Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Newly relabelled disc unable to initialize to Solaris 8 login - please help Post 302877655 by DR_RALT on Monday 2nd of December 2013 07:10:19 PM
Old 12-02-2013
Question Newly relabelled disc unable to initialize to Solaris 8 login - please help

We are having a problem with initializing Solaris 8 installed on a Sunblade 1500 after having cloned the hard disc.

(The cloning process was done in a windows environment. Not a UNIX environment.)

Immediately after the cloning process neither hard disc would boot until the format label command was used to re-label the discs. Now they boot, but the previously installed Solaris 8 does not initialize to the login screen. Instead, the startup process dead ends in a black screen.

Any insight, suggestions, or comments would be greatly appreciated.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error: Internal system error: Unable to initialize standard output file

Hey guys, need some help. Running AIX Version 5.2 and one of our cron jobs is writing errors to a log file. Any ideas on the following error message. Error: Internal system error: Unable to initialize standard output file I'm guessing more info might be needed, so let me know. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firkus
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Unable to login using ssh,telnet onto my solaris machine with solaris 10 installed

Hi, I am unable to login into my terminal hosting Solaris 10 and get the below error message "Server refused to allocate pty ld.so.1: sh: fatal: libc.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory " Is there anyways i can get into my machine and what kind of changes are required to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
7 Replies

3. Solaris

Unable to login Solaris 10 Sparc - Data Access Error

Hello everyone, This is the first time I am installing Solaris. I have SunBlade 1500 Wrkstn. I installed Solaris 10 Sparc. The installation went successfully but I don't get the login screen. I get the following error message: Boot device: disk:a File and agrs:- Data Access Error Ok ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfsaeed
4 Replies

4. Solaris

unable to login Solaris 10

I have inherited a solaris 10 server. I went to log into it the other day over the console connection, and after sucessfully entering the password, I was booted back to the login prompt with no errors visible. If I enter an incorect password, the console displays 'incorrect password' and kicks... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sol-nova
8 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

Solaris Auditing: Newly specified events not being logged

Hi all I'm busy testing auditing on Solaris 10. I am using the syslog plugin to get real time view of what's happening on the system. Initially I am only monitoring lo events. The audit_control file looked like this: dir:/var/audit flags:lo minfree:20 naflags:lo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: notreallyhere
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris- How to scan newly attached NIC's

Hi folks, How can I scan newly attached network interfaces to server without reboot? Is there any command or something to scan without reboot. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
5 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Unable to create windows recovery disc

Getting error while creating windows recovery disc Please see attachment (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Could not logon to newly installed Solaris 11.2

Dear Solaris 11 experts, I can not logon to a newly installed Solaris 5.11 11.2 i86pc i386 i86pc just downloaded today, despite having entered username and password to be created. However, I cannot get on to this workstation after Solaris installation completion. Can you advice how to reset my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjackson123
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

"Unable to Detect Newly added HDD - Redhat 5"

Hi Folks, I am unable to detected newly added HDD in my redhat-5 OS. I am expecting to get /dev/sdb. Following are the utilized commands or syntax. root@hostname% cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5.4 (Tikanga) echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/scan %... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sricharan21
1 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)