Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Counting all words that start with a capital letter in a string using python dictionary Post 302878576 by royalibrahim on Saturday 7th of December 2013 06:05:29 AM
Old 12-07-2013
Counting all words that start with a capital letter in a string using python dictionary

Hi,

I have written the following python snippet to store the capital letter starting words into a dictionary as key and no of its appearances as a value in this dictionary against the key.
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python
import sys
import re
hash = {} # initialize an empty dictinonary
for line in sys.stdin.readlines():
    for word in line.strip().split(): # removing newline char at the end of the line
        #l = re.search("\b[A-Z]\S+", word)
        if word[0].isupper():
            if word in hash:
                hash[word] += 1
            else:
                hash[word] = 1
for word, cnt in hash.iteritems(): # iterating over the dictionary items
    sys.stdout.write("%d %s\n" % (cnt, word))

In the above code, I am using the array index to check for the uppercase. But when I tried to re-code it using the regular expression as:
Code:
l = re.search("\b[A-Z]\S+", word)

that is not fetching me the anticipated output. Expecting your help in this regard.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transformation capital letter

:confused: Hye everybody i would like to know if exist a internet site where i can founs some interesting shell script very usefull I need to transform hundreds names of files escribed in CAPITAL letter in minuscule letter do oyu know a mean o do that that thanks to a script or a shell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dark Angel
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find capital letter names in a file without finding words at start of sentence

Hi, I want to be able to list all the names in a file which begin with a capital letter, but I don't want it to list words that begin a new sentence. Is there any way round this? Thanks for your help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kev269
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search for words with capital leters

Hi, I just want to search a file for any words containng a capital letter and then display these words only as a list I have been trying grep but to no has not helped.(im using the bash shell) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: djdaniel3
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting day to capital letter...

Hello, I am receiving a file every day as this format. Since today is friday, the format is, PGI_STG_FRIDAY14.TXT. I need to write the shell script to check if this file exist in folder... I am using date format.. export DATE=`date '+%A'` echo $DATE The output is Friday But i... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] check if chars is a capital letter and translate it

how can i check if read -n 1 LETTER; LETTER is a capital letter and after translate in minuscule. i have thought with: tr or no? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tafazzi87
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make all words begin with capital letter?

I need to use bash to convert sentences where all words start with a small letter into one where all words start with a capital letter. So that a string like: are utilities ready for hurricane sandy becomes: Are Utilities Ready For Hurricane Sandy (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines between the start string and end string including start and end string Python

Hi, I am trying to remove lines once a string is found till another string is found including the start string and end string. I want to basically grab all the lines starting with color (closing bracket). PS: The line after the closing bracket for color could be anything (currently 'more').... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dabheeruz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gawk gensub, match capital words and lowercase words

Hi I have strings like these : Vengeance mitt Men Vengeance gloves Women Quatro Windstopper Etip gloves Quatro Windstopper Etip gloves Girls Thermobite hooded jacket Thermobite Triclimate snow jacket Boys Thermobite Triclimate snow jacket and I would like to get the lower case words at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: louisJ
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace the first letter of each line by a capital

Hi, I need to replace, as the title says, the first letter of each line (when it's not a number) by the same letter, but capital. For instance : hello Who 123pass Would become : Hello Who 123pass Is there a way with sed to do that ? Or other unix command ? Thank you :) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganon551
7 Replies
WTOC(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   WTOC(1)

NAME
wtoc - Convert a Wnn text-form dictionary (or dictionaries) into Canna text-form dictionaries SYNOPSIS
wtoc [-f hinshidata] [wnnjisho] [cannajisho] DESCRIPTION
wtoc converts a Wnn text-form dictionary file into Canna text-form dictionary file. If all dictionary files are omitted, the Wnn dictio- nary data is input through the standard input. In this case, the dictionary of the Japanes Input System is output from the standard out- put. If one dictionary file is specified, it will be regarded as a Wnn dictionary. At this time, Canna dictionary output to the standard output. OPTIONS
-f hinshidata The user can add new information about word-type correspondence between Wnn and Canna. The following word-type correspondence information must be described in the hinshidata file. Within one line, describe the Wnn word type name and the Canna word type while delimiting by a space(s) or tab. Wnn word type Canna word type Adverb #F04 EXAMPLE
% wtoc -f tsuikahinshi kihon.u kihon.t Inputs word-type correspondence information from tsuikahinshi, then converts Wnn text-form dictionary kihon.u into the Canna text-form dic- tionary before output. % wtoc special.u | lpr Converts Wnn text-form dictionary special.u into Canna text-form dictionary, then outputs the result to the line printer. SEE ALSO
ctow(1) WTOC(1)