Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Password Expiration Policy
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Password Expiration Policy Post 302878543 by DGPickett on Friday 6th of December 2013 04:22:00 PM
Old 12-06-2013
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please do not cut-and-paste links without adding value to the discussion.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password expiration warning.

Hi, Anyone know the command which identifies how long a user has before their password expires? I also need to know how I would write and expr to calculate the difference between 2 dates. e.g. 28/03/05 - 18/03/05 = 10 I was told there is a date function which shows you no of days since... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshy
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

UNIX ID Password Expiration

We are trying to implement an Password Aging system that will force UNIX Accounts to change their passwords every 3 mons or so. This will be done my our Server Support Provider. We want to identify UNIX IDs that connects to our server via ftp,scp,sftp and other special connection protocols. IN... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tads98
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Password Expiration Days Required

Hi all, I need to get the Unix "password Expiration Days". I know that "shadow" file contains this information. But shadow file can only be read by root. Note that password expiration date will be set differently for diferrent user accounts. I need to get the inormation for the currently... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj_vkr
3 Replies

4. AIX

Password Expiration Days Needed

Hi All, I am using AIX I need to get the Unix "password Expiration Days". I know that "shadow" file contains this information. But shadow file can only be read by root. Note that password expiration date will be set differently for diferrent user accounts. I need to get the inormation for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj_vkr
0 Replies

5. Solaris

password expiration

Hello can anyone explain where can be found logic for user password expiration on solaris as well as on reliant UNIX?? there is not much help of /etc/security directory..does not exist! any help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulaziz
3 Replies

6. Linux

password expiration ?!?

Hi All, I have this user on my /etc/shadow: mysql:$1$vmw4r078$4.lp6z2s0KJYHKXTuPG2x0:13556:0::12::: The 5 column is blank. Does it mean the user has no password expiration. Thanks in advance for any idea. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

7. AIX

Mail for password expiration

Hi guys, A simple question. which mecanism send an email to an unix user for the expiration of his password? Thank you! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chapel
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Password Expiration Notification

Hello, I want to write a script to check for the password expiration date in each server for the user by logging to each server and notify user through mail. If password is about to expire or if already expired , it should also be notified to user by mail. Any help or idea to build this will be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baraghun
1 Replies

9. AIX

Password expiration

Hi Admins, AIX 5.3 I know maxage value tells the system about password expiration policy. One of the user's maxage is 5 weeks.But he changed the password long backup at 2008 according to lastupdate value. Since maxage is 5, the password should expire every 5 weeks.But how come... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newaix
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password expiration notification

Dear Concern, I want to write a shell script in linux for mail notification of users whose password is about to expire within 7 days or already has expired. Is there any alternative way except to check the "date" command output and compare it with "chage -l username" command output. Please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: makauser
1 Replies
MOD-ACTIVE(8)						    InterNetNews Documentation						     MOD-ACTIVE(8)

NAME
mod-active - Batch processing of newsgroups creation and removal commands SYNOPSIS
mod-active [ctlinnd-command-file ...] DESCRIPTION
mod-active is a Perl script that updates the active file based on its input lines of ctlinnd "newgroup", "rmgroup" and "changegroup" commands. It pauses the server briefly while the existing active file is read and rewritten, which not only keeps innd from updating the active file but also locks against other instances of mod-active. The script must be run as the news user. The input to mod-active can come either from one or more ctlinnd-command-file files named on the command line, or from the standard input. Typically its input is the output from the docheckgroups or actsync commands. Every line which contains the string "ctlinnd newgroup", "ctlinnd rmgroup", or "ctlinnd changegroup", optionally preceded by whitespace and/or the path to ctlinnd, is noted for the update. Redundant commands, such as a newgroup directive for a group that already exists, are silently ignored. All other lines in the input are also silently ignored. After the new active file has been generated, the existing one is renamed to active.old and the new one is moved into place. The script then displays the differences between the two files. Any groups that were added to the active file are also added to the active.times file with the string "checkgroups-update". Please note that no syntax checking is performed on group names by mod-active. BUGS
Though innd is paused while mod-active works, it is not inconceivable that there could be a conflict if something else tries to update the active file during the relatively short time that mod-active is working. The two most realistic ways for this to happen are either by an administrator concurrently doing a manual ctlinnd command, or by innd receiving a control message, then mod-active pausing the server, then the control message handler script that innd forked running its own ctlinnd command while mod-active is working. Note that such scenarios are very unlikely to happen. HISTORY
Written by David C Lawrence <tale@isc.org> for InterNetNews. Converted to POD by Julien Elie. SEE ALSO
active(5), active.times(5), actsync(8), ctlinnd(8), docheckgroups(8), innd(8). INN 2.5.2 2009-05-21 MOD-ACTIVE(8)