Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get data from file using awk within strings. Post 302878234 by expert on Thursday 5th of December 2013 07:09:03 AM
Old 12-05-2013
Get data from file using awk within strings.

i am having the text data file as below.

Code:
Processing 1
a 111111
b
c
d
e
f
Processing 2
a
b 222222
c
erorr
d
e
f
Processing 3
a
b 3333
sucessfully updated
completed data for this file ,moving to next process for this file
c
d
e
f

i want to take the line between the "processing" keyword and get the value for b in third line which will not be always constant.

o/p required.
Code:
Processing 2
a
b 222222
c
erorr
d
e
f

i have done using using sed & grep , but it has taken more amount time for it.
can you guys help me with awk ?

Last edited by expert; 12-05-2013 at 08:53 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk how to search strings within a file from two different lines

Hi, i would really appreciate any help anyone can give with the following info. Thanks in advance. I need to run a search on a file that contains thousands of trades, each trade is added into the file in blocks of 25 lines. i know the search has to take place between a time stamp specified... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sp3arsy
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK, Perl or Shell? Unique strings and their maximum values from 3 column data file

I have a file containing data like so: 2012-01-02 GREEN 4 2012-01-02 GREEN 6 2012-01-02 GREEN 7 2012-01-02 BLUE 4 2012-01-02 BLUE 3 2012-01-02 GREEN 4 2012-01-02 RED 4 2012-01-02 RED 8 2012-01-02 GREEN 4 2012-01-02 YELLOW 5 2012-01-02 YELLOW 2 I can't always predict what the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

filling in strings in a template file using awk

Hi all, I have a template form to fill in for quite a number of files and I want to automate the filling-in process. the concept seemed to be simple but i cant get it work. the template form is a text file containing the information below: File Name: Date Created: Contents: I need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk based script to ignore all columns from a file which contains character strings

Hello All, I have a .CSV file where I expect all numeric data in all the columns other than column headers. But sometimes I get the files (result of statistics computation by other persons) like below( sample data) SNO,Data1,Data2,Data3 1,2,3,4 2,3,4,SOME STRING 3,4,Inf,5 4,5,4,4 I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk --> math-operation in data-record and joining with second file data

Hi! I have a pretty complex job - at least for me! i have two csv-files with meassurement-data: fileA ...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
2 Replies

6. Programming

How to replace the complex strings from a file using sed or awk?

Dear All, I am having a requirement to find the difference between 2 files and generate a discrepancy report out of it as an html page. I prefer using diff -y file1 file2 since it gives user friendly layout to know any discrepancy in the record and unique records among the 2 file. Here's how it... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Badhrish
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Relocation strings using awk/sed from a index file

Hi All, I'd always appreciate all helps from this website. I would like to relocate strings based on the index number from an index file. Index numbers are shown on the first column in the index file (index.txt) and I would like to relocate "path" based on index numbers. Paths are placed... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jypark22
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Match Strings between two files, print portions of each file together when matched ([g]awk)

I have two files and desire to use the strings from $1 of file 1 (file1.txt) as search criteria to find matches in $2 of file 2 (file2.txt). If matches are found I want to output the entire line of file 2 (file2.txt) followed by fields $2-$11 of file 1 (file1.txt). I can find the matches, I cannot... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use strings from nth field from one file to match strings in entire line in another file, awk

I cannot seem to get what should be a simple awk one-liner to work correctly and cannot figure out why. I would like to use patterns from a specific field in one file as regex to search for matching strings in the entire line ($0) of another file. I would like to output the lines of File2 which... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

(g)awk: Matching strings from one file in another file between two strings

Hello all, I can get close to what I am looking for but cannot seem to hit it exactly and was wondering if I could get your help. I have the following sample from textfile with many thousands of lines: File 1 PS001,001 HLK PS002,004 L<G PS004,002 XNN PS004,006 BVX PS004,006 ZBX=... (7 Replies)
7 Replies
Locale::Codes::Currency(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				Locale::Codes::Currency(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::Currency - standard codes for currency identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::Currency; $curr = code2currency('usd'); # $curr gets 'US Dollar' $code = currency2code('Euro'); # $code gets 'eur' @codes = all_currency_codes(); @names = all_currency_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::Currency" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying currencies and funds, such as those defined in ISO 4217. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 4217 three-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying currencies. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $curr = code2currency('usd','alpha'); $curr = code2currency('usd',LOCALE_CURR_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_CURR_ALPHA This is a set of three-letter (uppercase) codes from ISO 4217 such as EUR for Euro. Two of the codes specified by the standard (XTS which is reserved for testing purposes and XXX which is for transactions where no currency is involved) are omitted. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_CURR_NUMERIC This is the set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 4217. ROUTINES
code2currency ( CODE [,CODESET] ) currency2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) currency_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_currency_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_currency_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Currency::rename_currency ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Currency::add_currency ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Currency::delete_currency ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Currency::add_currency_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::Currency::delete_currency_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::Currency::rename_currency_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Currency::add_currency_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Currency::delete_currency_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iso.org/iso/support/currency_codes_list-1.htm The ISO 4217 data. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001 Michael Hennecke Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::Currency(3)