Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH arrays and variables of variables in C++ Post 302877457 by daPeach on Sunday 1st of December 2013 01:23:02 PM
Old 12-01-2013
eval is evil

bash has got indirection
Code:
$ var=VAR
$ VAR0=good
$ VAR1=excellent
$ for ((k=0; k < 2 ;k++)); do nv="$var$k"; echo "$nv = ${!nv}"; done
VAR0 = good
VAR1 = excellent

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variables

Ummm can anybody help me with this one? Its prob quite simple. I bascially have a file name say J1x2x3x7.dat Im using the file name as a variable in a bash script. Want I want to do is extract most of the file name and make it a new variable expect with say one of the number now a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichieFondel
2 Replies

2. Programming

How to convert byteArray variables to HexaString variables for Linux?

Hello everybody, I am having problem in converting byte array variables to Hexa String variables for Linux. I have done, converting byte array variables to Hexa String variables for Windows but same function doesn't work for linux. Is there any difference in OS ? The code for Windows is given... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritesh_163
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem assigning variables to arrays

Hi All, I have a problem assigning variables to script.I have a script in which i have a while loop now i have to assign some values obtained to an array which will be used later in the script.Can anyone help how to do that. At present my scrot looks like: co=0 pco=0 co=`cat /tmp/highcpu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk arrays and variables

I have two arrays values aname = first aname = last I would like to assign a variable to both arrays seperated by a comma fname=(aname","aname) that example does not work but that's something I would like to accomplish. Is it possible to assign a printf output to a variable. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Morph797
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Field Replacement, Assigning Fields to Variables, Lists/Arrays?

Okay, I've made threads on extracting fields and comparing strings in separate files in .csv's. I've written the following code with intentions of learning more. I just want this one question answered: How can I assign fields from a file(comma separated) to variables? My goal is to check... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chickeneaterguy
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating variables in bash

I am writing some scripts using bash and am wondering if there is a better way to perform the following set of formatting variables. s1=" " s2=" " s3=" " s4=" " s5=" " s6=" " s7=" " s8=" " frmt_titl="${bYl}%s${nClor}\n" frmt1_titl="${s1}$frmt_titl"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

functions and variables in bash

I have a bash script with some functions as below and am wondering if I can use the variables declared in setup in the other functions and in the rest of the bash script. setup(){ none=0; low=1; medium=2; high=3; debug=4 var1="red" var2="fred" } create_basemap() { ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script with multiple variables like 25 variables.

Hi All, i have a requirement where i have to run a script with at least 25 arguements and position of arguements can also change. the unapropriate way is like below. can we achieve this in more good and precise way?? #!/bin/ksh ##script is sample.ksh age=$1 gender=$2 class=$3 . . .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshman_Gupta
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)