Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Creating a function that sends a mail using mail command Post 302878672 by MadeInGermany on Saturday 7th of December 2013 10:21:46 PM
Old 12-07-2013
The problem description is a bit confusing.
I think the following interpretation makes sense: the function m takes 4 parameters, and runs mail, passing parameters as arguments with additional -s and -t arguments, as required by mail.
Your current function assigns variables but does not run the mail command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron Sends mail to root on completion of job.

All I am running a few scripts through a cron job. This is for checking some key services that are running on by box. The problem is, everytime the cron runs, it sends a mail to the root account. The root account mails need to cleared every now and then. Is there some way I can stop these... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skotapal
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP Script that sends mail - Postfix breaks it

I have a PHP Script that works perfectly on a server that uses Sendmail. However I tried to port it to a new server that has the Postfix to Sendmail compatibility interface, and it doesn't work properly. The php.ini file has the path for sendmail on both servers set to: /usr/sbin/sendmail -t... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: boopfm523
0 Replies

3. Solaris

how to forward mail in /var/mail/username to external mail

Dear All, Now I use solaris 10 and I try to forward mail from /var/mail/username to their external mail so what should I do? thank u in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unitipon
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to know if the mailx command really sends the mail to the email address?

Hi guys, I have a question about the returning message of the mailx command. if I run a mailx command, how can I know if the email has been sent to the email address? If the email address doesn't exist, is there any error message returned? If yes, how can I get the error message? Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheenshine
3 Replies

5. Solaris

identify the mail server for mail command

Hi , I am new to unix , i am using the mail and mailx command to send the mail .How come i will know the my mail command using which server as mail box.. Please help me .. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: julirani
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need to configure mail setting to send mail to outlook mail server

i have sun machines having solaris 9 & 10 OS . Now i need to send mail from the machines to my outlook account . I have the ip adress of OUTLOOK mail server. Now what are the setting i need to do in solaris machines so that i can use mailx or sendmail. actually i am trying to automate the high... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitranjansahu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to send the mail using mail and mailx command

Hi All, I am trying to send a mail from linux server but could'nt able to send the mail. I tried the below syntax's so far but no luck. mail -s “Hello world” abc@xyz.com < /usr/g/txt.log cat "txt.log" | mailx -s "Hello world" abc@xyz.com mailx -s “Hello world” abc@xyz.com <... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send mail using PHP mail function On apache server.?

Hello, I am using centos-6.2 I have apache server,php5 on my system and I want to send mail using sendmail on my system. when I try to send mail from shell that time mail is succesfully sent to respective address() but when I try to send it through webbrowser I am not able to send it.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kiran ursal
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unable to send mail with 'mail' command

I am unable to cause the 'mail' command to send mail from my linux ubuntu 15.10 computer. File 'mail.log' typically reports Connection timed out. I issue the command: mail -s "my subject" recipient@domain.com < filenamewhere filename is a file containing my message. Specifically, the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tcnm
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Client was not authenticated to send anonymous mail during MAIL FROM (in reply to MAIL FROM comm

I am having trouble getting mail to work on a red hat server. At first I was getting this message. Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; delivery temporarily suspended: connect to :25: Connection refused Then added the port to my firewall. Then I temporarily turned off selinux. I then copied this file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies
from(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  from(1B)

NAME
from - display the sender and date of newly-arrived mail messages SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/from [-s sender] [username] DESCRIPTION
The from utility prints out the mail header lines in your mailbox file to show you who your mail is from. If username is specified, user- name's mailbox is examined instead of your own. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -s sender Only display headers for mail sent by sender. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of from when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). FILES
/var/mail/* ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
biff(1B), mail(1B), attributes(5), largefile(5) SunOS 5.11 28 Jan 2004 from(1B)