Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem getting mailx to send true Bcc mail to multiple recipients Post 302877464 by legrandtimonier on Sunday 1st of December 2013 02:03:34 PM
Old 12-01-2013
That's it! But one more question about Bccing with mailx

Hi,

That cracked it. The only (very small) problem is that each person in the Bcc sees me in the To: heading of their email. They don't see others, which is perfect for Bcc, but they do see me (i.e. the last one in the code you sent in your previous message with a space at the end of the Bcc list instead of the comma). Is that normal? Is there any way of making sure multiple Bcc recipients see absolutely nothing apart from the originator of the email? But even as things stand right now I can work like this. Thanks for staying with me up to this point. Regards, Gary

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using mailx to send a log file to my outlook e-mail account

I like to use mailx -s to send an entire xxxxx.log to my outlook e-mail account. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: simt
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using mailx with multiple recipients

I am trying to use a file containing email addresses in my mailx command like the following: SUBJECT="Kronos User Report" BODY="kronos.txt" MAILTO="kronosmail.txt" mailx -s "$SUBJECT" $MAILTO < $BODY This works fine for the body of the message but for the recipient it says: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdhalepaska
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Mailx command to send mail with attachment

Hi, I am using mailx command to send a mail with attachment. It's working fine, but with attachment I am getting one extra attachment like (ATT00131.txt). I have tried to use unix2dos command also. But still I am getting the extra attachment. I am using the following code: subject="temp... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: viswanatharv
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to send e-mail using mailx command

Hi All, Can you please help me in solving this. I am facing some problem sending mails. If I use like this, I am able to send mail the mail echo "This is an automated e-mail; please do not reply." | mailx -s "Good Morning ." 'abc@xys.com' But if I use like this, then I am unable to send... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manas6
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to send file as attachment using mail or mailx

I have a need to send a file from the unix command line to be sent as an attachment. Is this possible? That is when I open my outlook email I need to file to appear as an attachment. Also, is there a way to use the mail binary (not mailx) to modify the "reply address". mailx -r works but I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

send attachment and body in one mail using mailx

Hi, Our requirement is to send an attachment and content in a single mail. I am using the below command to send attachement. --------------------- (uuencode $exp_file $exp_file) |mailx -s "$email_subject" $EmailRecipients -------------------- I m not able to send any message in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Unable to send mail through mailx

Hi, I am using solaris 5.9 OS and I am facing an issues with mailx. My SMTP port is configured to listen 6190 and not the default one which is 25. I can send mail to my inbox when i do it manually through the following steps root@<dbname> # telnet 15.12.88.10 6190 Trying 15.12.88.10...... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Srinathkiru
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send mail using mailx to CC only, not TO

Hi All, I am using mailx to send the mail. Due to some changes in the requirement, I need to send the mail to CC only (an Email id in CC), with no email ID in "TO" field. Can we do that? bcz I used -c flag only and got the message:":The flags you gave make no sense since you're not sending... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unankix
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx command - send mail as table format

I have to send a couple of rows that have been returned from a SQL query. I have written the output of the query to a file and while i try to print this in the mail body the formatting goes wrong. Intended Output in mail body: Col1 Col2 Col3 ------ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwertyu
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to send the mail using mail and mailx command

Hi All, I am trying to send a mail from linux server but could'nt able to send the mail. I tried the below syntax's so far but no luck. mail -s “Hello world” abc@xyz.com < /usr/g/txt.log cat "txt.log" | mailx -s "Hello world" abc@xyz.com mailx -s “Hello world” abc@xyz.com <... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
2 Replies
post(8mh)																 post(8mh)

Name
       post - deliver a message

Syntax
       /usr/lib/mh/post [ options ] file

Description
       The  program  is called by to deliver the message in the named file to local and remote users.  In fact, all of the functions attributed to
       on its reference page are performed by with acting as a relatively simple pre-processor.  Thus, it  is  which  parses  the  various  header
       fields, appends From: and Date: lines, and interacts with the transport system.

Normally, would not be called directly by the user.

It searches the To:, cc:, Bcc:, and Resent-xxx: header lines of the specified message for destination addresses, checks these addresses for
       validity, and formats them so as to conform to ARPAnet Internet Message Format protocol (unless the -noformat flag is set).  This will nor-
       mally cause @local-site to be appended to each local destination address, as well as any local return addresses.

If a Bcc: field is encountered, the mail system will use its addresses for delivery.  The Bcc: is removed from the message sent to original
       recipients.  The copied recipients will receive an entirely new message with a minimal set of headers.  The mail system includes a copy	of
       the message sent to the original recipients in the body of the message.

This  command  consults	the  environment variable $SIGNATURE to determine the sender's personal name in constructing the From: line of the
       message.

Options
       -alias aliasfile
		 Specifies a file that should take aliases from.  More than one file can be specified, each being preceded with the -alias option.
		 automatically consults the system alias file, If there is an Aliasfile entry in your also consults the file named in that entry.

-filter filterfile
       -nofilter Filters  (re-formats)	messages sent to blind copy recipients.  Recipients named in the Bcc: field normally receive a new message
		 which includes a copy of the message sent to the other recipients.  If this option is specified, this copy of the message is fil-
		 tered according to the instructions in the named file.  The default is -nofilter.

-format
       -noformat Formats  messages so as to conform to ARPAnet Internet Message Format protocol.  This is the default behavior.  You can stop from
		 formatting messages in this way by using the -noformat option.

-help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-msgid
       -nomsgid  Adds a Message-ID: or Resent-Message-ID: field to the header.

-mts smtp Specifies the mail system over which mail is sent.  The only value allowed is smtp, which is the  standard  ULTRIX  mail  system.
		 Additional values are supported only for use with other mail systems.

-verbose
       -noverbose
		 Informs the user of each step of the posting/filing process.

-watch
       -nowatch  Allows the user to watch the transport system's handling of the message (for example, local and fast delivery).

-width columns
		 Specifies the preferred length of the header components that contain addresses.

The default settings for are:
       -alias /usr/lib/mh/MailAliases
       -format
       -nomsgid
       -mts smtp
       -noverbose
       -nowatch
       -width 72
       -nofilter

Restrictions
       For this version, the -mts option only supports the value smtp.	Additional values are supported for use only with other mail systems.

Profile Components
       The command does not consult the user's

Files
       The system customization file.

The program to process Fcc:s.

The program to process Bcc:s.

The system alias file.

See Also
       comp(1mh), mhmail(1mh), send(1mh), mh-alias(5mh), mh-mail(5mh), mtstailor(5mh)
       Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC 822)

post(8mh)