Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed: how do I insert a \ in my replace Post 302878132 by dheian on Wednesday 4th of December 2013 04:39:54 PM
Old 12-04-2013
I'll clarify my question. I found it difficult to post because my searches included html entities and the forum software was translating them into characters. The apos was just meant to represent the entity in the question.

Ok, so...

Search phrase: & #39; <--obviously without the space.
Replace phrase: \& #39; <-- backslash & #39; again obviously without the space.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert Text With Sed

Hello. Trying to insert text at line 1 and after last line of file. I have searched posts but nothing seems to work. I keep getting extra characters error or nothing gets inserted into the file. #!/bin/sh touch textfile.txt sed 'i\ Add this line before every line with WORD' textfile.txt ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steveramsey
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to insert line break + string in vi (search & replace )

Hello all i have big test file that has allot of structure text something like this : <foo1 *.html> <blah action> somthing 1 somthing 2 </blah> </foo1 > now i will like to insert 2 more lines of text below the <blah action> so it will be like : <foo1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace, insert n times a specific character

How can using Vim, replace one character with another repeating it 10 times? Ex.: Transforming this: 125A986 That: 125##########986 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: IJNeves
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to insert a separator

My txt file consists of records with 6 numbers followed by 3 characters. Is there a simple “sed” which will insert a | separator between the 6th and 7th position ? Many thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malts18
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - insert two lines

I have done this sed command to insert one line after a specific string is found: sed '/patternstring/ a\ new line string' file1 But how do I insert two lines? This is not possible: sed '/patternstring/ a\ new line string \a new line string 2' file1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - insert space at the beginning of line and multi replace command

hi I am trying to use SED to replace the line matching a pattern using the command sed 'pattern c\ new line ' <file1 >file 2 I got two questions 1. how do I insert a blank space at the beginning of new line? 2. how do I use this command to execute multiple command using the -e... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: piynik
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert/Update using sed

Hi, I have a xml file (Config.xml) with following entry <Date="" Node1="50" Groups="20"> Now I want to use sed to insert/update the Date field with the latest date say - 20120711. I can't use a simple replace command becuase the Date field could be blank ("") or sometimes could have value in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_damodaran
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to insert a character

Hi all, I have a file like this Q8N302 21-84 Q8N157 15-45 Q99996 167-201 202-251 269-318 I want to insert a character or space if the line starts with a number and I used the command sed 's/^/#/' But in the output file, when it inserts this character, first digit in the number is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaav06
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I insert text with sed ?

Hi I was wondering if anyone new of a solution to this problem? I need to copy a time stamp that is on a line of .text in a text file into multiple positions on the same line. I need to insert the time stamp on the same line between every occurance of the text ".pdf_.html" right after the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep or sed to search, replace/insert chars!

HI All Im trying to come up with an approach to finding a string, using a portion of that string to insert it on lines starting with the value "GOTO" appending to end of line after removing PT's ( See example below! ) EXAMPLE: 1. I would like to search for the line that starts with "TLAXIS/"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: graymj
7 Replies
idn2_lookup_ul(3)						      libidn2							 idn2_lookup_ul(3)

NAME
idn2_lookup_ul - API function SYNOPSIS
#include <idn2.h> int idn2_lookup_ul(const char * src, char ** lookupname, int flags); ARGUMENTS
const char * src input zero-terminated locale encoded string. char ** lookupname newly allocated output variable with name to lookup in DNS. int flags optional idn2_flags to modify behaviour. DESCRIPTION
Perform IDNA2008 lookup string conversion on domain name src, as described in section 5 of RFC 5891. Note that the input is assumed to be encoded in the locale's default coding system, and will be transcoded to UTF-8 and NFC normalized by this function. Pass IDN2_ALABEL_ROUNDTRIP in flags to convert any input A-labels to U-labels and perform additional testing. RETURNS
On successful conversion IDN2_OK is returned, if conversion from locale to UTF-8 fails then IDN2_ICONV_FAIL is returned, if the output domain or any label would have been too long IDN2_TOO_BIG_DOMAIN or IDN2_TOO_BIG_LABEL is returned, or another error code is returned. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for libidn2 is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and libidn2 programs are properly installed at your site, the command info libidn2 should give you access to the complete manual. libidn2 0.8 idn2_lookup_ul(3)