Creating a compressed and encrypted tar archive out of a full rdup dump might be done as follows rdup -Pgzip -Pmcrypt,-f,KEY,-c /dev/null /home | rdup-tr -O tar > my-home-zipped-and-crypted.tar Or even pack and unpack it on the fly rdup -Pgzip -Pmcrypt,-fKEY,-c /dev/null /home | rdup-tr -Otar | ssh user@remotehost tar xvCf /tmp - Or encryption with openssl rdup -Popenssl,enc,-e,-des-cbc,-k,secret /dev/null /home Or, compressing with gzip, encrypting with openssl and then compressing the entire archive yet again rdup -Pgzip -Popenssl,enc,-e,-des-cbc,-k,secret /dev/null /home | gzip > my_compressed_encrypted_rdup_archive.gz Recreating the original rdup output, which can be fed to rdup-up. gunzip -c my_compressed_encrypted_rdup_archive.gz | rdup-tr -Popenssl,enc,-d,-des-cbc,-k,secret -Pgzip,-d > my_rdup_archive rdup-up < my_rdup_archive -t /tmp/restore Notice the reversal of the -P options. EXIT CODE
rdup-tr return a zero exit code on success, otherwise 1 is returned. AUTHOR
Written by Miek Gieben. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <miek@miek.nl>. SEE ALSO
http:/www.miek.nl/projects/rdup/ is the main site of rdup. Also see rdup(1), rdup-up(1) and rdup-backups(7). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005-2010 Miek Gieben. This is free software. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Licensed under the GPL version 3. See the file LICENSE in the source distribution of rdup. 1.1.11 27 Nov 2008 RDUP-TR(1)