Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem getting mailx to send true Bcc mail to multiple recipients Post 302877460 by Don Cragun on Sunday 1st of December 2013 01:40:14 PM
Old 12-01-2013
You have to send the message To: at least one address. You can Cc: and Bcc: the message to zero or more addresses. If you don't want any of the recipients to know who any of the other recipients are on you Bcc: list, send it to yourself and Bcc everyone else as in:
Code:
mailx -b person1@somewhere.com,person2@somewhere.com legrandtimonier@here.com

This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using mailx to send a log file to my outlook e-mail account

I like to use mailx -s to send an entire xxxxx.log to my outlook e-mail account. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: simt
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using mailx with multiple recipients

I am trying to use a file containing email addresses in my mailx command like the following: SUBJECT="Kronos User Report" BODY="kronos.txt" MAILTO="kronosmail.txt" mailx -s "$SUBJECT" $MAILTO < $BODY This works fine for the body of the message but for the recipient it says: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdhalepaska
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Mailx command to send mail with attachment

Hi, I am using mailx command to send a mail with attachment. It's working fine, but with attachment I am getting one extra attachment like (ATT00131.txt). I have tried to use unix2dos command also. But still I am getting the extra attachment. I am using the following code: subject="temp... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: viswanatharv
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to send e-mail using mailx command

Hi All, Can you please help me in solving this. I am facing some problem sending mails. If I use like this, I am able to send mail the mail echo "This is an automated e-mail; please do not reply." | mailx -s "Good Morning ." 'abc@xys.com' But if I use like this, then I am unable to send... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manas6
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to send file as attachment using mail or mailx

I have a need to send a file from the unix command line to be sent as an attachment. Is this possible? That is when I open my outlook email I need to file to appear as an attachment. Also, is there a way to use the mail binary (not mailx) to modify the "reply address". mailx -r works but I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

send attachment and body in one mail using mailx

Hi, Our requirement is to send an attachment and content in a single mail. I am using the below command to send attachement. --------------------- (uuencode $exp_file $exp_file) |mailx -s "$email_subject" $EmailRecipients -------------------- I m not able to send any message in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Unable to send mail through mailx

Hi, I am using solaris 5.9 OS and I am facing an issues with mailx. My SMTP port is configured to listen 6190 and not the default one which is 25. I can send mail to my inbox when i do it manually through the following steps root@<dbname> # telnet 15.12.88.10 6190 Trying 15.12.88.10...... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Srinathkiru
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send mail using mailx to CC only, not TO

Hi All, I am using mailx to send the mail. Due to some changes in the requirement, I need to send the mail to CC only (an Email id in CC), with no email ID in "TO" field. Can we do that? bcz I used -c flag only and got the message:":The flags you gave make no sense since you're not sending... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unankix
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx command - send mail as table format

I have to send a couple of rows that have been returned from a SQL query. I have written the output of the query to a file and while i try to print this in the mail body the formatting goes wrong. Intended Output in mail body: Col1 Col2 Col3 ------ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwertyu
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to send the mail using mail and mailx command

Hi All, I am trying to send a mail from linux server but could'nt able to send the mail. I tried the below syntax's so far but no luck. mail -s “Hello world” abc@xyz.com < /usr/g/txt.log cat "txt.log" | mailx -s "Hello world" abc@xyz.com mailx -s “Hello world” abc@xyz.com <... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
2 Replies
mh-mail(5mh)															      mh-mail(5mh)

Name
       mh-mail - message format for MH message system

Description
       MH  processes  messages	in  a  particular  format.  Although neither Bell nor Berkeley mailers produce message files in the format that MH
       prefers, MH can read message files in that format.

Each user has a maildrop that initially receives all messages processed by

The command reads from the maildrop and incorporates the new messages found there into the user's own folder.  The maildrop consists of one
       or more messages.

Messages  are  expected to consist of lines of text.  Graphics and binary data are not handled.	No data compression is accepted.  All text
       is in ASCII 7-bit data.

The general memo framework of RFC 822 is used.  A message consists of a block of information in a rigid format, followed  by  general  text
       with  no  specified  format.  The rigidly-formatted first part of a message is called the message header; the free-format portion is called
       the body.  The header must always exist, but the body is optional.  These parts are separated by a blank line or by a line of dashes.   The
       following example shows the standard default MH mail header:
       To:
       cc:
       Subject:
       --------

The  header  is composed of one or more header items.  Each header item can be viewed as a single logical line of ASCII characters.  If the
       text of a header item extends across several real lines, the continuation lines are indicated by leading spaces or tabs.

Each header item is called a component and is composed of a keyword or name, along with associated text.  The keyword begins  at  the  left
       margin, and is terminated by a colon (:).  It cannot contain spaces or tabs, and cannot exceed 63 characters, as specified by RFC 822.

The  text  for most formatted components, such as Date: and Message-Id:, is produced automatically.  The user enters address fields such as
       To: and cc:, and the Subject: field.  Internet addresses are assigned mailbox names and host computer specifications.  The  general  format
       is  local@domain,  for example, MH@UCI or MH@UCI-ICSA.ARPA.  A comma (,) separates multiple addresses.  A missing host/domain is assumed to
       be the local host/domain.

A blank line (or a line of dashes) signals that all following text up to the end of the file is the body of the message.  No formatting	is
       expected or enforced within the body.

The following is a list of header components that are considered meaningful to MH programs:

Date:	 Added by contains the date and time of the message's entry into the transport system.

From:	 Added	by  contains the address of the author or authors (there may be more than one if a Sender: field is present).  Replies are
		 typically directed to addresses in the Reply-To: or From: field.  The former has precedence, if present.

Sender:	 Added by in the event that the message already has a From: line.  This line contains the address of the actual  sender.   Replies
		 are never sent to addresses in the Sender: field.

To:	 Contains addresses of primary recipients.

cc:	 Contains addresses of secondary recipients.

Bcc:	 Contains  the	addresses of recipients who receive blind carbon copies of the message.  The Bcc: line does not appear on the mes-
		 sage as sent, so these recipients are not listed.  Recipients in the Bcc: field receive a copy of  the  message  with	a  minimal
		 header.  MH uses an encapsulation method for blind copies; see

Fcc:	 Causes  to copy the message into the specified folder for the sender, if the message was successfully given to the transport sys-
		 tem.

Message-ID:
		 A unique message identifier added by if the -msgid flag is set.

Subject:  Sender's commentary.  It is displayed by

In-Reply-To:
		 A commentary line added by when replying to a message.

Resent-Date:
		 Added by when a message is re-distributed.

Resent-From:
		 Added by when a message is re-distributed.

Resent-To:
		 New recipients for a message re-sent by

Resent-cc:
		 New secondary recipients for a message re-sent by

Resent-Bcc:
		 New blind carbon copy recipients for a message re-sent by

Resent-Fcc:
		 Places a copy of a message re-sent by into the sender's folder.

Resent-Message-Id:
		 A unique identifier of a message re-sent by This is appended by if the -msgid flag is set.

Resent:	 Annotation added by when the -annotate option is specified.

Forwarded:
		 Annotation added by when the -annotate option is specified.

Replied:  Annotation added by when the -annotate option is specified.

Files
       Standard location of mail drop.

See Also
       Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC 822)

mh-mail(5mh)