Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Connect to my Linux network remotely? Post 302878669 by sas on Saturday 7th of December 2013 09:57:58 PM
Old 12-07-2013
Thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to setup something like this:

Since the HP's have Internet dhcp on eth1, can a laptop that's configured to dhcp find another device on that same wifi network. The laptop (runs Win/Linux) but only wifi????

I'm stuck here.

I can connect the laptop to the switch and give it a static ethernet IP and then ssh into any of the 6 servers, but when I go wifi w the laptop I am at a loss....

I'd like to ssh into any of the 6 servers wirelessly from the laptop. And if possible get into the 6 servers like that Windows Remote Desktop tool does (ie I want to run startx on all 6 servers and see that GUI off my wirelessly connected laptop)? Sorry for sounding sooo clueless, I know a little re networking, but not muchSmilie

---------- Post updated at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:04 PM ----------

update, I was able to connect the laptop to the three HP servers by finding out what their IP was, that the router assigned them using:
Code:
/sbin/ifconfig

woohoo. 1 down, 1 left to go.

Thinking Remmina might work?
http://remmina.sourceforge.net/links.shtml

Last edited by sas; 12-08-2013 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: fixed image to be hosted here as per Neo's advice

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Connect: Network is unreachable

I am running RH7.3 on a compaq presario box. The network card is a Linksys one. I am only able to communicate with the local network (only the local IPs are accessible). When I try to ping another box I get a "Connect: Network is unreachable" message. What could be the problem. Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

Cannot connect to rest of network/internet

I have a solaris 9 system that cannot get to the internet and cannot ping outside of the router. I can ping any other system on this campus but when i try to ping any other system outside of the campus im on i get unreachable. Here is the systems info: ip: 10.241.3.254 subnet: 255.254.0.0... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: meyersp
7 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to connect to a Network disk using SAMBA

Hi, I have a network disk that runs windows xp embedded. It doesnt support NFS. But Samba is supported. How do i connect to it through solaris 9. What are the steps required. I have the IP address of the drive. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: R00tSc0rpi0n
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to remotely connect to server using ssh

Hi, I am trying to run the below command in perl but when the perl script is executed it prompts a error message saying " ssh: <username>: Name or service not known ". Not able to understand this as this command runs perfectly on the server prompt. ` ssh <username>@pus4026dev df -k >>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: be2sp1
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to connect remotely to a unix machine

Hello, I am connecting on a machine equiped with Unix, via SSH Secure Shell. On this machine I am running a script and I would like this script to be able to connect to another (Unix) machine to run a different process. In other words: when I am connected on a machine, how can I execute a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

Can AnyOne Help Me (connect two network)

Hi.. I have problem about connecting two network. First let me tell about my project. I use Quagga to build up IPv6 Island Network. At first, i build one (1) PC Router or one (1) network, i call it as Network A. All PC's or Laptop's (node's) that connect to Network A can communicated to each other... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lieyza
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Cannot connect to network in Solaris 11

I want to install Solaris 11 Express on my x86 system. I'm facing network driver problems. I've 3 network cards: 1. Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection In Device Driver Utility, This device is displayed as Ethernet controller, Driver is UNK and its highlighted in RED. 2. Belkin... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: choudharypranay
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to identify a network device before trying to connect to it?

Hello all, Here is the explanation of my problem: I have a cronjob that connects to a NAS to do backups from my laptop to this NAS device. The script that I wrote does check if there is a host (the NAS) responding on 192.168.1.10 and tries to connect to it with the following command: mount -v... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: freddie50
3 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

When i start CSF i cant connect VPS or download any data into it It appears i cant connect Linux VP?

It appears i cant connect linux VPS server via SSH or i cant SCP any file to it and i cant wget any file TO it (from inside it) while CSF (Config Server Firewall, LFD is running. Just after isntall in default configuration and after changing TESTING mode to LIVE mode. Trying to wget & install... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: postcd
1 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Could not connect to wireless network

I run lubuntu from usb (try lubuntu, it's not install on my pc ) And i try to connect to network I see the network name And i put the pass But it's not connect.. I tried to open hot spot on my phone and try to connect and it's not connect I have edumax n150 Try to install new driver -... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: popcoern
0 Replies
PPPOE-RELAY(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    PPPOE-RELAY(8)

NAME
pppoe-relay - user-space PPPoE relay agent. SYNOPSIS
pppoe-relay [options] DESCRIPTION
pppoe-relay is a user-space relay agent for PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet) for Linux. pppoe-relay works in concert with the pppoe client and pppoe-server server. See the OPERATION section later in this manual for details on how pppoe-relay works. OPTIONS
-S interface Adds the Ethernet interface interface to the list of interfaces managed by pppoe-relay. Only PPPoE servers may be connected to this interface. -C interface Adds the Ethernet interface interface to the list of interfaces managed by pppoe-relay. Only PPPoE clients may be connected to this interface. -B interface Adds the Ethernet interface interface to the list of interfaces managed by pppoe-relay. Both PPPoE clients and servers may be con- nected to this interface. -n num Allows at most num concurrent PPPoE sessions. If not specified, the default is 5000. num can range from 1 to 65534. -i timeout Specifies the session idle timeout. If both peers in a session are idle for more than timeout seconds, the session is terminated. If timeout is specified as zero, sessions will never be terminated because of idleness. Note that the idle-session expiry routine is never run more frequently than every 30 seconds, so the timeout is approximate. The default value for timeout is 600 seconds (10 minutes.) -F The -F option causes pppoe-relay not to fork into the background; instead, it remains in the foreground. -h The -h option prints a brief usage message and exits. OPERATION
pppoe-relay listens for incoming PPPoE PADI frames on all interfaces specified with -B or -C options. When a PADI frame appears, pppoe- relay adds a Relay-Session-ID tag and broadcasts the PADI on all interfaces specified with -B or -S options (except the interface on which the frame arrived.) Any PADO frames received are relayed back to the client which sent the PADI (assuming they contain valid Relay-Session-ID tags.) Likewise, PADR frames from clients are relayed back to the matching access concentrator. When a PADS frame is received, pppoe-relay enters the two peers' MAC addresses and session-ID's into a hash table. (The session-ID seen by the access concentrator may be different from that seen by the client; pppoe-relay must renumber sessions to avoid the possibility of duplicate session-ID's.) Whenever either peer sends a session frame, pppoe-relay looks up the session entry in the hash table and relays the frame to the correct peer. When a PADT frame is received, pppoe-relay relays it to the peer and deletes the session entry from its hash table. If a client and server crash (or frames are lost), PADT frames may never be sent, and pppoe-relay's hash table can fill up with stale ses- sions. Therefore, a session-cleaning routine runs periodically, and removes old sessions from the hash table. A session is considered "old" if no traffic has been seen within timeout seconds. When a session is deleted because of a timeout, a PADT frame is sent to each peer to make certain that they are aware the session has been killed. EXAMPLE INVOCATIONS
pppoe-relay -C eth0 -S eth1 The example above relays frames between PPPoE clients on the eth0 network and PPPoE servers on the eth1 network. pppoe-relay -B eth0 -B eth1 This example is a transparent relay -- frames are relayed between any mix of clients and servers on the eth0 and eth1 networks. pppoe-relay -S eth0 -C eth1 -C eth2 -C eth3 This example relays frames between servers on the eth0 network and clients on the eth1, eth2 and eth3 networks. AUTHORS
pppoe-relay was written by David F. Skoll <dfs@roaringpenguin.com>. The pppoe home page is http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/. SEE ALSO
pppoe-start(8), pppoe-stop(8), pppoe-connect(8), pppd(8), pppoe.conf(5), pppoe(8), pppoe-setup(8), pppoe-status(8), pppoe-sniff(8), pppoe- server(8) 4th Berkeley Distribution 26 January 2001 PPPOE-RELAY(8)