Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Linux centos, can't connect whois.tucows.com Post 302878272 by postcd on Thursday 5th of December 2013 10:37:08 AM
Old 12-05-2013
Hammer & Screwdriver Linux centos, can't connect whois.tucows.com

Hello, when i tried to get whois on an .com domain, it automatically used tucows whois, it appears it cant connect that server, please how can i fix it, so it dont fail or use another server?

Code:
whois mydomainname.com -f
+ whoisout='[Querying whois.verisign-grs.com]
[Redirected to whois.tucows.com]
[Querying whois.tucows.com]
[Unable to connect to remote host]'

I have:
Code:
Linux * 2.6.18-348.3.1.el5.028stab106.2 #1 SMP Wed Mar 27 16:56:40 MSK 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Linux Centos 5.4 BTMP file size

Dear fellows, I have Centos 5.4 linux with DNS server, all logs are normal, in my /var/log/ btmp files is getting larger day by day. What is this btmp file for? How can i reduce the file siez or control file size. Waiting. MAZ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maz
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

Installed apache server , can't connect from outside (using CentOS in WMware )

Hello all I installed apache in CentOS 5.5 ,after searching the web for tips on configuration I did the fallowing stuff to unable connecting the http server from outside. In /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf I changed the Listen value to 0.0.0.8011 Then checked with then check with: netstat -anp and I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

3. Linux

sort command in centos linux os

Iam working on centos os. Iam not able to sort records without option Please help me out Jayaprakash B. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpachar
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Authentication Failed in Linux centos

Hi everyone ... ( Linux Cent OS ) i cant login as root user in my lab machine ... i did give correct root and root passwd ..but it showing Authentication Failed ... plz help me (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolboys
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Autorun a program in Linux(Centos)

HI Expert, :confused: CAn some1 guide me how to run a program automatically whenever the PC/Server is rebooted ? Im not sure where to start from. PLease refer to the pic attached and do help me. Thanks in advance ---------------------------------------------------- (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: crazydude80
11 Replies

6. Web Development

Connect C#(App) + Exim en Centos

Hi everyone, Today i'm faceing a problem, that really hope for some help. I'm working in a Web application developed in C#(DB SQL Server 2012, IDE VS 2010), so i've hired two VPS (Virtual Private Server), one with Windows Server 2012 where it's running my app and the other VPS in Centos.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Newer
1 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Websockets proxy on CentOS Linux?

I need to setup a proxy that will sit in front of a websockets server and proxy websockets communication both to and from the server. There will only be one specific client trying to access this server using the websockets protocol. We can configure the proxy settings for port and IP on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

When i start CSF i cant connect VPS or download any data into it It appears i cant connect Linux VP?

It appears i cant connect linux VPS server via SSH or i cant SCP any file to it and i cant wget any file TO it (from inside it) while CSF (Config Server Firewall, LFD is running. Just after isntall in default configuration and after changing TESTING mode to LIVE mode. Trying to wget & install... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: postcd
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Hack a centos Linux box

HI, I have a Centos linux box and there is interface connect to internet. I stop the iptables in this box . After a few day , I find the linux box have been hacked and install some perl script into the box . Could anyone tell me how the hacker can login into the centos box without knowing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chuikingman
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to schedule a shell script in Linux centos?

Hi All, I have a script that I need to schedule on daily basis. How can I schedule a script in centos. Like I want to run that script evryday at 10 AM and can I store the output of the script in a log file. Thanks ---------- Post updated 04-18-14 at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous update... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Palak Sharma
0 Replies
WHOIS(1)							 Debian GNU/Linux							  WHOIS(1)

NAME
whois - client for the whois directory service SYNOPSIS
whois [ -h HOST ] [ -p PORT ] [ -aCFHlLMmrRSVx ] [ -g SOURCE:FIRST-LAST ] [ -i ATTR ] [ -S SOURCE ] [ -T TYPE ] object whois [ -t ] [ -v ] template whois [ -q ] keyword DESCRIPTION
whois searches for an object in a RFC 3912 database. This version of the whois client tries to guess the right server to ask for the specified object. If no guess can be made it will connect to whois.networksolutions.com for NIC handles or whois.arin.net for IPv4 addresses and network names. OPTIONS
-h HOST Connect to HOST. -H Do not display the legal disclaimers some registries like to show you. -p PORT Connect to PORT. --verbose Be verbose. --help Display online help. Other options are flags understood by RIPE-like servers. NOTES
Please remember that whois.networksolutions.com by default will only search in the domains database. If you want to search for NIC handles you have to prepend a ! character. When you do this, the default server becomes whois.networksolutions.com. When querying whois.arin.net for IPv4 or IPv6 networks, the CIDR netmask length will be automatically removed from the query string. When querying whois.nic.ad.jp for AS numbers, the program will automatically convert the request in the appropriate format, inserting a space after the string AS. When querying whois.denic.de for domain names and no other flags have been specified, the program will automatically add the flag -T dn. When querying whois.dk-hostmaster.dk for domain names and no other flags have been specified, the program will automatically add the flag --show-handles. RIPE-specific command line options are ignored when querying non-RIPE servers. This may or may not be the behaviour intended by the user. When querying a non-standard server, command line options which are not to be interpreted by the client should always follow the -- separa- tor (which marks the beginning of the query string). If the /etc/whois.conf config file exists, it will be consulted to find a server before applying the normal rules. Each line of the file should contain a regular expression to be matched against the query text and the whois server to use, separated by white space. The whois protocol does not specify an encoding for characters which cannot be represented by ASCII and implementations vary wildly. If the program knows that a specific server uses a certain encoding, if needed it will transcode the server output to the encoding specified by the current system locale. Command line arguments will always be interpreted accordingly to the current system locale and converted to the IDN ASCII Compatible Encod- ing. Files /etc/whois.conf ENVIRONMENT
LANG When querying whois.nic.ad.jp and whois.jprs.jp english text is requested unless the LANG or LC_MESSAGES environment variables spec- ify a Japanese locale. WHOIS_OPTIONS A list of options which will be evalued before the ones specified on the command line. WHOIS_SERVER This server will be queried if the program cannot guess where some kind of objects are located. If the variable does not exist then whois.arin.net will be queried. SEE ALSO
RFC 3912: WHOIS Protocol Specification RIPE-223: RIPE NCC Database Documentation Detailed help on available flags can be found in RIPE-223 or in the help file which can be obtained with the command: whois -h whois.ripe.net HELP BUGS
The program may have buffer overflows in the command line parser: be sure to not pass untrusted data to it. It should be rewritten to use a dynamics strings library. HISTORY
This program closely tracks the user interface of the whois client developed at RIPE by Ambrose Magee and others on the base of the origi- nal BSD client. I also added support for the protocol extensions developed by David Kessens of QWest for the 6bone server. AUTHOR
Whois and this man page were written by Marco d'Itri <md@linux.it> and are licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License, ver- sion 2 or higher. Marco d'Itri 20 December 2009 WHOIS(1)