Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Creating a function that sends a mail using mail command Post 302878571 by Drucian on Saturday 7th of December 2013 01:46:02 AM
Old 12-07-2013
Creating a function that sends a mail using mail command

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:

The function will be called m and it will allow you to send an email to someone using the mail command. The function should take the To: address, a Cc: address using the –t parameter, a subject line using the –s parameter and an input file. When running this function, you will type something like the following as an example:

m email1 email2 subject someinputfile.

2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:

m email1 email2 subject someinputfile
-t, -s

3. The attempts at a solution (include all code and scripts):
Code:
m()  
{  
mail=$1  
-t=$2  
-t=$3  
-s=$4  
<=$5  
}

4. Complete Name of School (University), City (State), Country, Name of Professor, and Course Number (Link to Course):

Chemeketa Community College, Salem, Oregon, USA, D. Kraus, CIS140U (Cannot link yet)

Last edited by Drucian; 12-07-2013 at 02:54 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron Sends mail to root on completion of job.

All I am running a few scripts through a cron job. This is for checking some key services that are running on by box. The problem is, everytime the cron runs, it sends a mail to the root account. The root account mails need to cleared every now and then. Is there some way I can stop these... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skotapal
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP Script that sends mail - Postfix breaks it

I have a PHP Script that works perfectly on a server that uses Sendmail. However I tried to port it to a new server that has the Postfix to Sendmail compatibility interface, and it doesn't work properly. The php.ini file has the path for sendmail on both servers set to: /usr/sbin/sendmail -t... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: boopfm523
0 Replies

3. Solaris

how to forward mail in /var/mail/username to external mail

Dear All, Now I use solaris 10 and I try to forward mail from /var/mail/username to their external mail so what should I do? thank u in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unitipon
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to know if the mailx command really sends the mail to the email address?

Hi guys, I have a question about the returning message of the mailx command. if I run a mailx command, how can I know if the email has been sent to the email address? If the email address doesn't exist, is there any error message returned? If yes, how can I get the error message? Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheenshine
3 Replies

5. Solaris

identify the mail server for mail command

Hi , I am new to unix , i am using the mail and mailx command to send the mail .How come i will know the my mail command using which server as mail box.. Please help me .. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: julirani
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need to configure mail setting to send mail to outlook mail server

i have sun machines having solaris 9 & 10 OS . Now i need to send mail from the machines to my outlook account . I have the ip adress of OUTLOOK mail server. Now what are the setting i need to do in solaris machines so that i can use mailx or sendmail. actually i am trying to automate the high... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitranjansahu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to send the mail using mail and mailx command

Hi All, I am trying to send a mail from linux server but could'nt able to send the mail. I tried the below syntax's so far but no luck. mail -s “Hello world” abc@xyz.com < /usr/g/txt.log cat "txt.log" | mailx -s "Hello world" abc@xyz.com mailx -s “Hello world” abc@xyz.com <... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send mail using PHP mail function On apache server.?

Hello, I am using centos-6.2 I have apache server,php5 on my system and I want to send mail using sendmail on my system. when I try to send mail from shell that time mail is succesfully sent to respective address() but when I try to send it through webbrowser I am not able to send it.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kiran ursal
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unable to send mail with 'mail' command

I am unable to cause the 'mail' command to send mail from my linux ubuntu 15.10 computer. File 'mail.log' typically reports Connection timed out. I issue the command: mail -s "my subject" recipient@domain.com < filenamewhere filename is a file containing my message. Specifically, the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tcnm
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Client was not authenticated to send anonymous mail during MAIL FROM (in reply to MAIL FROM comm

I am having trouble getting mail to work on a red hat server. At first I was getting this message. Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; delivery temporarily suspended: connect to :25: Connection refused Then added the port to my firewall. Then I temporarily turned off selinux. I then copied this file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies
CVSBUG(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 CVSBUG(8)

NAME
cvsbug - send problem report (PR) about CVS to a central support site SYNOPSIS
cvsbug [ site ] [ -f problem-report ] [ -t mail-address ] [ -P ] [ -L ] [ --request-id ] [ -v ] DESCRIPTION
cvsbug is a tool used to submit problem reports (PRs) to a central support site. In most cases the correct site will be the default. This argument indicates the support site which is responsible for the category of problem involved. Some sites may use a local address as a default. site values are defined by using the aliases(5). cvsbug invokes an editor on a problem report template (after trying to fill in some fields with reasonable default values). When you exit the editor, cvsbug sends the completed form to the Problem Report Management System (GNATS) at a central support site. At the support site, the PR is assigned a unique number and is stored in the GNATS database according to its category and submitter-id. GNATS automati- cally replies with an acknowledgement, citing the category and the PR number. To ensure that a PR is handled promptly, it should contain your (unique) submitter-id and one of the available categories to identify the problem area. (Use `cvsbug -L' to see a list of categories.) The cvsbug template at your site should already be customized with your submitter-id (running `install-sid submitter-id' to accomplish this is part of the installation procedures for cvsbug). If this hasn't been done, see your system administrator for your submitter-id, or request one from your support site by invoking `cvsbug --request-id'. If your site does not distinguish between different user sites, or if you are not affiliated with the support site, use `net' for this field. The more precise your problem description and the more complete your information, the faster your support team can solve your problems. OPTIONS
-f problem-report specify a file (problem-report) which already contains a complete problem report. cvsbug sends the contents of the file without invoking the editor. If the value for problem-report is `-', then cvsbug reads from standard input. -t mail-address Change mail address at the support site for problem reports. The default mail-address is the address used for the default site. Use the site argument rather than this option in nearly all cases. -P print the form specified by the environment variable PR_FORM on standard output. If PR_FORM is not set, print the standard blank PR template. No mail is sent. -L print the list of available categories. No mail is sent. --request-id sends mail to the default support site, or site if specified, with a request for your submitter-id. If you are not affiliated with site, use a submitter-id of net'. -v Display the cvsbug version number. Note: use cvsbug to submit problem reports rather than mailing them directly. Using both the template and cvsbug itself will help ensure all necessary information will reach the support site. ENVIRONMENT
The environment variable EDITOR specifies the editor to invoke on the template. default: vi If the environment variable PR_FORM is set, then its value is used as the file name of the template for your problem-report editing ses- sion. You can use this to start with a partially completed form (for example, a form with the identification fields already completed). HOW TO FILL OUT A PROBLEM REPORT
Problem reports have to be in a particular form so that a program can easily manage them. Please remember the following guidelines: o describe only one problem with each problem report. o For follow-up mail, use the same subject line as the one in the automatic acknowledgement. It consists of category, PR number and the original synopsis line. This allows the support site to relate several mail messages to a particular PR and to record them automati- cally. o Please try to be as accurate as possible in the subject and/or synopsis line. o The subject and the synopsis line are not confidential. This is because open-bugs lists are compiled from them. Avoid confidential information there. See the GNU Info file cvsbug.info or the document Reporting Problems With cvsbug for detailed information on reporting problems HOW TO SUBMIT TEST CASES, CODE, ETC. Submit small code samples with the PR. Contact the support site for instructions on submitting larger test cases and problematic source code. FILES
/tmp/p$$ copy of PR used in editing session /tmp/pf$$ copy of empty PR form, for testing purposes /tmp/pbad$$ file for rejected PRs INSTALLATION AND CONFIGURATION
See INSTALL for installation instructions. SEE ALSO
gnats(l), query-pr(1), edit-pr(1), gnats(8), queue-pr(8), at-pr(8), mkcat(8), mkdist(8). AUTHORS
Jeffrey Osier, Brendan Kehoe, Jason Merrill, Heinz G. Seidl (Cygnus Support) COPYING
Copyright (c) 1992, 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of this manual provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are preserved on all copies. Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of this manual under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided that the entire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of a permission notice identical to this one. Permission is granted to copy and distribute translations of this manual into another language, under the above conditions for modified versions, except that this permission notice may be included in translations approved by the Free Software Foundation instead of in the original English. February 1993 xVERSIONx CVSBUG(8)