Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Shell Script to sed with Multiple Files Post 302878377 by Don Cragun on Friday 6th of December 2013 12:30:38 AM
Old 12-06-2013
Did it look like you were getting the correct set of arguments to give to sed when you tried my sample script? (Did you try my sample script before changing it?)

Why did you change:
Code:
for FILE in "$@"

in your original code and in my example to:
Code:
for FILE in *

The shell expands "$@" to a list of the quoted arguments remaining on your command line after the shift commands removed your first two command-line arguments. The shell expands * to a list of files in the current directory.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to send multiple files from the shell script

hi, how to send multiple files from the shell script eg : i have /home/adm/file1 /home/adm/file2 /home/adm/cfg how can i attach these files in the mail ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed inside bash script - accessing multiple files

I have a file (email) containing email addresses. I have a second file (terms) that contains simple regular expressions and words/characters. Here are some examples: \.trainee \.group \.web I want to go through email and delete lines containing the expressions/words from terms and write... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manouche
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to join multiple files

I am a new to Linux and try to write a script to join three multiple files. For example, there are three files file1 # comment a Kevin b Vin c Sam file 2 # comment a 10 b 20 c 40 file 3 # comment a blue b yellow (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonosungho
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split line to multiple files Awk/Sed/Shell Script help

Hi, I need help to split lines from a file into multiple files. my input look like this: 13 23 45 45 6 7 33 44 55 66 7 13 34 5 6 7 87 45 7 8 8 9 13 44 55 66 77 8 44 66 88 99 6 I want to split every 3 lines from this file to be written to individual files. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need shell script for ftpying multiple files

Hi All, I am a beginner for shell programming. I have a requirement to ftp multiple files. Here are the details. I have around thiry files in one directory, I want a shell script which selects 5 files at a time and does ftp them to another host . After the transfer for first files is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthn
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files with a shell script

Hey guys, I'm really new to UNIX and shell scripting in general. For my internship I need to rename a bunch of files. Specifically, I need to change the first letter of each of the files to lowercase and I have to change the endings so they all basically look like "file_cone.jpg". I know I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjzieve
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to ftp multiple files

Hi, i use the below script to send a single file to remote server from linux. ftp -nvi <<!EOF open $Host_name user $USER_ID $PWD binary mput $file_name quit !EOF (where i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradebban
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Shell Scripts Using sed in multiple files.

Hi, I was hoping that someone could help me. I have a problem that i am trying to work on and it requires me to change text within multiple files using sed. I use the program to change an occurance of a word throughout different files that are being tested. At first i had to Create a new script,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Johnny2518
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with Shell Scripts Using sed in multiple files.

Hi, I was hoping that someone could help me. I have a problem that i am trying to work on and it requires me to change text within multiple files using sed. What i have so far is !/bin/sh File1="$3" File2="$4" File3="$5" testNum="$File1" while test "$testNum" <= "$File3"; do echo... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johnny2518
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help getting a UNIX shell script to look at multiple files.

Hey everyone! I made a shell script that would go through a file and replace any phrase or letter with another phrase or letter. Helps update variable names or values. The following code is this: #!/bin/sh Word1="$1" Replace1="$2" File1="$3" arg=$( echo "$Word1" | sed 's:\:\\&:g' )... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebmonk
3 Replies
Locale::Script(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				       Locale::Script(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Script(3pm)