Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Moving directories
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Moving directories Post 302877827 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 3rd of December 2013 12:53:33 PM
Old 12-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by montywaite
Thanks
Looks good

How would I move
Code:
subj_1/session_1/AAA/sample.txt
subj_1/session_1/AAA/test.txt

from
~/home/study1
to
~/data/study1
Does ~/data/study1/subj_1 exist?

Are there any files in and under ~/home/study1/subj_1 that you don't want to move to ~/data/study1?

If you want to move (not copy) the files, and the answer to both questions above is "no", try:
Code:
mv ~/home/study1/subj_1 ~/data/study1/

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving directories to new directories on multiple servers

Hi - I am new to unix scripts...I need to move several directories on multiple servers to new directories. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mackdaddy07
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Tar and moving directories

I'm redoing my file system partitions on a Sunblade 100. The system came with a 999mb root and slice 6 with 35GB. I redid the file system by creating separate /opt1, /usr1, /var1, and a /data on different partitions (slice 3, 4, 5 and 7). I need a command to tar my opt, var, opt, usr that's under... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stocksj
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files between directories using SFTP

I want to connect to an SFTP server, GET some files, then move those files to a different directory on the SFTP server so I don't try to GET them next time. But there doesn't seem to be a way to move files between directories on the remote server from SFTP. I missing something obvious? And if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjhancock
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving Directories Based on Modified date

Hi, How can I move directories (and all sub directories/files) from one directory to another based on the modified date of the directory? Currently the existing structure looks like this: /public_html/media/videos/tmb/34947/image1.jpg /public_html/media/videos/tmb/34947/image2.jpg ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbargers
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving files between directories !!

hi i have a list of directory in a text file with all directories name in a column.(this is not exactly a file but i need to do a grep and awk on a file to find that list) i have the source folders like abchome/abc/xxyz/nl_xxabc/mm// v01 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: debu000
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from several directories into parent

I am fairly new to bash(but am proficient in C++), and have only completed a few simple scripts. This is my first script that I actually need to do a serious task. All of my audiobooks are stored in traditional MP3 format: Music/Artist/Album/*.mp3 (which in this case is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gamendorf
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving files to different directories

im trying to move media and other files which are in a specified directory to another directory and create another one if it does not exits(where the files will go),them also create a directory will the remaining files with different extensions will go.my first problem is that my script is not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: elginmulizwa
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selective moving of directories

Hi there, I'm fairly new to Unix and have been getting my head round the command line for a FreeNAS install that I just did. I need to move a whole bunch of directories from one location to another and need a bit of help! I understand the basics of the 'mv' command but am not sure how to specify... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: randomgooner
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Expect and scp. Not moving directories

An Expect script using scp to copy directories is not moving the subdirectories as wanted. The directory structure is: computerA (user 'test') /home/test/parentDir/subdir1 /home/test/parentDir/subdir2 and I want them copied to computerB (user 'archive') /home/archive/subdir1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nohj ordpl
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving and moving files into directories, creating directories, etc.

how can i move "dataName".sql.gz into a folder called 'database' and then move "$fileName".tar.gz * .htaccess into a folder called 'www' with the entire gzipped file being "$fileName".tar.gz? Is this doable or overly complex. so mydemo--2015-03-23-1500.tar.gz > database -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
5 Replies
BEAV(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   BEAV(1)

NAME
beav - binary file editor and viewer SYNOPSIS
beav [file...] DESCRIPTION
This is a brief description of the minimal set of commands that are necessary to start using beav effectively. For more information, review the file /usr/share/doc/beav/beav140.txt.gz. The file-visit command, Ctl-X Ctl-V, can be used to read a file in for editing. The file can also be read in from the command line; beav <edit_file>. Data is displayed in one or more windows. These commands can be used to navigate around the windows. move-back-char Ctl-B moves left move-back-line Ctl-P moves up move-forw-char Ctl-F moves right move-forw-line Ctl-N moves down window-delete Ctl-X 0 delete window window-expand Ctl-X 1 expand window The move-to-byte command, Ctl-X G, will prompt you for a byte position to move to. These commands will insert a zero byte at the cursor position or delete the byte at that position. insert-unit Ctl-X I delete-forw-unit Esc D The file-save command, Ctl-X Ctl-S, will save the data to the file if a change has been made. The help command, Esc ?, will display a list of all commands and their current key bindings. The abort-cmd command, Ctl-G, will abort any command that is in operation. The quit-no-save command, Ctl-X Ctl-C, will exit beav. If there is any data that has not been saved you will be warned. FILES
/usr/share/doc/beav/beav140.txt.gz BEAV(1)