Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Red Hat 5.10 repository issue - desktop version Post 302878713 by SkySmart on Sunday 8th of December 2013 09:44:44 AM
Old 12-08-2013
Red Hat 5.10 repository issue - desktop version

this is proving to be a real pain to set up. i recently installed red hat 5.10 desktop version.

install went well. i've registered my system, but i cant seem to yum install simple packages.

i can install some packages, but many others i cant. for instance, i cant do a:
Code:
yum install php

yum search php

when i do, i get a:

Code:
no package php available

anything else i can try? i've enabled everything that has "enabled = 0" in the /etc/yum.repos.d/ directory and that still didn't help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Version 3

Hello there guys, i'm new in this linux world and i'm having problems with telnet session. I enabled telnet login but it wont let me login as root. is there a file that i need to take a look to make sure that root could telnet to the system. Thanks a lot guys for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
2 Replies

2. Ubuntu

Red Hat Linux & Desktop Market Share

Hello Everyone! A simple question: Do you think that Red Hat Linux will be obtaining a MAJOR share of the desktop operating systems on personal computers in near future? 1. Yes 2. No 3.Not Sure Thanks JAM (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jawwad
13 Replies

3. Red Hat

Virtual Red Hat version

Hello, Is there a Virtual Red hat that will work with Windows Vista? I would like to become more familiar with it and a virtual version will help me with a hands on approach. Nov_User (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nov_user
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx for red hat version 5.4

Hi, i am trying to use mailx utility on red hat. I am unsuccessful in doing it. kindly see below for the steps i am doing :- 1) mailx -s "testing" user@ipaddress 2) when i check my /var/mail/ folder there is no file being generated by the name user, instead there is a file being... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dazdseg
10 Replies

5. Red Hat

How to Install Red Hat Linux Desktop version 4?

I want to install Red Hat Linux Desktop version 4. Please tell me the step-by-step installation and which file system will be best for this O/S? Like in windows, we have NTFS file system(which has very security features). Is there any such file system in Linux? Which file system should i use? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to Install Red Hat Linux Desktop version 4?

I want to install Red Hat Linux Desktop version 4. Please tell me the step-by-step installation and which file system will be best for this O/S? Like in windows, we have NTFS file system(which has very security features). Is there any such file system in Linux? Which file system should i use?... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

not large enough to display the application in red hat linux x win desktop

I use red hat linux es 5 I use startx to start the x-win desktop. But when I use vritual manager . The display application is too large so the bottom part for the application cannot show out. I cannot scroll down to get the display of bottm part . So, I do not know what button display at the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuikingman
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

How can I get Red Hat Desktop edition?

Is there any way to install Red Hat Linux any version without purchasing? If yes, Please help me. I know Fedora is alternative way of Free Linux. But I am more interested to install Red Hat Linux for Personal Use. If anyone really knows about this... Please Please Please help. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sagarsbhandare
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to know if i use "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" or "Red Hat Desktop" ?

how to know if i use "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" or "Red Hat Desktop" ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Any desktop models popular with Red Hat?

I am planning to install the latest version of Red Hat on a desktop computer, and use it as a platform to become more up-to-date on Linux and associated open source applications. I'm thinking to buy a used Dell or HP desktop computer; maybe two or three years old (or newer); on which to install... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CarsonsPlanet
2 Replies
yum-cron(8)															       yum-cron(8)

NAME
yum-cron - an interface to convieniently call yum from cron SYNOPSIS
yum-cron [config-file] DESCRIPTION
yum-cron is an alternate interface to yum that is optimised to be convenient to call from cron. It provides methods to keep repository metadata up to date, and to check for, download, and apply updates. Rather than accepting many different command line arguments, the dif- ferent functions of yum-cron can be accessed through config files. config-file is used to optionally specify the path to the configuration file to use. If it is not given, the default configuration file will be used. It is useful to be able to specify different configuration files for different use cases. For example, one configuration file might be set to update the repository metadata, and a line could be added to the crontab to run yum-cron frequently using this file. Then, another configuration file might be set to install updates, and yum-cron could be run from cron using this file just once each day. FILES
/etc/yum/yum-cron.conf /etc/yum/yum-cron-hourly.conf SEE ALSO
yum (8) AUTHORS
See the Authors file included with this program. BUGS
There of course aren't any bugs, but if you find any, you should email the mailing list, yum@lists.baseurl.org, or consult bugzilla. Nick Jacek yum-cron(8)